Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help - residing in Spain while working for UK company

Help - residing in Spain while working for UK company

Old Dec 13th 2019, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Gitanos66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - residing in Spain while working for UK company

Hi everyone, looking for some advice and input regarding our situation and desire to move to Spain....

OH and I are married UK citizens living and working in the UK but have planned to retire early to Extremadura. We originally were planning this for 7-8 years time but for varying reasons we wish to escalate this. At this stage we are taking regular Spanish lessons but have not found a house or the town we wish to live in as yet. There is the possibility to rent initially.

I'm fortunate that I have a european wide role in my company (global IT firm) and in principle (though i will be getting this checked) there is no issue where I live so long as I can do my job and be in certain locations on the dates requested. My boss recently relocated from the EU to UK, we have other employees moving from EU to other countries, all still doing the same role. We are therefore thinking that we could move to Extremadura, I can continue to work for my company from Spain, which provides us with sufficient income to be accepted and to cover health insurance, etc. My OH would retire, and start the work early on our home. We plan to purchase a finca with land and groves, raise animals and grow produce. We already do this on a small scale in the UK.

I appreciate that until BREXIT is done (if it ever is) that some of my questions may not have concrete answers, but....

1) What permit would I be applying for in this scenario? I am guessing non-lucrative/retirement visa - even though I am technicallly working, but not for a Spanish company?
2) Taxes? This may not be clear until I speak to HR at my company. My company does not have a Spanish office, currently I am registered as 'WFH-UK-Remote'. I assume I'd change to 'WFH-ES-Remote' - we do have employees living in Spain. I'm unclear if I pay UK tax, Spanish tax or both if my employer isnt Spanish? And assuming that has a bearing on my permit?

Has anyone been in this situation of moving to Spain while working for a global? Am I thinking too simplistically? Or do i stay as 'WFH-UK-Remote' and move to Spain as non-lucrative/retirement visa and continue to pay UK taxes?

Appreciate any feedback or thoughts!

Old Dec 13th 2019, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - residing in Spain while working for UK company

Originally Posted by Gitanos66
Hi everyone, looking for some advice and input regarding our situation and desire to move to Spain....

OH and I are married UK citizens living and working in the UK but have planned to retire early to Extremadura. We originally were planning this for 7-8 years time but for varying reasons we wish to escalate this. At this stage we are taking regular Spanish lessons but have not found a house or the town we wish to live in as yet. There is the possibility to rent initially.

I'm fortunate that I have a european wide role in my company (global IT firm) and in principle (though i will be getting this checked) there is no issue where I live so long as I can do my job and be in certain locations on the dates requested. My boss recently relocated from the EU to UK, we have other employees moving from EU to other countries, all still doing the same role. We are therefore thinking that we could move to Extremadura, I can continue to work for my company from Spain, which provides us with sufficient income to be accepted and to cover health insurance, etc. My OH would retire, and start the work early on our home. We plan to purchase a finca with land and groves, raise animals and grow produce. We already do this on a small scale in the UK.

I appreciate that until BREXIT is done (if it ever is) that some of my questions may not have concrete answers, but....

1) What permit would I be applying for in this scenario? I am guessing non-lucrative/retirement visa - even though I am technicallly working, but not for a Spanish company?
2) Taxes? This may not be clear until I speak to HR at my company. My company does not have a Spanish office, currently I am registered as 'WFH-UK-Remote'. I assume I'd change to 'WFH-ES-Remote' - we do have employees living in Spain. I'm unclear if I pay UK tax, Spanish tax or both if my employer isnt Spanish? And assuming that has a bearing on my permit?

Has anyone been in this situation of moving to Spain while working for a global? Am I thinking too simplistically? Or do i stay as 'WFH-UK-Remote' and move to Spain as non-lucrative/retirement visa and continue to pay UK taxes?

Appreciate any feedback or thoughts!
You can check other threads. For example here: Spanish or UK Tax
Regarding everything else, I'm sure you've done your research but as always buyer be aware.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 1:22 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest take one step at a time:
1. What is your new timescale?
2. Speak to HR and confirm they will approve your relocation.
3. Speak with those other employees who currently live in Spain.

If you become resident in Spain you will most likely become tax resident in Spain. This means you will be liable to Spanish income tax, irrespective of where you work.

There is currently agreement between UK / Spain about double taxation and I would guess these will remain post brexit.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Obvious question but have you talked to the employees in Spain ?

Being tax resident in a country is not just about time of residence and effectively by moving to Extramadura you could become Spanish Tax Resident as you state that your wife and new home will be there so effectively the taxman can claim your "Centre of Vital Interest " is there.

Worthwhile getting some professional advice