Skype Security

Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:30 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all
Default Skype Security

Just a warning for all of you who use Skype, I have had my account hijacked, I had a very strong password but somehow someone has got into my account. It is now under investigation but I have been told that all money in my account will be lost. Skype do not refund it. I do have a Europe subscription and it is possibly they may be able to recover this.

I discovered it has been hijacked when I tried to log in and it said that my email address was not valid.

My advice is to keep as little money in the account as possible and fund it only when necessary.
If I find out anymore I will let you know.
Yvonne
Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:57 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skype Security

Originally Posted by YMF
Just a warning for all of you who use Skype, I have had my account hijacked, I had a very strong password but somehow someone has got into my account. It is now under investigation but I have been told that all money in my account will be lost. Skype do not refund it. I do have a Europe subscription and it is possibly they may be able to recover this.

I discovered it has been hijacked when I tried to log in and it said that my email address was not valid.

My advice is to keep as little money in the account as possible and fund it only when necessary.
If I find out anymore I will let you know.
Yvonne
This happened to someone a little while ago on Voipcheap and they are a nightmare to even contact.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:05 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Do yoiu not have a record of the calls made?
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:55 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Do yoiu not have a record of the calls made?
She can`t get on it to check as the password has changed, but Skype must have them.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:07 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

I cannot get into my account at all, my username, email address and password has been changed. You would think that Skype should be able trace all activity on the account and from that be able to trace those responsible but from what I have read that does not happen. The problem I had was that I could not even contact Skype support as you have to be able to log into do that. I had to create another account to report the problem.

I have scanned my laptop for viruses etc but found nothing. To be on the safe side I have changed all my passwords and cancelled credit cards associated with my skype/paypal accounts. I have also been told by Skype that it could be three to four weeks before I get my account back!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't the whole idea of using skype mean that you need to have unsecured open ports on your pc??

Always thought it a bit "dodgy" myself.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

akemp847 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear, if your password is strong then I am guessing you have a keylogger on your system. I would suggest doing a virus scan immediately.

Might be useful if you have a different computer to change all other passwords or you might find those get stolen too...

(a keylogger is basically a program that records keystrokes, if you are unsure)
Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:52 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by akemp847
Sorry to hear, if your password is strong then I am guessing you have a keylogger on your system. I would suggest doing a virus scan immediately.

Might be useful if you have a different computer to change all other passwords or you might find those get stolen too...

(a keylogger is basically a program that records keystrokes, if you are unsure)
I have run a full system scan using AVAST and found nothing. All my PC security is up to date. I was on holiday when my account was hacked, my PC was turned off and the router unplugged.
Good idea though to use another PC to change passwords.
My husband works in IT and he has checked my computer thoroughly and found nothing.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

jordana 4 paz is an unknown quantity at this point

I am new to this forum, so hello to everyone, especially those in Spain.

I have been following a thread on Skype forum, re all the members who are
receiving Spam and other security issues.

I came across these 2 links from "The Gladiator" and thought they just might help.

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=289161

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?act...ce&f=24&id=221

There seems to be a consensus that the security breaches have only been happening since the last updates to version 4. Some advice seems to be, to go back to 3.8 version until Skype have sorted it!

Hope this is of some help

J 4 P
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:34 am
Just Joined

bloh is an unknown quantity at this point

really....may be will try record Your Conversations?
I use SkypeCap...