Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Simple cremations both Spain and UK

Simple cremations both Spain and UK

Old Apr 11th 2022, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice
Default Re: Simple cremations both Spain and UK

A "simple" cremation in Spain or the UK currently costs less than 1500 euros or 1000 pounds.

Frankly most plans are extortionate and did I not just see a report that one provider has just gone bust and the money wasn't ringfenced as it should have been.

My guess, and it is only a guess, if you wished to cover the cost a term insurance policy would be far cheaper option and would cover not just Spain and the UK but worldwide.

Best
Loco

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by owen709646
Morning all,
Does anyone have any indication or experience of arranging a policy that covers you for a simple cremation (no wistles and bells) that is valid in both Spain and the UK. One without hidden costs and that is secure and fully transferable should i ever return to the UK.

Many thanks,
Owen
Old Apr 11th 2022, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Not suitable for anyone who wants a prepaid plan which would be valid in either Spain or UK, but for simple cremation in Spain quotes are available from websites like this one (I put Malaga in the search criteria but just change that to whatever area is relevant):-

https://www.cofune.com/flist?&provin...xoCCS0QAvD_BwE
Old Apr 11th 2022, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Not suitable for anyone who wants a prepaid plan which would be valid in either Spain or UK, but for simple cremation in Spain quotes are available from websites like this one (I put Malaga in the search criteria but just change that to whatever area is relevant):-

https://www.cofune.com/flist?&provin...xoCCS0QAvD_BwE
When we looked into this it was this site that convinced us to just keep some money aside and deal with issue when it happens. It's really down to the individual.
Old Apr 11th 2022, 8:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco
A "simple" cremation in Spain or the UK currently costs less than 1500 euros or 1000 pounds.

Frankly most plans are extortionate and did I not just see a report that one provider has just gone bust and the money wasn't ringfenced as it should have been.

My guess, and it is only a guess, if you wished to cover the cost a term insurance policy would be far cheaper option and would cover not just Spain and the UK but worldwide.

Best
Loco​​​​​​
I have always suspected that many "funeral plans" are, for one reason or another, never claimed/used, whether they are savings based or insurance based, which is one of the reasons that the funeral directors love to push such schemes.

It wouldn't surprise me if, between moves/leaving the country, payments/membership lapsing, and the beneficiary forgetting to tell anyone about the funeral plan, that 10%-20% of such plans are never used despite being fully paid for.
Old Apr 11th 2022, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have always suspected that many "funeral plans" are, for one reason or another, never claimed/used, whether they are savings based or insurance based, which is one of the reasons that the funeral directors love to push such schemes.

It wouldn't surprise me if, between moves/leaving the country, payments/membership lapsing, and the beneficiary forgetting to tell anyone about the funeral plan, that 10%-20% of such plans are never used despite being fully paid for.
I have a funeral plan and family have always been informed that a plan is in place and where details are to be found, with contact numbers.
Old Apr 12th 2022, 7:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi from the France forum!
Two experiences which might also be applicable to Spain::
My former neighbour cancelled her French "Funeral Plan" when she realized that what she had paid over the years was vastly more than what a French cremation would cost. In addition, a penalty was deducted from the sum reimbursed, as she had closed it before time.... (She had returned to the UK before she died...)
When OH died, the Undertakers dealt with all the funeral procedure and I paid them, having kept that sum in a savings account (+/- 3000€). This was possible as we had a joint account, otherwise his own account would have been frozen.... Since I'm now living alone, I have accumulated enough cash, which is kept at home, so that my daughters don't have to fork out such a sum when the time comes.
What no one has mentioned, whether you have a Funeral Plan or hidden money, is all the paperwork after the funeral, for which the undertakers give a list. I had a dozen letters to send to OH's various Pensions, the Bank, the Tax Office, the Social Security Office, House/Car Insurances, Utility providers, etc...., enclosing a Death Certificate with each. This thread has reminded me to make a list of all the Organisations that my DDs must contact, together with references - it's bad enough coping with the grief, but the Bureaucracy adds insult to injury....
This said, it'll always be a problem for family in the UK, especially if the deceased is alone in Spain, with no one on the spot to deal with the administrative aftermath.
HTH
Old Apr 13th 2022, 3:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
...... I had a dozen letters to send to OH's various Pensions, the Bank, the Tax Office, the Social Security Office, House/Car Insurances, Utility providers, etc...., enclosing a Death Certificate with each. This thread has reminded me to make a list of all the Organisations that my DDs must contact, together with references - it's bad enough coping with the grief, but the Bureaucracy adds insult to injury....
And in the 21st century, that is further complicated by the need to close social media accounts, with each account having its own rules, and some of them being very difficult to contact as they seem to have very little by way of customer support. .... I have tried to engage LinkedIn concerning my best man's account but I don't have his death certificate, and his family are likely unaware of the account,.... and I don't know where to contact his family, so more than 15 years after he died his LinkedIn account is still open, though clearly of no use. Ditto a former neighbour's Farcebook account, which she used right up to her death, at age 100, but which had been hacked in the last year or so of her life, and so bizarrely her account remains active despite her having died about 2½ years ago.
Old Apr 13th 2022, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

