sky plus box

Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

amarie is on a distinguished road
Default sky plus box

Hi
My dad lives in Spain and he has just bought himself a t.v, i was going to give him my Sky plus box and card next week when i go to visit him, will this work over there?
Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:22 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sky plus box

Originally Posted by amarie
Hi
My dad lives in Spain and he has just bought himself a t.v, i was going to give him my Sky plus box and card next week when i go to visit him, will this work over there?
Thanks
Yes - others will expand I'm sure.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:41 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

as long as
he has two cables from his dish to the plus box
he has the correct dish size for the channels he wants
he has a dish pointing at the correct satellites
the sky is not part of a skymultiroom package
he should have no problems.
mine has been here for a few years with no problems.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 1:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Had mine for three years here
Dont tell SKY though ... if they know you bought it out here they will cut you off
Old Mar 21st 2009, 2:04 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Had mine for three years here
and it is only just still working....

PS i am in oliva this coming tuesday and can pop up and see you re securing your dish sometime late afternoon if you want..
Old Mar 21st 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

As i am bringing the box over on a flight, i don't think i will be bringing my dish over! can he buy a dish in Spain?
Also i have a regular sky box aswell would it make things easier for him if i just brought that over instead of the sky plus? he only wants freeview really.
And he lives in an apartment btw.
Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2009, 5:19 pm

well if he wants the easy to use record adn palyback funcitons then sky+ is required (and the best)

if he does not want to use the record and playback then tthe basic receiver will do.

if you can make sure he has an active freesatfromsky card, or subscription card, sa you can unlock certain stronger frequeneics for itv and c4...dish size depending.

yes, dishes are available to buy in spain, but there are cowboys around. but you may need to get permission from the appartment president if you want a dish installed, epecially if you want biggie for bbc and itvs (which may also require town hall approval also in some areas!)
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

I will be taking my card over (i will not be using it anymore) the account with sky is going to remain open for a couple more months, then it will be closed, presumably it will just work as a freeview card??

thanks for the advice btw!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a stupid question, but is it not possible to subscribe to Sky in Spain?
Northern Spain (Galicia- in particular).
I ask because we do not have Sky in the UK, are in rented accommodation at the moment so would need the landlords permission to attach the aerial to anything.
But we do want to access BBC, ITV and films in Spain.
(BTW, I have the technological abilities of a chimpanzee)
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:06 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Probably a stupid question, but is it not possible to subscribe to Sky in Spain?
I ask because we do not have Sky in the UK, are in rented accommodation at the moment so would need the landlords permission to attach the aerial to anything.
'fraid not, if you look at the T&C's it says that you must have a UK address.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

RONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really nice

Originally Posted by snikpoh
'fraid not, if you look at the T&C's it says that you must have a UK address.
Yup UK/ROI only,set it up at your UK addy and your sorted,probably need a bigger dish tho.There are agents who do this for you.....at a cost.

ATB

Ron
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:26 am

you do not need a sky card / subscription to view the free to air tv channels like bbc and itc and c4 (and in some areas five)

you just need a dish and digibox...size of dish will depend on your area.

if you also want the freetoair channels you will need a freetoview card...gets you fiver, fivew us, sky3, setantasportsnews, and strong vesions of itv, c4, five

if you want the sky subscription channels then yes, you will need a sky subscription. you cannot subscribe using a nonuk address, as the uk broadcasters (normally) only buy the rights for programmes and events for broadcasting the UK only.

therefore you need to either find a sky installer in spain who can provide you with a sky card (for a fee ofcourse) or arrnage it your self.
have a look at this thead
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595620
and if you have any further questions come back to me...

Last edited by The Guy; Mar 22nd 2009 at 8:29 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

SatandPCGuy - many thanks. i will now talk to Sky etc.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: sky plus box

SatandPCGuy - many thanks. i will now talk to Sky etc.
Is it correct that if you close down your subscription correctly (28 days notice and all that) then your Sky card acts as a freetoview as long as it lasts? If so how is the roll out of new cards going? I have had my subscription card from January 2008 and when I offered the 28 days notice in Jan 2009 they said they would give me three months at £3 so I kept it on I am now at the point where I should give them 28 days notice but if the new card is imminent then I might hold off for a month or so.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Is it correct that if you close down your subscription correctly (28 days notice and all that) then your Sky card acts as a freetoview as long as it lasts? If so how is the roll out of new cards going? I have had my subscription card from January 2008 and when I offered the 28 days notice in Jan 2009 they said they would give me three months at £3 so I kept it on I am now at the point where I should give them 28 days notice but if the new card is imminent then I might hold off for a month or so.
if you can cel your sky subscription correctly then yes your card continues to function as a freesatfromsky card.

it is unknown if cancelled sub cards will be replaced or not (more likely to be not!)
the sky card change is expected in april, and completed in may, after which all existing "yellow house" cards will be deactivated.
unless somehting crops up and sky delay it again, but some new white cards have appears for a few people who have requested new ssubscriptions, and many sky employees have also had their new cards..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.