Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Smoking Ban, Part 2

Smoking Ban, Part 2

Old Mar 5th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smoking Ban, Part 2

Originally Posted by HBG
I watched a family example in recent years where an extremely health-conscious husband, who never smoked, did indeed outlive his smoking wife by two years.

They were miserable years, slowly ending in pain and suffering, and the indignity of becoming helpless and being cared for by uncaring relatives. I watched him once, he was struggling and worrying while eating a healthy apple for breakfast along with a line of pills, and I felt like shoving a cigarette into his mouth to relax him.

So your a smoker then

To think not smoking leads to a miserable life is ludicrous , if you want to feel top of the world and on a natural high spend 4 or 5 hours a week in the gym or go on 20 km hike in the mountains every week, youll also feel relaxed afterwards

I gave up over 20 years ago, did not like the tight chest in the morning, to relax now as well as exercise its Rioja or a few cans of Mahou Classica , the very thought of smoking makes me want to heave.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 10:48 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
So your a smoker then

To think not smoking leads to a miserable life is ludicrous , if you want to feel top of the world and on a natural high spend 4 or 5 hours a week in the gym or go on 20 km hike in the mountains every week, youll also feel relaxed afterwards

I gave up over 20 years ago, did not like the tight chest in the morning, to relax now as well as exercise its Rioja or a few cans of Mahou Classica , the very thought of smoking makes me want to heave.

Ah, now thats another study I was involved in. There are more injuries that go thru hospitals from exercise than smoking related !!!!!

And I have to say the thought of Rioja or cans of Mahou Classica turn my stomach more than having a ciggie!

Listen, everything is bad for you if you do too much of it. We all know that. The question is should Brussels be censoring our freedoms and telling us all how we should live to this extent. What on earth would happen if they decide to ban Alcohol in pubs and bars???? It is already a drug thats higher up the "dangerous drugs" scale than tobacco. You and the western world may sit there and say - "huh, well thats stupid", but why?? Already Britain is starting its warnings about the dangers of drink - which is usually the build up to wacking even more tax on the stuff, the next step could be ban it from being consumed in public places - ALL public places!!! Why is it that alcohol is socially acceptable and cigerettes are considered scum? Why???

Jo xxx
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I don’t think smoking is good for you, nor is heavy drinking and being overweight etc etc. Etc.

But there is evidence that stress is a bigger killer than all the other bad habits put together, so I strive for as much relaxed happiness as I can find in life.

That includes relaxing on my terrace at sunset and playing with my dogs, while sipping a decent red wine (for the heart and circulation) and a fag (to reduce stress, not that I feel much).

And I like the smell of cigarettes, especially on a middle-aged woman, I find it sexy. It reminds me of Marlene Dietrich, husky voices and rustling silk stockings.
How gross. I can remember when I was 16 kissing this guy and tasting the smoke in his mouth I nearly vomited and ran a mile.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:27 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
So your a smoker then

I didn’t start smoking until quite late in life and wish I hadn’t. Shortly afterwards, I stopped again for over three years, but then some trauma made me buy a packet of small cigars and off I went again. The next time I stopped for a year I turned into the Michelin man and started again

Six years ago my wife and I got hypnotised to stop. She’s still stopped, but I went back up to 25 stones in a year, twice my normal weight, and started again. I used to hide in the garage, down the bottom of the garden and never smoked indoors, she thought I had stopped too.

I remember when we were drinking coffee in a beach bar and I lit a cigarette. She was shocked and shouted, “What are you doing?”

I smoke outside now, and when I hide in my little Spanish bar among fellow lotus-eaters, and I’m going to stop again as soon as I’m ready. I just don’t like people telling me what to do.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Ah, now thats another study I was involved in. There are more injuries that go thru hospitals from exercise than smoking related !!!!!

And I have to say the thought of Rioja or cans of Mahou Classica turn my stomach more than having a ciggie!

