Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Smug and superior

Smug and superior

Old Aug 30th 2015, 12:13 pm
Banned

MartinAnt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Smug and superior

I recall years ago, on one particular Med holiday, having a few beers with my mates and talking to a group of English who were over for the season doing various jobs to keep them afloat. After an hour or so they left and one of them said would we like to come, but the others objected and said that we could not come because we were not workers. I thought, what a bunch of smug and superior wan***s. In fact that kind of attitude was very obvious amongst the expat workers - the belief that they were in the club and the tourists were just a bunch of wanabies and unworthy. I also recall the time when I started out in IT. I knew very little, yet some of those with the knowledge were very reluctant to pass it on, because passing on that knowledge reduced their currency if everyone else knew what they did.

I can't help but wonder if this site suffers in the same way.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smug and superior

You will still certainly meet people like that still Unfortunately.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinAnt
I recall years ago, on one particular Med holiday, having a few beers with my mates and talking to a group of English who were over for the season doing various jobs to keep them afloat. After an hour or so they left and one of them said would we like to come, but the others objected and said that we could not come because we were not workers. I thought, what a bunch of smug and superior wan***s. In fact that kind of attitude was very obvious amongst the expat workers - the belief that they were in the club and the tourists were just a bunch of wanabies and unworthy. I also recall the time when I started out in IT. I knew very little, yet some of those with the knowledge were very reluctant to pass it on, because passing on that knowledge reduced their currency if everyone else knew what they did.

Whilst there's knobheads in every walk of life I find it very unfair to label this entire sites membership in such a manner.

There are very many helpful knowledgable members who enthusiastically pass on quality advice and offer assistance.

As a novice myself I can certainly say I have learned and been helped by using this forum
Old Aug 30th 2015, 1:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

You will always meet people like that in all walks of life whether it is in person or on the internet. The vast majority of members on the Spanish forum try to be helpful and endeavour to provide accurate information whenever possible. In my opinion they are not behaving in the manner that you are describing but are answering your question honestly.

We all experience Spain in different ways. I always say that very few people on here would like to live life in the way that I do and likewise I would not want to live their lives. We are all different with various likes and dislikes, values, needs and wants so it is impossible to give definitive answers to all questions.

Spain is a wonderful place to live but it is also very frustrating because the answer to a lot of questions is "it depends on the province that you live". A classic example of this is the car tax because each town sets their own charge.

What you are seeing as smug and superior is in fact people being cautious about giving the wrong information and also avoiding being shouted down by others who would not or could not envisage life without certain so called necessities.

Rosemary
Old Aug 30th 2015, 2:34 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

You asked for advice, lots of people gave you some very good answers, and even helped qualify those answers.

I realise you're new around here, but if you believe what you received was "smug and superior", then you obviously haven't yet met a few of our finest. Lucky for you, they haven't found you yet.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amideislas
You asked for advice, lots of people gave you some very good answers, and even helped qualify those answers.

I realise you're new around here, but if you believe what you received was "smug and superior", then you obviously haven't yet met a few of our finest. Lucky for you, they haven't found you yet.
LOL
Old Aug 30th 2015, 2:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by amideislas

I realise you're new around here, .

See what I mean - patronising and superior.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 3:08 pm
Account Closed

See what I mean - patronising and superior.
Smug :- having or showing an excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements.
Patronising :- treat with an apparent kindness which betrays a feeling of superiority.

I fail to see how Ami's answer was either of those, so I guess your just trolling for the fun of it
Old Aug 30th 2015, 3:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mfh
Smug :- having or showing an excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements.
Patronising :- treat with an apparent kindness which betrays a feeling of superiority.

I fail to see how Ami's answer was either of those, so I guess your just trolling for the fun of it
I did not say smug, I said patronising and superior, which I think fits. The reference to my being "new" was made by someone who felt they were higher up the pecking order with the superiority with which to make such concessions for my apparent faux pas. And patronising because they disguised their superiority with an attempt to be gracious by giving such concessions.

PS not trolling, just calling it the way it is - or at least the way it can appear.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 3:43 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I did not say smug, I said patronising and superior, which I think fits. The reference to my being "new" was made by someone who felt they were higher up the pecking order with the superiority with which to make such concessions for my apparent faux pas. And patronising because they disguised their superiority with an attempt to be gracious by giving such concessions.

PS not trolling, just calling it the way it is - or at least the way it can appear.
Smug is in the title.
You're making wrongful assumptions, and Amideislas could rightfully take umbrage. Dondurma calls him/herself a novice, with several times more posts than yourself. All things being relative, you can't deny that you're "new here".
I'm just glad that the subject of "cost of living" didn't come up on the France forum...

Last edited by dmu; Aug 30th 2015 at 3:49 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 3:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dmu
Smug is in the title.
But not in what I said in response to amideislas' post.

Originally Posted by dmu
Dondurma calls him/herself a novice, with about 9 times more posts than yourself. All things being relative, you can't deny that you're "new here".
That's modesty and self referential.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

@Martin

While I think you are a troll on a Sunday afternoon enjoying yourself I think you need to up your game a bit, Here's a link to help you do that. I'm really looking forward to an improved performance from you in the next few days
Please don't disappoint

How to Be a Troll - wikiHow
Old Aug 30th 2015, 4:11 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The troll has now gone back to his cave.

Thread closed.