Reload this Page >

Sky Billing problems

Sky Billing problems

Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:58 pm
Banned

rudolph hucker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sky Billing problems

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
So you think SKY are purposely going to shed a few hundred thousand people paying anything around £40 each per month?
they have no say in it..hollywood and the sporting events are putting paid to it.
i cant seem to post any links but if you check the astra 2d forum you'll see for yourself.
it's illegal for astra 2d to be broadcast in europe

all the w's astra2d.proboards.com/index.cgi?

what they are all saying is from around june next year you will un able to receive astra 2d no mater how big a dish you have..and i have the biggest you can buy..i'm gutted i tell thee all

Last edited by rudolph hucker; Apr 15th 2010 at 6:11 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:09 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rudolph hucker
they have no say in it..hollywood and the sporting events are putting paid to it.
i cant seem to post any links but if you check the astra 2d forum you'll see for yourself.

I read that link, but it didnt seem to say that
There is a Hollywood objection presently to the downloading of films etc. Thats been hot news.

How would they actually stop the broadcasting then?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:11 pm
Banned

a new satellite is being launched .to replace 2d..the new one will make a very tight spotlight on the uk.
looks like streaming will be the only option the top satellite peeps are saying.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You can`t put a door on airwaves, and it is certainly not illegal to receive them in Europe ( by the way the UK is in Europe ), it is allegedly just against Skys T+C`s to pay for a contract and use outside the UK, but they know it is done.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:13 pm
Banned

no it's not illegal to recieve astra 2d...they are not allowed to broadcast outside the uk..the 2d satellite was suppose to put paid to it..
THE NEW ONE WILL FOR SURE.
they are making it water tight.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:18 pm
Banned

i have 4 boxes in my house...sky hd in the lounge and 3 freesat hd boxes in the bedrooms.
just make the most of it while it lasts peeps...if you can pay for a uk ip address and have a good high speed net connection then streaming is a good second option. i know nothing about satellites but i do know some very clued up people on satellite forums...2 i know are astra 2d gods...and from what they say it's all over soon for us expats

Last edited by rudolph hucker; Apr 15th 2010 at 6:21 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

no it's not illegal to recieve astra 2d...they are not allowed to broadcast outside the uk..the 2d satellite was suppose to put paid to it..
I will believe that when I lose my picture, mind you the heavy rain does a fairly good job.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:23 pm
Banned

lol and me.
around june next year...one morning you'll wake up and see
no signal being received..
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:36 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

rudolph:
i thnk you are giving out mixed messages I am afraid.
a new satellite is being launched .to replace 2d.
around june next year.
Astra 1N is due to go up next year - yes Q2/Q3.
(although given the issues with Astra 3bs failed / delayed launches the last week these may be pushed back - who knows!)
Its destination is unknown - even Astra dont know yet - they have changed its destination on the web/press release at least 3 times so far - and now its destination has been removed from their website!
It is not replaceing the 3 Astra satellites already up there.
It was initially meant to be adding EXTRA capacity - as per the Astra press release - it was to replace Astra 2c that moved from 28east a few years ago - there to provide BACK UP and EXTRA capacity for more HD channels. That is if it is actually used for UK TV.
It may go to Astra 1 location at 19 east or 23.5 for German TV....as these locations are rapidly being filled up and need more capacticy...however no one knows as Astra has not published its final location or even reception footprint.
And although 1n has a spot beam, this may not necessarily be used for UK TV (if used for that location!)...it maybe used for Astras internet service, or for another country - even Astra 2a has a spot beam currently used on Nigeria for example!
Even on one of the posts you link to they suggest 1n going to 28east is a typo by Astra that was qucikly removed - and someone saw that and said OH NO 1N is going to 28 east..before the destination was removed.

"Hmm interesting - SES have now changed the planned orbital postion for 1N from 28E to 19.2E! Typo or change of plan??" - from the poster of the original information - and the he posted "When this info was originally posted the SES site definitely said that 1N was going to 28E to begin with. However the SES site has changed since then so its anyones guess as to whats going where." - but people pickup on the "outofdate" information only and started to try and put 2 and 2 together but not getting a definate answer!!

