Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Old Dec 16th 2012, 9:32 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

my understanding is that they can get FTA signals at the moment, but is looking into other possibilities (eg tv via internet) should that FTA sat signal go...
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

jackteet is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry chaps another one of my senior moments. I should have inserted the word "scenario" prior to my reference to there being no tv signal.Even if a larger dish will recover lost channels it is unlikely that our community will allow one to be fitted. I must therefore look at obtain iptv. Profuse apologies.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackteet
Sorry chaps another one of my senior moments. I should have inserted the word "scenario" prior to my reference to there being no tv signal.Even if a larger dish will recover lost channels it is unlikely that our community will allow one to be fitted. I must therefore look at obtain iptv. Profuse apologies.
No need to apologise!
I read a letter recently in one of the 'freebie' papers from someone wanting larger dish for their community, but saying it probably wouldn't be allowed. The answer was ,if I recall, enough members of the community want it then it can go ahead.
I don't live on community so really don't know the 'law' on these things!
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Hi Biffta, The general concensus of opinion in our community is that iptv is
the way forward for the future so this is the system I am trying to get my old head round.jack
Old Dec 16th 2012, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Biffta, The general concensus of opinion in our community is that iptv is
the way forward for the future so this is the system I am trying to get my old head round.jack
Hi Jack, I agree IPTV is the way forward, but as I'm used to having access to some HD TV channels as well as many others in SD, I'd need a much faster and more expensive broadband speed. I know very little about the technology of IPTV reception, but as I'm so used to having had PVR satellite boxes, the ease with which I can record different channels, pause & store programmes would make me reluctant to move to IPTV from my current setup.
Of course if I lost satellite reception then I'd be in your position and exploring alternatives.
Good luck and I'd be interested to know how you progress.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Hi Jack, I agree IPTV is the way forward, but as I'm used to having access to some HD TV channels as well as many others in SD, I'd need a much faster and more expensive broadband speed. I know very little about the technology of IPTV reception, but as I'm so used to having had PVR satellite boxes, the ease with which I can record different channels, pause & store programmes would make me reluctant to move to IPTV from my current setup.
Of course if I lost satellite reception then I'd be in your position and exploring alternatives.
I agree with you. Can´t bear to be without my Sky Plus.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

At least with the catch-up services on Sky+HD they use progressive download rather than streaming, so broadcast quality HD is available to the slowest speeds of ADSL.

Multiply your speed x 3600 and you'll get your hourly download size. An hour of HD from iPlayer, Sky and Demand 5 is around 2.5gb. So if your speed is 2.5mb, you'll be able to download around 900mb in an hour, so an hour of HD catch-up will take just under three hours.

Worth the wait, for the quality, which is better than the web based versions.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by derek500
At least with the catch-up services on Sky+HD they use progressive download rather than streaming, so broadcast quality HD is available to the slowest speeds of ADSL.

Multiply your speed x 3600 and you'll get your hourly download size. An hour of HD from iPlayer, Sky and Demand 5 is around 2.5gb. So if your speed is 2.5mb, you'll be able to download around 900mb in an hour, so an hour of HD catch-up will take just under three hours.

Worth the wait, for the quality, which is better than the web based versions.
Hi Derek, whilst back in the UK recently my son gave me a demo of the new Sky services. He's with them for his broadband also and enjoys speeds I can only dream of at present. Back to the point, he downloaded a film to show me how it works and it took nearly an hour which he was unhappy about. I hate to think how long it would have taken me here in Spain with the speed I have!
Old Dec 16th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Derek, whilst back in the UK recently my son gave me a demo of the new Sky services. He's with them for his broadband also and enjoys speeds I can only dream of at present. Back to the point, he downloaded a film to show me how it works and it took nearly an hour which he was unhappy about. I hate to think how long it would have taken me here in Spain with the speed I have!
Do a speedtest at speedtest.net and use the formula I've posted above.

I've got 2.6mb and tend to stack programmes up overnight.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All, I have heard this afternoon that the new satelite has been switched on but it is not working properly. I must emphasise that this is gossip but if true it does appeal to my sense of humour.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 4:42 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All, I have heard this afternoon that the new satelite has been switched on but it is not working properly. I must emphasise that this is gossip but if true it does appeal to my sense of humour.
The new satellites, 2f, was switched on a few days after it launched.....ok it was in another location in the skies, and used for testing.

But UK TV channels have been transmitting fromt he satellite since the 4th December - some ITV1 and ITV1+1 regions, C4HD, 4seven, and "channels Fives".

The satellite is working as it should be.
If it was not working then it would not have been handed over for operational use.

People thought that since all the BBC And ITV channels did not move immediately to 2F this was down to a problem with the satellite - but it is not - as from what I gather, BBC and ITVs were never intended for Astra 2F, but the next satellite, 2E. It has also been said that the move of channels from 1N (bbc itv c4s) to 2F, could not be done, as 2F is not actually prepared for those frequencies!!!

Last edited by The Guy; Dec 18th 2012 at 4:44 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Oh well that will teach me to listen to gossip [lol]
Old Dec 26th 2012, 7:54 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting map.

http://tinyurl.com/axdvvqe
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:11 am
Just Joined

albertito is an unknown quantity at this point

OK everyone, after several weeks testing this iptv system, to me it has certainly become clear that I'm not going to be looking for any kind of Sat installation and i wanted to share this with you. It all starts to make sense to me, the more I look into it.
I now understand the concept of what they call the CVR (cloud video recorder), which I get with the subscription, and now they have added another 6 channels, so this means that I now have 2 weeks worth of recorded content from 15 channels.
seriously, if i wanted to attempt this via a Sat setup, how on earth would i achieve it? my CVR is recording it all automatically and through the system, I can just click and watch what I want whenever i want. all in all, the catchup is honestly amazing and I even use it from the uk.

The impression I get at the moment is that it is time to start looking into solutions like this http://dtmedia.tv because it is clearly the future to me. it works perfectly already and now the whole Sat solution with all the rest of it feels like going back to old technology.

anyway, this is my opinion. I am really excited about what i am seeing, using and where I can see it all going. I would encourage all of you with an internet connection to give it a go, because it really works well and you dont need any dishes on the roof or occupying the terrace nor will you need any recorders.

I now have no satellite dish, no DVR but I do have 38 TV channels, 14 days Catchup for 15 channels wh¡ch all works perfectly though my internet connection. I am watching one channel on the TV and another on the ipad.
And i have just realized that I hardly use the internet for anything other than watching tv! its crazy but if you think about it....it all makes sense.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:05 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Nice ad (and quite well disguised)

How much does it cost per month?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.