British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Smoking ban AGAIN!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/smoking-ban-again-686569/)

jimenato Sep 22nd 2010 8:46 pm

Smoking ban AGAIN!!!

I've heard from two different and normally reliable sources that this will happen on Jan 1st next, it will be compulsory and it will work (big fines for bar owners that allow smoking etc.)

Anybody else heard anything?

Dick Dasterdly Sep 22nd 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Smoking ban AGAIN!!!

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 8868982)
I've heard from two different and normally reliable sources that this will happen on Jan 1st next, it will be compulsory and it will work (big fines for bar owners that allow smoking etc.)

Anybody else heard anything?

I was wondering what was happening myself, not having heard anything for a while.
Hope what you say is correct with massive fines and life sentences for repeat offenders,;), though I'd have no objection to them smoking themselves to death behind bars.:rofl:
Already looking forward to the New Year, but won't be counting my chickens just yet.
Seeing will be believing, especially in my neck of the woods.

labus Sep 22nd 2010 11:21 pm

better later than never. Total ban in public places.

lynnxa Sep 23rd 2010 6:25 am

Originally Posted by labus (Post 8869263)
better later than never. Total ban in public places.

is that your opinion, or do you have a link?

:fingerscrossed: that you have a link:)

cricketman Sep 23rd 2010 6:58 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 8869813)

The legislation was meant to get passed through this autumn. But due to the crisis it has been deemed not a priority and put back. I've not heard of a new date for it.

What they are proposing is basically the same as the UK, total ban in enclosed areas.

lynnxa Sep 23rd 2010 7:00 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8869883)
The legislation was meant to get passed through this autumn. But due to the crisis it has been deemed not a priority and put back. I've not heard of a new date for it.

What they are proposing is basically the same as the UK, total ban in enclosed areas.

I knew it had been put on the back burner

was just hoping that it have been brought back to the boil again:fingerscrossed:

HBG Sep 23rd 2010 10:29 am

I’ve heard that they are also considering a ban on fat people, people over a certain body mass. That should save even more lives.

Kissing and laughing are also being targeted, but they’re worried about the already falling birth rate.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 23rd 2010 10:53 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8869883)

Thought it was too much to hope for.
Looks like Spain will be about the last to get it's act together, as usual.
Ah well,manana,manana.

A bigger problem than passing the ban, will be enforcing it.
Apparently in France many ppl.are now openly flouting the law on public transport and in cafes etc.
Little seems to be done to enforce it and cafe owners are reluctant to do so because of the risk of upsetting ppl. and losing business.

frigilianafreddy Sep 23rd 2010 11:27 am

I’ve heard that they are also considering a ban on fat people, people over a certain body mass. That should save even more lives.

Kissing and laughing are also being targeted, but they’re worried about the already falling birth rate.
If fat people gave me MOOBs i'd ban 'em.

If kissers resulted in some slapper's tongue down my throat i'd ban 'em.

For gawd's sake, even if you don't buy the health argument why should i have some stranger breathe fag ash on me?

I don't mind people smoking - just give them their own bars and restaurants. I saw nothng wrong with Malaga having it's smoking room. That seems eminently fair to me.

But I have no wish to share my non smoking habit with smokers, and no wish for smokers to share their smoking habit with me.

cricketman Sep 23rd 2010 11:42 am

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy (Post 8870314)

But I have no wish to share my non smoking habit with smokers, and no wish for smokers to share their smoking habit with me.

I'd like a smoking ban in people's own homes too, especially if they live in flats.

Our neighbours smoke and it wafts in though the window into our flat and makes the communal areas smell awful. It's like they are invading our space. Everytime we get a waft of smoke now we shout out "!guarros, puercos, cómo pesten los feos!". It's our little bit of childish revenge

Oh and those neighbours are English so there's no chance of them understanding :)

agoreira Sep 23rd 2010 11:48 am

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy (Post 8870314)

If kissers resulted in some slapper's tongue down my throat i'd ban 'em.

For gawd's sake, even if you don't buy the health argument why should i have some stranger breathe fag ash on me?

I don't mind people smoking - just give them their own bars and restaurants. I saw nothng wrong with Malaga having it's smoking room. That seems eminently fair to me.

Agree, fat people don't bother me like smelly smokers, nor are they likely to damage my health, but we are well used to these silly arguments to defend smoking. Surprised we haven't had the usual line trotted out about poluting cars, aircraft etc, none of which has anything to do with a smoking ban. Drug addicts rarely put up coherent arguments though.:D

Dick Dasterdly Sep 23rd 2010 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 8870347)
Agree, fat people don't bother me like smelly smokers, nor are they likely to damage my health, but we are well used to these silly arguments to defend smoking. Surprised we haven't had the usual line trotted out about poluting cars, aircraft etc, none of which has anything to do with a smoking ban. Drug addicts rarely put up coherent arguments though.:D

Like it,will have to remember that one.:rofl:

jimenato Sep 23rd 2010 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 8870254)
A bigger problem than passing the ban, will be enforcing it.
Apparently in France many ppl.are now openly flouting the law on public transport and in cafes etc.
Little seems to be done to enforce it and cafe owners are reluctant to do so because of the risk of upsetting ppl. and losing business.

This would be a big problem for me. I run the only non-Spanish run bar for many miles around. If the ban is rigorously enforced everywhere, I will have the same problem as every other bar, people might stay home. If, however, it is not properly enforced and bars are allowed to flout it I will have a much bigger problem. As the only non-Spanish bar owner around I will be taking a much bigger risk than my Spanish counterparts if I allow smoking.

labus Sep 23rd 2010 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 8869813)

That is my opinion, a healthy and considerate one. I was a smoker too.
Nobody should be forced to inhale smoke for the pleasure of others.

HBG Sep 23rd 2010 12:56 pm

A smoking ban in a country with largely an outdoor way of life won’t make much difference.

Personally, I won’t eat in a restaurant that allows smoking.

But I will go inside a Spanish bar if the terrace is full or if it’s raining, and I love to see free people smoke if they want to and bring their dogs along too, there was even a greyhound in the one I was in yesterday.

I prefer the company of happy smokers, if we’re outside, to those miserable people, especially recently reformed smokers, who bang on about it incessantly.

And if you worry about someone’s smoky breath, there’s half the world that you can’t visit, not because of the smoking, but because breath is more adversely affected by what people eat.