Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Smoking ban AGAIN!!!

Smoking ban AGAIN!!!

Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:59 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smoking ban AGAIN!!!

Originally Posted by JnK
I think she's defending the right to freedom of choice and speech, just like you are exercising yours now.
Freedom of choice would be the choice to go into a bar without half choking to death on the smoke, leaving without clothes stinking to high heaven and not suffering both the short and long term affects of having this filthy,disgusting habit imposed on the system.

No doubt walking into a bar with a couple of savage rotties could be classed as freedom of choice in your book.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Oct 20th 2010 at 9:02 am.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:17 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo

I know so many people who have or who have died from cancer - they werent all smokers. I also know lots of people who havent got cancer and they're not all non smokers.
Are you saying that you don't think smoking is dangerous?
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:19 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Yes well I worked in the scientific industry, I know how it works!! Correlation! Smoking "MAY" cause cancer and heart disease, so every person who dies from those illnesses who happens a smoker becomes a statistic and dies thru smoking! No real proof, they just tick the box and hey presto - PROOF!

As the so called scientists I worked with used, "we could prove scientifically that putting umbrellas up causes it to rain!"

Jo xxx
Again, are you saying that you don't think there is a link between smoking and lung cancer?
Old Oct 20th 2010, 10:03 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

There are far more dangerous filthy habits that Brussels should be concentrating on dont you think??? What surprises me is the number of elderly smokers who like to go to a bar and have a ciggie and a drink - in Spain, some of these old chaps have been toddling along to the bar for years. In the streets, cafes, you see lots of elderly folk puffing away! surely that in itself is a sign as to how bad smoking is??? NOT! surely they'd all be dead if smoking kills.

I know so many people who have or who have died from cancer - they werent all smokers. I also know lots of people who havent got cancer and they're not all non smokers.

I agree its not a pleasant habit, but freedom of choice is being taken away, not only from the people, but the bar owners, which isnt right in a democracy

Theres a hidden agenda somewhere in all this!

Jo xxx

This is the usual whine of the smoker. 'There's no proof' 'People die from lung cancer who have never smoked'

Stupid, stupid, stupid. If you really believe that then you and your children should be forced to smoke.

Would you be happy if your children smoked? After all there's no proof that it causes cancer, so why shouldn't your kids all light up?

As for worse habits, care to name some? I'm genuinely curious. Just what are these things that are so much worse than smoking?

As for freedom of choice, what about mine? What about the waiters in the bars? Aren't they entitled to feedom to be free of smoke in their work environment? Or is your view that democracy is only for you and yours? It's for everyone.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 11:46 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jimenato
Are you saying that you don't think smoking is dangerous?
I think what she's saying is that it's not illegal, neither is drinking, and as adults surely we should all be able to decide what to do with our bodies given all the information available. And no, I don't smoke.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 11:48 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bil
This is the usual whine of the smoker. 'There's no proof' 'People die from lung cancer who have never smoked'

Stupid, stupid, stupid. If you really believe that then you and your children should be forced to smoke.

Would you be happy if your children smoked? After all there's no proof that it causes cancer, so why shouldn't your kids all light up?

As for worse habits, care to name some? I'm genuinely curious. Just what are these things that are so much worse than smoking?

As for freedom of choice, what about mine? What about the waiters in the bars? Aren't they entitled to feedom to be free of smoke in their work environment? Or is your view that democracy is only for you and yours? It's for everyone.
Drinking ... as the mother of a smoking alcoholic I would have much preferred her quitting the latter as it was FAR FAR more damaging to those around her.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:10 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JnK
Drinking ... as the mother of a smoking alcoholic I would have much preferred her quitting the latter as it was FAR FAR more damaging to those around her.
We've heard it all too many times before, using alcohol to try and deflect from the real issue and topic.
In any case not all drinkers are alcoholics and not all alcoholics cause problems for others.
Smoking is a nuisance and health risk in any public place.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:20 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
We've heard it all too many times before, using alcohol to try and deflect from the real issue and topic.
In any case not all drinkers are alcoholics and not all alcoholics cause problems for others.
Smoking is a nuisance and health risk in any public place.
Trust me... I'm not deflecting from the real issue or topic. But I do firmly believe that adults, after being given all the facts, should be allowed to do whatever they choose to as long as it's not illegal and the last time I looked, smoking wasn't. I have no idea why the subject brings out such "venom" in people. Oh yes, most alcoholics do indeed cause problems for others ... it just doesn't make your clothes smell to stand next to them so it's easier to ignore
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Yes, so is Christmas.

Problem is that many of those preparing the legislation in Spain are smokers themselves,so aren't very enthusiastic about either passing or enforcing it, as in Valencia when the first legislation was supposed to come into force.

I will only believe it when it actually happens and is properly enforced.
Higher degree of civilization.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JnK
I think she's defending the right to freedom of choice and speech, just like you are exercising yours now.
But then where is the freedom of the non-smoking client to breath less poluted air in a public place. I saw a waitress that never smoked and died of lung cancer. Did she want to inhale the smoke while she was earning her living? I don't think so, but she did not have a choice.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JnK
I think what she's saying is that it's not illegal, neither is drinking, and as adults surely we should all be able to decide what to do with our bodies given all the information available. And no, I don't smoke.
I think the point is not every adult is considerate for those around.
I would be curios smoke advocates would smoke in a same room with their infant children? Many do, is this being responsible?
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:29 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by labus
But then where is the freedom of the non-smoking client to breath less poluted air in a public place. I saw a waitress that never smoked and died of lung cancer. Did she want to inhale the smoke while she was earning her living? I don't think so, but she did not have a choice.
I'm not for one minute advocating smoking in public places, it's just the "smoking is the root of all evil brigade" annoy me a bit...
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JnK
I'm not for one minute advocating smoking in public places, it's just the "smoking is the root of all evil brigade" annoy me a bit...
It's just a root like any other of something evil. Why would we even take side on that matter?
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:34 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by labus
It's just a root like any other of something evil. Why would we even take side on that matter?
Sorry, not sure I understand what you mean?
Old Oct 20th 2010, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JnK
Sorry, not sure I understand what you mean?
What I mean is we should stop considering:
- smoking a lesser bad root,
- the right of the bar owners or smokers to do what they want as they restrict the rights of others in the first place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.