And in the 21st century, that is further complicated by the need to close social media accounts, with each account having its own rules, and some of them being very difficult to contact as they seem to have very little by way of customer support. .... I have tried to engage LinkedIn concerning my best man's account but I don't have his death certificate, and his family are likely unaware of the account,.... and I don't know where to contact his family, so more than 15 years after he died his LinkedIn account is still open, though clearly of no use. Ditto a former neighbour's Farcebook account, which she used right up to her death, at age 100, but which had been hacked in the last year or so of her life, and so bizarrely her account remains active despite her having died about 2½ years ago.
All the main social media providers have well a established process to deal with deceased persons accounts, but not surprisingly they won’t deal with anyone who doesn’t have authority to do so and without the relevant proof.
Old Apr 13th 2022, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by UKMS
All the main social media providers have well a established process to deal with deceased persons accounts, but not surprisingly they won’t deal with anyone who doesn’t have authority to do so .....
But that's kinda the point, it can be very difficult to prove that anyone "has the authority", as most SM accounts are free-floating, and/or are highly suceptible to thirdparty malicious communications designed to cause trouble, and many SM profiles don't obviously allign with a real person, with the name, and other personal details, not linking 1:1 with the data on a death certificate. For example people might have given the wrong DoB (as a not-unreasonable strategy to mitigate the risk of identifty theft), or the SM site not even requesting DoB.

In any case, as I think you are inferring, it would be a good idea for most people to investigate the matter themselves and set up the procedures and collect any documentation to enable someone to freeze/ delete their SM profiles after their demise.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 13th 2022 at 6:32 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2022, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

But that's kinda the point, it can be very difficult to prove that anyone "has the authority", as most SM accounts are free-floating, and/or are highly suceptible to thirdparty malicious communications designed to cause trouble, and many SM profiles don't obviously allign with a real person, with the name, and other personal details, not linking 1:1 with the data on a death certificate. For example people might have given the wrong DoB (as a not-unreasonable strategy to mitigate the risk of identifty theft), or the SM site not even requesting DoB.

In any case, as I think you are inferring, it would be a good idea for most people to investigate the matter themselves and set up the procedures and collect any documentation to enable someone to freeze/ delete their SM profiles after their demise.
Facebook make it quite clear who has authority and also accounts can be memorialised rather than deleted, they also allow a user to set up legacy users as do Apple for their services. LinkedIn also have very clear guidelines for closing or to memorialise an account. There is no perfect solution really unless a user takes steps before death. It certainly adds an additional headache for family members.
Old Apr 13th 2022, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by UKMS
.... There is no perfect solution really unless a user takes steps before death. It certainly adds an additional headache for family members.
Old Apr 14th 2022, 6:53 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

My goodness, I didn't think of that. OH wasn't interested in social media, but I have a FB account and it'll go on the to-do list.... (DD2 installed it, so she'll know how to cancel it).
Further off-topic and a minor consideration, the deceased's Direct Debit subscriptions must also be cancelled...
Old Apr 14th 2022, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
My goodness, I didn't think of that. OH wasn't interested in social media, but I have a FB account and it'll go on the to-do list.... (DD2 installed it, so she'll know how to cancel it).
Further off-topic and a minor consideration, the deceased's Direct Debit subscriptions must also be cancelled...
It helps a great deal if you are an executor of a will to get power of attorney while the testator is still alive and with full faculties, and also become a joint account holder for current account. It makes your life a lot easier. I was an executor of a near relative and it made things a lot easier to wind up their estate, cancel memberships etc.
Old Apr 14th 2022, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Joppa - power of attorney is a very good idea and very beneficial. Well worth thinking about.
Old Apr 14th 2022, 10:36 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
I agree with Joppa - power of attorney is a very good idea and very beneficial. Well worth thinking about.
But power of attorney ceases once they are dead! Can't see the point at all because of that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.