Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky Telephone link

Sky Telephone link

Old Jul 20th 2009, 5:00 pm
The Hillbilly's

IanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to all
Default Sky Telephone link

I have seen 'Tele Addict' say he can use an english number for Sky, has any one any experience of using one of the Skyp or other numbers to link thier box to Sky ?.

Regards
Old Jul 20th 2009, 6:10 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky Telephone link

Originally Posted by IanandKathleen
I have seen 'Tele Addict' say he can use an english number for Sky, has any one any experience of using one of the Skyp or other numbers to link thier box to Sky ?.

Regards
it is not for linking your box to sky...it is for calling sky and talking to one of the operators....

the sky boxes call pre determined numbers and no way to change them...without hacking into the sky software!!..., and the old digidialers that you couuld use to dial the number from spain no longer work...
Old Jul 21st 2009, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Regards
There are plenty of people on this forum and others that use a company to get a British land line number service for calling Sky - me on the other hand do not.

Thought I'd chip in
DSB.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:23 am
The Hillbilly's

IanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to all

I know you can call Sky from these numbers but the Sky box will try and call Sky if you have a premium channel etc. Has anyone tried to let the box call via a skyp or international (english) line.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:38 am
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

I know you can call Sky from these numbers but the Sky box will try and call Sky if you have a premium channel etc. Has anyone tried to let the box call via a skyp or international (english) line.
Premium channels (or any other channels for that matter) don't need a telephone connection if the receiver is non-subscribed, or if the contract is more than 12 months old. Multi-room does require all receivers to be permanently connected to the same UK telephone line. If you did have a subscribed receiver that is less than 12 months old or a multi-room pack I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use a Vonage line or similar with UK number to comply with those requirements, or for PPV films or sports events.

Last edited by Tele Addict; Jul 21st 2009 at 9:42 am.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:46 am
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Guy
the sky boxes call pre determined numbers and no way to change them...without hacking into the sky software!!..., and the old digidialers that you couuld use to dial the number from spain no longer work...
What are you talking about? Just plug the phone line in the Sky box and the receiving end of the call sees your caller ID as a UK number. Just imagine it as a regular UK phone line with a 2000 kilometre cable connected. What's this got to do with hacking the Sky box software?

Last edited by Tele Addict; Jul 21st 2009 at 9:48 am.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Reading this thread with interest.

I have had my sky subscription for inexcess of 4yrs and no longer have it contected to my phone line, when I move out to spain in theory I should not be effected by this phone line thing. If I have my parents as my new address and transfer the account to that will that qualify as ok?
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:26 am
The Hillbilly's

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
Premium channels (or any other channels for that matter) don't need a telephone connection if the receiver is non-subscribed, or if the contract is more than 12 months old. Multi-room does require all receivers to be permanently connected to the same UK telephone line. If you did have a subscribed receiver that is less than 12 months old or a multi-room pack I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use a Vonage line or similar with UK number to comply with those requirements, or for PPV films or sports events.
Yes that is the theory, but has anyone tried it, if we are wrong Sky will turn of your card and that would be a nightmare.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:30 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

What are you talking about? Just plug the phone line in the Sky box and the receiving end of the call sees your caller ID as a UK number. Just imagine it as a regular UK phone line with a 2000 kilometre cable connected. What's this got to do with hacking the Sky box software?
What are you talking about...?

a sky box in spain will not be able to call sky in the uk using a spanish phone line....as the sky boxes use UK phone numbers that are written into their software...so there is no way to get the box to call 0044 drop the zero without changing the software in the box...or by using one of the digidialers (when they worked a few years ago!)

try it: plug a sky box into the spanish phone system and try and get it to do a callback to the sky system...you will not get past the spanish "we are unable to dial this number" message! unless you know of a way to get around the sky box not dialing the 0044 prefix...

but has anyone tried it, if we are wrong Sky will turn of your card and that would be a nightmare.
all the time..
addict said it all :Multi-room contracts does require all receivers to be permanently connected to the same UK telephone line. A subsidised receiver in the 12 months sky contract requires connection to a uk phone line. Ordering of PPV requires connectin to a uk phone line...voting on celeb junle requires connection to a uk phone line.

you do not need a uk phone line connected if you want to watch skyts premium channels - sports and movies...especially if your box is over 12 months old and you are not part of a multiroom contract

Last edited by The Guy; Jul 21st 2009 at 10:49 am.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:36 am
Banned

Yes that is the theory, but has anyone tried it, if we are wrong Sky will turn of your card and that would be a nightmare.
I've used mine for PPV a few times but I'm not using a Sky box any more. Anyway, turn off your card for what? You're the proprietor of the phone number and the number is registered at the same UK address as the card so what is the problem?
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

I've used mine for PPV a few times but I'm not using a Sky box any more. Anyway, turn off your card for what? You're the proprietor of the phone number and the number is registered at the same UK address as the card so what is the problem?
FTA Channels seems a lot less hassle - Can't be doing with all this crap.. :P
Down to the pub for the big matches me thinks - kwl.

DSB.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:44 am
The Hillbilly's

Originally Posted by jay01
Reading this thread with interest.

I have had my sky subscription for inexcess of 4yrs and no longer have it contected to my phone line, when I move out to spain in theory I should not be effected by this phone line thing. If I have my parents as my new address and transfer the account to that will that qualify as ok?
I have had mine the same (at mums) for years, remember Sky is sending out new cards so you MUST have an English address where the card is to be sent. There will be a huge problem for all the expats that bought fictitious address's in Spain, if you do not have a real address, no card and Sky will eventually turn off your old one.

Regards.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:46 am
The Hillbilly's

They turn off the card if you dont live in England or didnt you know that.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:47 am
Banned

Originally Posted by The Guy
a sky box in spain will not be able to call sky in the uk using a spanish phone line....as the sky boxes use UK phone numbers that are written into their software...so there is no way to get the box to call 0044 drop the zero without changing the software in the box...or by using one of the digidialers (when they worked a few years ago!)
Ok, here's the misunderstanding the OP and I are talking about a Vonage phone or similar VoIP technology. Imagine it is a UK phone line with a very long cable. When I want to dial my friends in the UK from my Vonage phone I just dial their national number, no country code. When I dial Spain from the same phone I need to use the country code.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:49 am
Banned

They turn off the card if you dont live in England or didnt you know that.
No, they turn off the card if they believe it is being used outside the UK. In this case there is nothing to alert them to this.

Last edited by Tele Addict; Jul 21st 2009 at 10:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.