It is not going to replace Astra 2d as that still has a few years still left!

And bear in mind that UK TV is from 4 satellites (one not even Astra!), then this one alone will not mean loss of all channels!! Many channels actually have pan european rights for their programmes - so they are happy to be received across europe!

Probably best read the full discussion and speculation on the link you provide and then comment - as all it is at the moment is speculation as nothing official has been announced by Astra abut its 1n intentions.

And not too sure about fringe reception being impossible - they said that about Astra 2d! And many of the new satellites beams that were meant to be limited are not as limiting as first thought - I can easily get the recent Poland beam! So until the satellites are up and running no-one can say what reception will be like - it may even be better - look at the South Spain and Portuguese "lobe" of 2D.

and i have the biggest you can buy..
the cheapandnasty fortecstargh 2.4m dish (i know installers heer in spain that gave them away they are so bad - see posts about them on astra2d website that say avoid them!) is not the biggest you can buy - there are 4m dishes you can get - see people over in Greece who have had to have these for the last few years for their Astra 2d reception.

they even sell them at one of my local suppliers - ref ap420
http://www.demon-multimedia.com/prod...ctos.asp?ids=4

Or make your own...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JFP7NFx3s

PS I am assuming you are "stan"?

Last edited by The Guy; Apr 15th 2010 at 7:33 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:44 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Guy
many of the new satellites beams that were meant to be limited are not as limiting as first thought - I can easily get the recent Poland beam
Can you get 3A? Kabel Deutschland for example?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by Val001
It is my understanding that you are not permitted to use Sky outside the UK legally that is although I do know people take their boxes and cards out with them but you cannot give Sky a Spanish address. A lot of people I know who live in Spain take out a Humax Freesat box which is a one off payment, runs off a dish and they can get a good selection of UK channels. Thats what we shall do when we move out. Not comfortable about the Sky thing. What happens when they issue new cards for example.
Wow, you did an effective job of diverting my original thread away from the subject! About on a par with posting "I think drinking is a sin" on the "licensed victuallers forum" !
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:33 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

No such thing as watertight, where the transmission/propagation of radio waves is concerned even at those frequencies.
Try as they might no one has yet made it an exact science
What with reflection,refraction,side lobes,end lobes,movement and correction of satellites,etc. there are always unpredictable factors, as reception in areas as far afield as Gibralter and the Canaries prove.
Also there will always be fringe areas.
Do you really believe that they can cover an area from the Shetlands down to the Channel Isles without taking in N.France for instance?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:44 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
Can you get 3A? Kabel Deutschland for example?
I have not done a scan recently or done a decently aligned test - but last time i tried i got one or two of the 3a frequencies....it has been on my "things to do" list when i have a quiet day...have a play with a 1.8 and 2.4 and see what they can pull in from some of these other birds they say have restricted beams!
(what sad life i lead!)
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:32 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

I have not done a scan recently or done a decently aligned test - but last time i tried i got one or two of the 3a frequencies....it has been on my "things to do" list when i have a quiet day...have a play with a 1.8 and 2.4 and see what they can pull in from some of these other birds they say have restricted beams!
(what sad life i lead!)
My guess is a 2.4 would be too small for 3A. Most of the rest of the European "spot" beams are easy except for maybe K1 at 1ºW but with that the intended audience is twice as far away from here as the UK.

To be honest I think this spot beam thing is a hoax. To produce a really tight spot beam the satellite would need a bigger dish for the downlink. Bigger dish means size (needs to fit in the launcher) and weight (offset against fuel means satellite would have shorter lifetime).
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

(what sad life i lead!)
LOL Thought it was only me that did that.

For the record here in Sevilla using a 1.3m (top quality) prime focus dish I can't get a sausage (German or otherwise) from 3A. I can only pick up 1G and 1E with the wider beams from 23east.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.