Sky question

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:52 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of
Default Sky question

In July I bought a Sky+box. When I phoned Sky to activate it they asked me where I got the box. I told them a friend of mine upgraded to HD and gave me his old box. I am now looking at a Sky+ hd box. What should I tell them if they ask again where I got it? Also, I have a basic sky package (no sports or movies) can I just transfer the card or do I need to marry it to the new box as I already have a Sky+ subscription? When I transferred the card before I still got all the channels and only had to call them to activate the sky+.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 5:25 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky question

Originally Posted by CBANDY
In July I bought a Sky+box. When I phoned Sky to activate it they asked me where I got the box. I told them a friend of mine upgraded to HD and gave me his old box. I am now looking at a Sky+ hd box. What should I tell them if they ask again where I got it? Also, I have a basic sky package (no sports or movies) can I just transfer the card or do I need to marry it to the new box as I already have a Sky+ subscription? When I transferred the card before I still got all the channels and only had to call them to activate the sky+.

Thanks in advance.
I thought you bought your new HD box from Ebay...or maybe from a freind that deceided to go to Freesat HD....

Yuu will need to marry the card to the box, via calling Sky, to activate all the record and playback functions. If you do not then it may only allow you to watch and record free to air channels, and not the pay channels...
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 5:29 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Guy
I thought you bought your new HD box from Ebay...or maybe from a freind that deceided to go to Freesat HD....

Yuu will need to marry the card to the box, via calling Sky, to activate all the record and playback functions. If you do not then it may only allow you to watch and record free to air channels, and not the pay channels...
Lol. Not me. My sky+ box came from a friend of mine who works for sky in manchester. Its an old one but works fine. Do you need an HD subscription for BBC HD etc...? Or just the Sky HD channels.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:20 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Lol. Not me. My sky+ box came from a friend of mine who works for sky in manchester.
I was kinda refering to how you got your new HD box should sky ask!!!

Anyways....

BBChD, BBC1HD, ITV1HD, C4HD and Five HD are all available with no monthly subscription.

Pay an extra £10 per month for access to Sky Pay HD channels.

Last edited by The Guy; Mar 3rd 2011 at 7:24 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Lol. Not me. My sky+ box came from a friend of mine who works for sky in manchester. Its an old one but works fine. Do you need an HD subscription for BBC HD etc...? Or just the Sky HD channels.
why not ask your friend that works for sky
Old Mar 4th 2011, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Some people don't recognise a hint do they!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Mama_Carol is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't think Sky had a licence for Spain.

I know lots of people receive Sky but I was told "never mention to Sky that you are based in Spain"
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:06 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mama_Carol

I know lots of people receive Sky but I was told "never mention to Sky that you are based in Spain"
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Mama_Carol
"Sky" is only a "portal" for channels, just the same way that "Freesat" is a portal. Many of the channels on the "Sky" system are in fact nothing to do with Sky. But many people use / confuse the term "Sky" to mean "satellite TV". For example BBC channels are nothing to do with Sky at all, heck you dont even need a Sky box or sky card for them.

Many of the channels on satellite, including Sky pay channels, only pay programme makers and rights owners of UK rights only.
You will find that most of those rights are bought by Spanish broadcasters for broadcasting in Spain.
I am sure if the wanted to UK channels could buy the rights for Spain as well, if it was profitable.....

But true, if you contact Sky never say the card is in Spain, as if they know you are breaking the T&Cs of your Sky contract they can cancel the card.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Neil29649 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Guy
"Sky" is only a "portal" for channels, just the same way that "Freesat" is a portal. Many of the channels on the "Sky" system are in fact nothing to do with Sky. But many people use / confuse the term "Sky" to mean "satellite TV". For example BBC channels are nothing to do with Sky at all, heck you dont even need a Sky box or sky card for them.

Many of the channels on satellite, including Sky pay channels, only pay programme makers and rights owners of UK rights only.
You will find that most of those rights are bought by Spanish broadcasters for broadcasting in Spain.
I am sure if the wanted to UK channels could buy the rights for Spain as well, if it was profitable.....

But true, if you contact Sky never say the card is in Spain, as if they know you are breaking the T&Cs of your Sky contract they can cancel the card.
I thought that, but the other day they had the news item, on Sky News, about the 12 most wanted crims that they thought were on the Costa del Sol they had a UK number to ring if you recognised any of them and a Spanish number "for their Spanish viewers".
Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:13 pm

Sky News is free to air, and only carries Sky News, ie Sky News produced content and does not rely on other producers so the content on their channe is all theirs and they can pretty much do what they want with that channel, and has not other material (brief sports highlights for new channels are OK), so its not a problem.

The Sky News UK feed is also used for Sky News International channel, which is available on other satellites which cover other EU countries (and throughout the world) also.