Sky & Freesat

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all
Default Sky & Freesat

This may very well be a stupid question but...

If I have a satellite dish with a double LNB, can I have a Sky box attached to one and a freesat box to the other? i.e. is the dish alignment the same for both services? Plus, if I bought a freesat box in the UK would it work in Spain? I'm presuming that like sky boxes, it would.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:18 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky & Freesat

Sky and Freesat use the same satellites.
In fact, for just about all the channels that are on both services, they use the same frequencies.
There is no seperate "Sky" and "freesat" satellite.

A sky box with no viewing card gets (just about) the same channels as a Freesat box.

A Sky box, with a freesatfromsky (non subscription) card get a few more channels : stronger ITV1 regions, Five, Five HD, Fiver, F*, Pick TV, Sony TV, Motors TV, Viva TV, Liverpool FC TV.

For example, depending on your location in Spain, on Freesat you may not get C4 or Five 24/7, but with a sky box and a Sky card you can get these on a small 80 cm dish.

To see what your receptin of channels will be like using a Freesat box, simply take your Sky viewing card out of your sky box, the channels you are then left with will be the ones you get on Freesat.

Note that if you want to use a PVR / PErsonal Video Recorder, like Sky+ or Freesat+ then those receivers ideally need 2 cables from the LNB...so you may need to go for a 4 output LMB (ie 2 for the PVR and 1 for the nonPVR box)
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Most helpful, thanks.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

pj-marbella is an unknown quantity at this point

I have sky downstairs and freesat upstairs.

I do however wish I had purchased an additional skybox as although there are lots of channels listed (pretty much the same as on Sky) I cannot get them. When I select them it just says 'new service please wait...'

Also BBC news recenely went offline so all I have is Al Jazera and a few European ones.

So with hindsight I would have opted for SKY freeview as you have more choice of channels