Listen, everything is bad for you if you do too much of it. We all know that. The question is should Brussels be censoring our freedoms and telling us all how we should live to this extent. What on earth would happen if they decide to ban Alcohol in pubs and bars???? It is already a drug thats higher up the "dangerous drugs" scale than tobacco. You and the western world may sit there and say - "huh, well thats stupid", but why?? Already Britain is starting its warnings about the dangers of drink - which is usually the build up to wacking even more tax on the stuff, the next step could be ban it from being consumed in public places - ALL public places!!! Why is it that alcohol is socially acceptable and cigerettes are considered scum? Why???

Jo xxx

If it wasnt for Brussels you wouldnt be able to live in Spain
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:32 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
How gross. I can remember when I was 16 kissing this guy and tasting the smoke in his mouth I nearly vomited and ran a mile.
I was even younger than that when a girl put her tongue in my mouth and it nearly changed my sexual preferences.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:32 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
If it wasnt for Brussels you wouldnt be able to live in Spain
How do you know?

Jo xxx
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:36 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Oops! I thought you were a geezer - actually I suppose you might be
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know?

Jo xxx
ok I'll change the sentence..

Thanks to Brussels British people have the freedom to live in Spain as long as they like without any controls on who is allowed to live in the country.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:50 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but exercise does you some good - smoking doesn't.

OK That's personal taste. But having a glass of wine or a beer doesn't adversely affect anyone else. Having even only one cigarette in public always does.

Listen, everything is bad for you if you do too much of it. We all know that. The question is should Brussels be censoring our freedoms and telling us all how we should live to this extent.
Is it Brussels or is that just invoking the "Big Bad EU" fallacy?

What on earth would happen if they decide to ban Alcohol in pubs and bars???? It is already a drug thats higher up the "dangerous drugs" scale than tobacco. You and the western world may sit there and say - "huh, well thats stupid", but why?? Already Britain is starting its warnings about the dangers of drink - which is usually the build up to wacking even more tax on the stuff, the next step could be ban it from being consumed in public places - ALL public places!!! Why is it that alcohol is socially acceptable and cigerettes are considered scum? Why???
Jo xxx
Because the very act of smoking in public affects those around you adversely - always and without fail. The act of drinking in public doesn't. The effects of drinking too much might on occasion - but nobody is condoning that.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:19 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by jimenato
Yes but exercise does you some good - smoking doesn't.

OK That's personal taste. But having a glass of wine or a beer doesn't adversely affect anyone else. Having even only one cigarette in public always does.

Is it Brussels or is that just invoking the "Big Bad EU" fallacy?

Because the very act of smoking in public affects those around you adversely - always and without fail. The act of drinking in public doesn't. The effects of drinking too much might on occasion - but nobody is condoning that.
We're going round in circles!! Its not Brussels or the EU, I personally dont like being told what to do and I dont like seeing others have their lives invaded by those who know nothing about them.

Air con can remove cigarette smoke easily

Exercise does you no good if it means you end up with damaged joints, backs, etc. etc.

Alcohol is infinately more detrimental both healthwise and socially than fags. I dont wanna see that banned either BTW, but I hate the taste, the smell and its effect on people!

Jo xxx
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:36 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

I did read an article about Squirrels getting very violent in a park in London due to nicotine addiction. It was on telly aswell. Maybe cigarettes DO cause violent tendencies. Has there ever been a study into it.?
Everything in moderation is nicer for everyone..
When a government starts to tell you what to do, does it become kind of dictatorship. Off topic I know. But they can all smoke in parliament.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Oops! I thought you were a geezer - actually I suppose you might be
Errrr no, it should have been Chiclanagirl but someone dropped the "e"!
Attached Thumbnails Smoking Ban, Part 2-p3220034.jpg  
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:02 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

We're going round in circles!! Its not Brussels or the EU, I personally dont like being told what to do and I dont like seeing others have their lives invaded by those who know nothing about them.

Jo xxx
So why do you pay for things in Euros? Why do you pay your taxes? Register your car? In fact Jo, why bother with any law at all... you know thats a silly argument.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:40 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
So why do you pay for things in Euros? Why do you pay your taxes? Register your car? In fact Jo, why bother with any law at all... you know thats a silly argument.

and so's that!!!!

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.