Sky tv

Old May 26th 2014, 5:40 am
Just Joined

joemillonare will become famous soon enough
Default Sky tv

I live mostly in the UK, spending 3 or 4 months during the summer in Spain.
I am due to return to Spain in the next couple of weeks.
I realy did not know that you can no longer get sky tv there.
I am sure this subject has been discussed on this forum, but I can not find it.
Can someone please point me in the right direction.
How are expats now getting uk tv.
Old May 26th 2014, 5:46 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky tv

Originally Posted by joemillonare
I live mostly in the UK, spending 3 or 4 months during the summer in Spain.
I am due to return to Spain in the next couple of weeks.
I realy did not know that you can no longer get sky tv there.
I am sure this subject has been discussed on this forum, but I can not find it.
Can someone please point me in the right direction.
How are expats now getting uk tv.
Most of us in Spain can still get Sky TV.

However, it all depends where in Spain you mean - Southern Spain (Costa del Sol etc.) is particularly bad I'm told.

In areas where people can't get Sky TV, people are turning to the internet - if they can get that at adequate speeds.
Old May 26th 2014, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Thank you Snickpoh, We are in Granada, I am told we can not get it. I wounder is it possible to realine the dish or if the internet is the only way. What equipment would i need.
Old May 26th 2014, 5:54 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

If by "Sky TV" you mean the SKy pay channels, then these are still available over most of Spain using anything from a 1m dish.

If by "Sky TV" you mean the main UK TV channels, BBC ITV C4s and Fives, which are really nothing to do with Sky, then reception of these really does depend where you are in Spain.

Some areas can receive these channels using a "1m" dish, others need a slightly larger dish, but in some areas (Catalonia - andalucia) a much larger 1.8 or 2.4m dish is required. Areas like the CdS the dish size required is in excess of 2.4m and so alternative ways to receive these channels are required.

I wounder is it possible to realine the dish or if the internet is the only way. What equipment would i need.
If by realign the dish, you mean fine tune it to the current UK TV satellites, then maybe, but only if your dish is large enough in the first place.
IF you mean realign the dish to other satellites for UK TV, then no, as the UK TV channels are only on one group of satellites.

IF you want to receive via internet, you will need a reasonable internet connection, and either go for a subscription free option, like filmon or an xbmc android solution, or a monthly subscription solution like a mag250, or a connection to the Iplayers via a UK VPN

All covered in depth here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794446

Last edited by The Guy; May 26th 2014 at 5:59 am.
Old May 26th 2014, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait until you come over, plug your box in and see what happens! I presume on previous visits you either bring over a box or there is one in the premises. Did you get all the stations on previous visits with your box? What size dish do you currently have?
When you do arrive and if you cannot now receive the stations you once did, then make enquiries locally either with neighbours who have a larger dish perhaps and see what they're getting or local satellite installers and ask them what dish you need, Presumably they will have the necessary dish installed at their premises to demonstrate reception capabilities and you can then make your decision on your research. If they cannot display or guarantee any UK satellite reception then that will be your answer.

Last edited by Countryboy1; May 26th 2014 at 8:20 am.
Old May 26th 2014, 10:24 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Snickpoh, We are in Granada, I am told we can not get it. I wounder is it possible to realine the dish or if the internet is the only way. What equipment would i need.
I see a lot of dishes in Granada and surrounding towns and villages.
perhaps they are keeping the walls up
or just watching Spanish satellites.
Old May 26th 2014, 1:02 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

I still have my dish; I can get Sky news and various "minor deity" channels on it

Davexf
Old May 27th 2014, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to you all for the advice, My dish is 1400mm, & yes I do have a sky box I leave there in Spain. I have a sky card I pay for here in the UK. I tend to take the card with me in a few weeks time. I do watch some sky channels but it would be the bbc/itv channels. I would miss & also some of the radio channels.
Is it possible to move the dish to face the new sky satellite, even if I need a bigger dish.
Old May 27th 2014, 3:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to move the dish to face the new sky satellite, even if I need a bigger dish.
No, the new satellite is in exactly the same position as the old one. It is the footprint that has changed which makes it difficult or impossible to receive the BBC etc channels in southern Spain.

We are also in Granada province and it is likely that you will need a dish at least 3m in size, possibly more. Not a practical or affordable proposition.

Internet TV is really the only option apart from the BBC backup satellite Intelsat 907 which is easily receivable but you will need a new box for that and another dish (luckily only 80cm) if you wish to watch Sky as well.

The problem with that option is that the signals are encrypted, although many suppliers will provide boxes with the correct codes. However, these codes are subject to frequent changes which can result in a loss of picture until someone hacks the codes and makes them available on the Internet. There is also conjecture that they will change the encryption redering reception impossible. It's a short term solution, but only that.