Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

SMALL WHITE VAN WITH WINDOWS

SMALL WHITE VAN WITH WINDOWS

Old May 1st 2008, 9:02 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Talking SMALL WHITE VAN WITH WINDOWS

Why are they so popular I must have seen thousands along the roads various there must be some form of tax concession or something and it appears all vans come with a very small Spanish lady in glasses sat in the passenger seat
Old May 1st 2008, 1:56 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of
Default Re: SMALL WHITE VAN WITH WINDOWS

They are cheaper on the motorways, & the insurance
Old May 1st 2008, 2:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

My 4 x 4 is €100 a year road tax, the guy down the roads van with windows is €60 a year, not that its much but coupled with the lower insurance and the fact the back seats fold down and form a great vehicle for carrying stuff .... its a good vehicle
Old May 1st 2008, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
My 4 x 4 is €100 a year road tax, the guy down the roads van with windows is €60 a year, not that its much but coupled with the lower insurance and the fact the back seats fold down and form a great vehicle for carrying stuff .... its a good vehicle
Can you tell me what van he has? It sounds as it may suit my needs.
Old May 1st 2008, 4:11 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

My first vehicle here was a Citroen C15 van and I now drive an Opel Combo...yes, both white!
These "white vans" are great - firstly they are pretty inconspicuous, not likely to attract Guardia attention; they don't go overfast so you're not likely to pick up speeding tickets (!); they are cheap to run/service etc, always loads of spares available from scrappies; you can get a pallet of bricks etc forklifted into the back no problem; you can even sleep in them with the seats down, just long enough to (almost) stretch out in!
Downsides....insurance can be pricier than a car and the likes of Linea Directa etc don't insure vans...and they need ITV'ing every 6 months once they're 10yrs old.
Old May 1st 2008, 4:14 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justlookin
Can you tell me what van he has? It sounds as it may suit my needs.
I'll have a look later, all I know at the moment is its a Ford but I have seen similar vans badged with Citroen & I think Renault.
Old May 1st 2008, 4:31 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

We had a renault Kangoo, the Citreon berlingo & ford torneo are about the same size.
Old May 1st 2008, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: SMALL WHITE VAN WITH WINDOWS

Originally Posted by Grebo
We had a renault Kangoo, the Citreon berlingo & ford torneo are about the same size.
I think you will find the Fiat Doblo takes the prize "ugliest car in the world" but never mind that it is a van derived car ie has windows in the back but it is designed to take a 1 cu m pallet into the back with the seats folded. It can be bought with the 1.3 multijet diesel perhaps the best small diesel at the moment and you can get a third row of seats so that it will seat 7 which I have not seen in the Kangoo or Berlingo but I think is available in the Ford and VW equivalents.
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:53 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I think you will find the Fiat Doblo takes the prize "ugliest car in the world" but never mind that it is a van derived car ie has windows in the back but it is designed to take a 1 cu m pallet into the back with the seats folded. It can be bought with the 1.3 multijet diesel perhaps the best small diesel at the moment and you can get a third row of seats so that it will seat 7 which I have not seen in the Kangoo or Berlingo but I think is available in the Ford and VW equivalents.
Same 1.3 engine shared with Opel in the Corsa and Astra.
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:55 am
Account Closed

And as for "white" it is usually the standard colour option at no extra cost along with one or two other solid colours such as red and/or blue. One reason why most taxis are white too (except in Barcelona).
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:47 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by El Capitan
And as for "white" it is usually the standard colour option at no extra cost along with one or two other solid colours such as red and/or blue. One reason why most taxis are white too (except in Barcelona).
We have a renualt Kangoo road tax 69 and it is fantastic on fuel.

Ours is silver LOL
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Those little white vans with windows... are those the ones that pull out from a side road in front of you when you are about ten metres away then drive along at about 20kph?
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

shadydaze is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a silver Kangoo too. Totally inconspicuous, efficient (even though its French) on fuel, maintenance and tons of space, please note, does not like big hills !
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:50 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber;
Those little white vans with windows... are those the ones that pull out from a side road in front of you when you are about ten metres away then drive along at about 20kph?

No, those are those awful AIXAM microcar things, where the driver is always totally oblivious to the queue of traffic behind....
Old May 5th 2008, 11:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shadydaze
I've got a silver Kangoo too. Totally inconspicuous, efficient (even though its French) on fuel, maintenance and tons of space, please note, does not like big hills !
Not sure which Renault models are built in Spain but many Spaniards consider Renault to be Spanish because at least some of them are built here. Also I reckon why the Guardia drive lots of Renaults.