Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky Telephone link

Sky Telephone link

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:22 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky Telephone link

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Is a phone call to Sky essential to activate the replacement card,when it arrives,or can it be activated just by following on screen instructions?
just follow the instructions on screen and on the accompanying letter.

you must ensure that:
a) your digibox has the lastest software - that has the change over process :
service, 4, 5 - software version for basic sky receivers should be 3.7.X
in most cases most digiboxes self update... sometimes you may have to perform a manual update...(which may not always work!)
b) your old card should be in the box and working correctly for a period (they say 24 hours) before attempting the change over
c) your old blue card is correctly paired to the sky box you are using - check by going to 401 - if you see sky sports, or the "Upgrade to sky" message then your card is paired...if you see the "this is the wrong card for this set top[ box" then your card is not paired tot he box and your new replacement card will not activate in that box....they will only activate in the correct box...

this last point is the only reason why some of my clients have not been able to activate the new cards...

Last edited by The Guy; Jul 22nd 2009 at 7:24 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
It shouldn't be unless some kind of error occurs.
I did some searching on the digitalspy forum and come up with the quotes below that have got some where - me just trying to help is all..
--
Recently I reconnected my SKY box to my Grandstream ATA286 which is connected to Sipgate and did a "New Installation" and it immediately successfully "phoned home".

I have not changed anything, so I guess it may be an improvement in Sipgates network.

My next problem is how to register for multiroom! Sky have a totally fake address for me (desparate measure to get a receivable ITV on my EPG for SKY+), so I cannot physically receive a new viewing card.

Does anyone know if you go through a Sky registered installer if they provide the card directly, or do Sky post it out?

[Just to reiterate: I am not trying to rip SKY off. I just want the multi-room deal in one house but outside the UK]
-- AND
Just had Sky+ installed and call back wouldn't work through my Vonage system so had to connect Sky to normal BT line. According to Vonage site they need Sky to reduce modem speed and allow *99 prefix to be dialled, they say they have asked Sky to do this but have had no commitment from Sky to do the work.
--AND
works with a grandstream 486 and voiptalk (2.99 a month). . .
//END//

DSB.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:19 am
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
Recently I reconnected my SKY box to my Grandstream ATA286 which is connected to Sipgate and did a "New Installation" and it immediately successfully "phoned home".

I have not changed anything, so I guess it may be an improvement in Sipgates network.
Well VoIP worked for someone else too then.

Anyway, I was using a Pace 2600 C1. I wonder if the modem speed of this box is the same as later models.

Edit: the *99 prefix is to tell the Vonage server to lower the compression settings for a data call.

Also found this in another place: I see that I have been charged for Box Office in May and October 2005 ie when I only had the Vonage telephone line connected.

In other words, my sky digiboxes did successfully connect to Sky through Vonage.

Last edited by Tele Addict; Jul 23rd 2009 at 8:13 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 10:01 am
The Hillbilly's

IanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to allIanandKathleen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Guy
just follow the instructions on screen and on the accompanying letter.

c) your old blue card is correctly paired to the sky box you are using - check by going to 401 - if you see sky sports, or the "Upgrade to sky" message then your card is paired...if you see the "this is the wrong card for this set top[ box" then your card is not paired tot he box and your new replacement card will not activate in that box....they will only activate in the correct box...

this last point is the only reason why some of my clients have not been able to activate the new cards...
Do you know if you have to have a line connected to activate the card ?
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I have a house in the UK which is rented out. When I go back in August I am going to phone Sky and say that I have bought a Sky plus box over the internet and want to join. I have a UK bank account. Obviously the sky plus box is in Spain and at the moment has an old card in it from the normal dubious source. Will I have any problems with the box being in Spain?