Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Madrid (from France) with 2 cats.

Moving to Madrid (from France) with 2 cats.

Old Apr 20th 2016, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Gypsy57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Madrid (from France) with 2 cats.

Hello everyone,
So I'mcurrently at university in France (but yes, I'm English) and I'm coming to Madrid for one year as an Erasmus student.
My main issue at the moment is my 2 cats. As I'm only coming for one year, I obviously want to move them an inexpensive way. I'm waiting to hear a quote from a couple of relocation companies, I've looked into driving with a friend etc, but I'm thinking about the train. Has anybody done this kind of move?
Please please don't ask me to send them back home or to leave them behind with somebody. This is NOT an option!!
All (other) input welcome!
Thanks.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 3:05 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Madrid (from France) with 2 cats.

Originally Posted by Gypsy57
Hello everyone,
So I'mcurrently at university in France (but yes, I'm English) and I'm coming to Madrid for one year as an Erasmus student.
My main issue at the moment is my 2 cats. As I'm only coming for one year, I obviously want to move them an inexpensive way. I'm waiting to hear a quote from a couple of relocation companies, I've looked into driving with a friend etc, but I'm thinking about the train. Has anybody done this kind of move?
Please please don't ask me to send them back home or to leave them behind with somebody. This is NOT an option!!
All (other) input welcome!
Thanks.
Hi from the France forum!
Voyager avec votre animal | SNCF
says that it costs 7€ per cat and/or container (maximum of two cats), on all their trains, excluding Eurostar. This must therefore be valid for trans-Europe trains....
I've never actually done this, but it can't be easy to have two containers on your lap, not to mention cope with all your other luggage at both ends. Even more so if you have to change trains. Whereabouts will you be leaving from?
It would probably be easier to go by car with a friend....
Old Apr 21st 2016, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks! Yes I have also checked by train and you are right about it being a pain with the cages and my own bags... Hopefully a friend will be able to come with me although she doesn't know for sure just yet. I will be coming from Nice which is 2 train changes!
I'm hoping somebody might have already done a similar trip...??

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi from the France forum!
Voyager avec votre animal | SNCF
says that it costs 7€ per cat and/or container (maximum of two cats), on all their trains, excluding Eurostar. This must therefore be valid for trans-Europe trains....
I've never actually done this, but it can't be easy to have two containers on your lap, not to mention cope with all your other luggage at both ends. Even more so if you have to change trains. Whereabouts will you be leaving from?
It would probably be easier to go by car with a friend....
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 9:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gypsy57
Hi, thanks! Yes I have also checked by train and you are right about it being a pain with the cages and my own bags... Hopefully a friend will be able to come with me although she doesn't know for sure just yet. I will be coming from Nice which is 2 train changes!
I'm hoping somebody might have already done a similar trip...??
Try the France forum - you never know...
Or try
https://www.blablacar.fr/
specifying that you have two cats (some people are allergic!).
Good luck!
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Great ideas, thank you