Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

So you Arrived in Spain without Accommodation

So you Arrived in Spain without Accommodation

Old Apr 21st 2016, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Ash Jez is on a distinguished road
Default So you Arrived in Spain without Accommodation

I'm trying to get some idea of time scale so I'm wondering what others faced when they arrived in Spain without accommodation.

Due to making poor progress accommodation wise via the internet I'm considering just driving to the Almeria area of Spain and then, almost immediately visiting property agents so to find accommodation. I'm not sure however if this would work though as I can envisage long delays in viewings, agents having to contact landlord over a proposed new tenant, possible references and the like.

So, did you just arrive and seek or did you manage to source before arrival. Basically, I wish to rent long term, 6 -12 months quickly so I don't incur too much in the way of hotel bills. No sure if it makes a difference but I'm a single male mid 50's and ideally looking for something other than a flat. However, a flat would be acceptable short term.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So you Arrived in Spain without Accommodation

When we came we took a holiday let for 5 weeks, arranged before we came, in the area where we wanted to secure a long term let.
Once in our holiday let we approached several agents, all of whom turned out to be as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
We found our perfect long term let by doing the donkey work ourselves. We toured the area looking at rental signs and talking to people we saw on their terraces. Sometimes people with properties for sale may be sympathetic to a long term let.
Often whilst having a beer at a local bar and chatting to the bar man, or other punters, can result in someone knowing someone who has a property to let.
Good luck with your quest but I fear you won´t find much whilst surfing, you need to be on the ground. If you come out of season you can get some very good deals on holiday lets, ours was 100 GBP per week.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks stevesaintly. Does anyone know of a reasonably reliable website where enquirers are replied to. I have tried a very few with little success so far as steve says. Surly with so many rental properties available, owners and agents would be on the ball if only to reply with a standard email to see if they get further follow ups on the initial inquiry. I've see recommendations for fotocasa . es though not tried them yet. Anyone given them a go. I came across milanuncios dot com last night and that site appears well organised. Any comments appreciated. I'm looking North of Almeria.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:00 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Hotels are cheap in Almeria. I would suggest you negotiate a reduced rate deal for say a month with a convenient hotel or holiday let.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

That's an idea Missile. On the other hand the internet is great but so much is out of date. Classified ads with availability accommodation wise, at 6 years old.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:25 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Even if it was possible, I would advise against committing to a long term rental over internet without first viewing a property.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash Jez
I'm trying to get some idea of time scale so I'm wondering what others faced when they arrived in Spain without accommodation.

Due to making poor progress accommodation wise via the internet I'm considering just driving to the Almeria area of Spain and then, almost immediately visiting property agents so to find accommodation. I'm not sure however if this would work though as I can envisage long delays in viewings, agents having to contact landlord over a proposed new tenant, possible references and the like.

So, did you just arrive and seek or did you manage to source before arrival. Basically, I wish to rent long term, 6 -12 months quickly so I don't incur too much in the way of hotel bills. No sure if it makes a difference but I'm a single male mid 50's and ideally looking for something other than a flat. However, a flat would be acceptable short term.
When we retired we came to Benidorm and stayed in a pre booked holiday apartment (booked for three weeks) with the intention of having the first week as a complete holiday then to look for somewhere as long term accommodation.
Within the first three days we had viewings sorted and secured our first long term apartment. We had loads of help from agents. We did the leg work and visited numerous agencies, some had long term apartments that were unsuitable but all were willing to show us around the apartments that day or next. The owners of apartments are only a phone call away and usually leave it to the agency to sort out.
The only unfortunate thing in our saga is we ended up with a holiday apartment and a secured long term apartment which overlapped for a week!
If you pick the proper time of year you won't have a problem.
Steve.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
Even if it was possible, I would advise against committing to a long term rental over internet without first viewing a property.
My sister lives in the Almeria area so I could ask her to have a look. That said, I don't want to be a burden or dependent on anyone. Sister included.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 4:14 pm
Started off with nothing

Can sister can advise an estate agent? In my experience they respond better if you phone rather than e mail.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
Can sister can advise an estate agent? In my experience they respond better if you phone rather than e mail.
Yes I suppose my sister could. She's about 15km from the Huercal-Overa area where I'm monitoring an agents stock. I'm hoping to find something where less expats are as that will force me more to learn Spanish as I'll have less English speakers to communicate with. No, I'm not antisocial of Brits.