Wikiposts

Snow in Spain

Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snow in Spain

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Oh well I'm sure if the Catholics in Spain can cope with it I'll be fine living in a small commuter town
Bring your bike with you. ;-)
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Bring your bike with you. ;-)
Bike? We don't believe in bikes....they're just a myth! I'll just drive my gas guzzling needlessly huge and heavy 4x4 V8 equipped SUV around
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:21 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

If I never see snow again, save on the TV, it will suit me fine. I canot wait for the day I up sticks and flee the UK.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:30 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Well gotta remember geography is important to climate as well not just latitude. Northwest Spain has a British Isles climate and the interior is more continental plus you gotta factor in elevation differences and Spain's land differs a lot in elevation from low plains to highlands in like 80% of the country.

Anyway, how much does it snow in the interior? I want to live in Spain after I graduate from university here and wanna live in places like Madrid, Extremadura, C-L, C-LM, and Navarra
Doh. I was just giving my location..It is similar to the UK except it is much brighter and a bit warmer - 5 degrees warmer when I compare to Herts.

It seldom snows where I live (thank goodness cos I hate it!)

Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:25 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
Doh. I was just giving my location..It is similar to the UK except it is much brighter and a bit warmer - 5 degrees warmer when I compare to Herts.

It seldom snows where I live (thank goodness cos I hate it!)

For many years I was told that the northern coast was nice and pleasant in winter (well, apart from when it rained ). I must admit I've been there a couple of times in winter lately, and yes it can be very nice even in mid-winter. Yet you only need to go 20 or 30 miles inland and you can see snow everywhere, because of the mountains and high ground. I suspect cities like Burgos and Leon (which to be fair is on the meseta and not in the mountains) get very cold in winter.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:57 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

We came to Asturias this time last year and when we drove up from the South, it was fun to see the weather and the landscape change so much, the further up we drove.

It rained heavy in Madrid and then sunny and bright further up.

But when I saw the Picos de Europa on the horizon, I started to get really worried. I had visions of driving through snow and mountains. There was some snow around on the moutains but fortunately not on the motorway. Once we passed Oviedo and to Aviles did I feel better.

We live near the coast so are quite warm compared to the inland areas.

Today is quite cold but not cold enough for gloves and scarfs yet! My kids didn't even want to wear their coats on the way home from school either. Local kids keep them on - perhaps mine are just crazy and haven't climatized.

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
But when I saw the Picos de Europa on the horizon, I started to get really worried. I had visions of driving through snow and mountains. There was some snow around on the moutains but fortunately not on the motorway. Once we passed Oviedo and to Aviles did I feel better.
Aw driving the snow can be quite fun! Just don't drive 65 mph through it and ul be fine
Old Nov 21st 2010, 3:26 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Can't be long now.... It's getting cold right now in the UK, with snow forecast for the end of the week. I've heard it's already cold in central places like Madrid. Get those gloves and scarves out!
Old Nov 21st 2010, 3:43 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Snow has already fallen in the Pyrenees and the highest parts of the mountain range on the borders between Galician and Castile Y Leon. I bet some has also fallen on the tops of the Picos too. How much I do not know.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Can't be long now.... It's getting cold right now in the UK, with snow forecast for the end of the week. I've heard it's already cold in central places like Madrid. Get those gloves and scarves out!
I can see the snow on the tops of the Sierra Nevada from my terrace. Been there for a couple of weeks now
Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Stevie a couple of weeks ago I was asking for information on Madrid

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691624

You mentioned the weather.

We are going to the Algarve instead

Madrid can wait til April / May
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Im just hoping I dont get the snow like this again.... that was hard work with 6 horses to look after... never mind getting snowed in the day my daughter flew in to Alicante.... no hope of picking her up..

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 2:29 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to reply to this thread until I saw I already had, a year ago! I thought I’d been caught in a time warp.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:33 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by HBG
I was going to reply to this thread until I saw I already had, a year ago! I thought I’d been caught in a time warp.
It's cunning, this winter business. It comes back every year to catch us out.
I suspect, though, like me you're old enough to remember the two worst UK winters of the last century. Yes, that's right, Mike and Bernie..