Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Smoke detector / alarm

Smoke detector / alarm

Old Dec 11th 2019, 7:07 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smoke detector / alarm

Hi

There is a recent law in Belgium requiring that ALL home owners must install these devices on each floor. I bought ours last week.

Asking around it appears that other EU countries, may have had this law for some time now.

I know that there are extra regulations if you rent out your home, but are we also required by law to install these in Spain, please? (Even if we dont rent out)

Im sure that any legal obligation to have these would also be a requirement of the insurance co as well. I may buy them anyway, as I am sure that all EU countries would (eventually) follow suit.... And of course its a valid safety gadget.

Thanks in advance

Jon
Old Dec 11th 2019, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Smoke detector / alarm

Hi Jon. Don't know about the legal requirements re smoke alarms in Spain, but we had them installed when we got the keys to our apartment in 2006. We didn't think about whether it was something you were required to do by law, but rather over concern for our own safety. Merry Xmas to you & Catherine xx
P.S we have had them everywhere we have lived & also Carbon Monoxide detectors.

Last edited by MikeCol; Dec 11th 2019 at 8:34 am.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 9:31 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Hi Jon. Don't know about the legal requirements re smoke alarms in Spain, but we had them installed when we got the keys to our apartment in 2006. We didn't think about whether it was something you were required to do by law, but rather over concern for our own safety. Merry Xmas to you & Catherine xx
P.S we have had them everywhere we have lived & also Carbon Monoxide detectors.
HI Mike/Bryony Yes safety first is always the best policy. I'll probably get them, they aren't expensive either.

I think it would be useful to know the legal position as I bet there are many places (like ours) without them and so we are pre-warned. In Belgium and other EU countries they have to conform to a EU minimum rating EN14604.And of course the insurance companies will have a 'get out clause' too....

Heres what I wrote to my broker this morning (below.. ) We spend several months a year in CE as you know, but there is a potential problem when we are away.

Have a wonderful Christmas, as well and a healthy and happy new year.... 2020 a big one - as tomorrow will tell. I'll be up in the wee hours playing with my swing-o-meter

Jon

My problem is that we are often abroad - as you know, I fear the alarm going off and angering all the neighbours as there is no way to enter the apartment to switch it off easily.
Can I remove the battery when away and replace it when I return?. After all its for our safety and there is no safer place in case of a fire than in totally another country !

Old Dec 11th 2019, 3:52 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Smoke alarms are not compulsory in Spain even if you rent out your home; in truth think about the way houses are built here as opposed to the way they are built in the UK. Here is mostly brick and concrete; in the UK there is a mass of wood used in construction.

As I use a portable gas fire I have a Carbon Monoxide detector and I gave one to a friend who looked after my dogs while I was away. Once more in truth, that is more important in Spain where most people use gas bottles to heat their water from a water heater in the kitchen. I've lost count of the sparrrows that have died making a nest in my flue; they seem able to peck the wire until it breaks!

Davexf
Old Dec 11th 2019, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Jon, yes very excited, can't wait until Friday � ����

Re the smoke alarm, yes you could just remove the batteries while you are away. Some friends of our hold a spare key for our place so they can get in if need be.

Best wishes xx
Old Dec 12th 2019, 8:16 am
BE Positive

Thanks everybody for the feedback.
  • In summary a smoke detector is a good idea as is a CO detector.
  • It is NOT however a legal requirement yet in Spain. IMO this will happen in the future as all the EU countries come into line.
  • In the event that it does go into law, then I will look at the legal and contractual consequences (insurance co) of taking out the batteries when away. In our case our keyholder is in another Manzana, and the time taken for a neighbour to contact Gesprosur, who then contact me, and I contact the keyholder etc could be a few days of hell for the various neighbours, sound resonates everywhere in ME!

Thanks

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Dec 12th 2019 at 8:19 am.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 4:16 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Smoke alarms are not compulsory in Spain even if you rent out your home; in truth think about the way houses are built here as opposed to the way they are built in the UK. Here is mostly brick and concrete; in the UK there is a mass of wood used in construction.
As you say, wood in construction is rare in Spain. In fact most home insurance policies ask whether there is any wood in the construction before they will insure you.

It is also probably why there are so few fire stations and even if there is one, the number of appliances available is nothing compared to the UK.

Old Dec 12th 2019, 4:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

As you say, wood in construction is rare in Spain. In fact most home insurance policies ask whether there is any wood in the construction before they will insure you.

It is also probably why there are so few fire stations and even if there is one, the number of appliances available is nothing compared to the UK.

I wish homes in North America were constructed with more robust materials. They are timber framed and most are clad in timber. Not to mention the garden shed type roof tiles (called shingles) that cover the roof. A new house near where we lived, was reduced to a pile of ashes within minutes. A spark came out of the chimney and landed in the roof...POOF.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 4:51 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

An update; I chatted to the friend I gave a carbon monoxide alarm to today and he said his wife had phoned him this morning to say the alarm was going off and there was a terrible smell !!! He dismantled the flue and found a bird's nest blocking it !!!

Their daughter was showering as in a more than fifteen minute affair - Carbon monoxide is a deadly killer - so may I suggest that anyone contemplating a smoke alarm in Spain buys a carbon monoxide detector as well - and don't be put off by the fact they are much more expensive

Davexf
Old Dec 13th 2019, 1:26 pm
Montesol, Ayamonte

maccro is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought this carbon monoxide detector out two years ago and seems to work fine for £15. (current price £15-slightly cheaper when I bought it)

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7001617