Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Smart Currency Exchange ?

Smart Currency Exchange ?

Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:44 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smart Currency Exchange ?

Hello All

Anybody used these ? Better rate today than the ones we usually use (Hifx and Torfx). Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks Mel
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

jacqandy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Smart Currency Exchange ?

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
Hello All

Anybody used these ? Better rate today than the ones we usually use (Hifx and Torfx). Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks Mel
Try caxtonsfx in london
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:31 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacqandy
Try caxtonsfx in london
Hi Jacqandy

Appreciate the response, did try caxtons but Smart still that teenie weenie bit better rate than everyone else and over a few thou is certainly makes a difference. I was grumbling at the rate FEB 07 when i bought at €1.4719 to £....Oh for a crystal ball !

Just concerned that no one else seems to know of them or dealt with them. Still I have gone ahead now so my follow on post will be a recommendation or a scream for help mixed with curses. Hope it's the former.

Thanks again

Mel
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Mel I've not heard of them at all
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:40 pm
MEL & JOHN

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Sorry Mel I've not heard of them at all
Thanks for getting back Mitzyboy.

Just for info for anybody who may not know this.....bet lots of you do.

The company has to be registered with C & E and you ask them (the company) for their MLR or Money Laundering Registration ( also referred to as NSB ) and that number with their Post Code allows the C & E to check if they are registered with them and therefore valid to trade.

Phew, feel better for knowing that !!

Mel
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:14 pm
Banned

septimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant future

Hello All

Thanks Mel

I have used HIFX for years never no problems. Allways turned round in 48 Hrs

Good rates as well,

Last edited by jdr; Mar 11th 2008 at 5:23 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 7:21 am
Banned

septimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by septimus
I have used HIFX for years never no problems. Allways turned round in 48 Hrs

Good rates as well,
Jdr . please tell me why the edit?
Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by septimus
Jdr . please tell me why the edit?
Because you cut one of the qoute tags off and it ended up not going in the Quote text box like it should, so I put one on and made it look pretty. ;-)
Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
Because you cut one of the qoute tags off and it ended up not going in the Quote text box like it should, so I put one on and made it look pretty. ;-)
thank you.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:29 am
MEL & JOHN

Hi Jacqandy

Appreciate the response, did try caxtons but Smart still that teenie weenie bit better rate than everyone else and over a few thou is certainly makes a difference. I was grumbling at the rate FEB 07 when i bought at €1.4719 to £....Oh for a crystal ball !

Just concerned that no one else seems to know of them or dealt with them. Still I have gone ahead now so my follow on post will be a recommendation or a scream for help mixed with curses. Hope it's the former.

Thanks again

Mel

An update on Smart Currency Exchange in view of my initial worries posted here. Excellent service, which I must say I have also in the past received from HIFX, but the Smart rate was better and therefore saved us a substantial sum of money. Well worth contacting if you have any Euros to buy/transfer.

I have been told that the intention is for €1 to equal £1........please tell me that is not true !

Regards to all

Mel
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:35 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

An update on Smart Currency Exchange in view of my initial worries posted here. Excellent service, which I must say I have also in the past received from HIFX, but the Smart rate was better and therefore saved us a substantial sum of money. Well worth contacting if you have any Euros to buy/transfer.

I have been told that the intention is for €1 to equal £1........please tell me that is not true !
Regards to all

Mel
I have also heard that
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Red Devil is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All

Thanks Mel

Mel

Let us know how the transfer goes as I need to send over some money soon. I have looked at their rate today and it is better than the two companies I normally use. Plus no service charge.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Location: Kidderminster UK and Hacienda Riquelme, Murcia, Spain
Rob Corbett is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all, As a 'virgin' to this site and ownership in Spain (I completed on a Murcia property in January) I found currency exchange possibly the most complex/confusing of all the aspects of buying a Spanish property. In the end I transferred a large sum via my local Barclays bank and although the transfer cost was minimal, the rate I received was a smidge under €1.30 to the £pound - that was first week of Jan.
Would appreciate knowing what these organisations are in this tread as I've never heard of them before
Regards Rob Corbett
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Corbett
Hello all, As a 'virgin' to this site and ownership in Spain (I completed on a Murcia property in January) I found currency exchange possibly the most complex/confusing of all the aspects of buying a Spanish property. In the end I transferred a large sum via my local Barclays bank and although the transfer cost was minimal, the rate I received was a smidge under €1.30 to the £pound - that was first week of Jan.
Would appreciate knowing what these organisations are in this tread as I've never heard of them before
Regards Rob Corbett
Hi Rob,

I am fairly new to this site as well but I am sure you will find it useful as it contains a wealth of information. Lots of people have already experienced life in Spain and it is great to read their stories and learn from their mistakes/successes

I only send a few thousand pounds during the year for property expenses and spending money. I have used World First for a couple of years and found them very good but they charge £15 a transfer. UK Forex charge less at £7 or nil for transfers over £3000. Smart have a better rate than both these and they have no charges. The best thing is to check the rates for a while before you need to transfer money to compare the different companies and recommendation is great, where someone has used a company and the service has been good.

Regards, Sharon
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

I have now registered with Smart currency exchange and they have just phoned me to discuss my requirements. Their website is slightly misleading. The rate published of 1.28 is only an inter bank rate and the rate you get is slightly lower at 1.27 but that is still better than the other rates I had. Also, even though the website seems to say their service is free they do make a charge of £5 unless you transfer over £3000.

So not quite as good as it suggests but still seems to be better than most.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.