Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

siesta time.....................

siesta time.....................

Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: siesta time.....................

What I am saying is no holidaymakers .. economy suffers! How many restaurants and bars do you think each town could support without people here on holiday for 6 months of the year spending money (you only have to look to see how many close completely during the winter) ... all the expats complain that their pensions are low because of the exchange rate, and so many locals and expats are employed in the hospitality industry.
As I pointed out in the Ayamonte thread, our 'guests' seem to ignore any instructions given to them, such as not using the pool for an hour or so after the pool guy has been (to allow the chemicals to settle), showering off suncream in our outside shower before swimming in it (to stop it going murky), turning the pool floodlight off at night to stop it getting full of moths, using the plastic glasses we provide for outside to stop glass getting in the pool (have now replaced all the glasses with plastic ones, except for a few glass ones we keep in our 'private' cupboard for dinner parties) etc etc ... and that is just the pool!
We ask them to contact us in case of problems, not our keyholders - do they?NFW! I am saying that people are on holiday to have a good time and they don't come to Spain to respect the customs .. most of them don't go to bullfights (unlike most Spanish), they eat early in the evening (meaning more tables available for those who have to work until 8.00pm or later), they return to the villa from Portal de las Marinas laden with shopping (unlike our expat friends and Spanish friends, who will go out to purchase a particular item)
I am not saying I am like that ... personally I love nothing better than a siesta on a hot afternoon ... and I think making a nuisance of yourself outside at ANY time of the day or night is beyond the pale!
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:08 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

But do you honestly think that holidaymakers will stop coming to Spain just because they have to be a little quiet in the hottest few hours of the summer days
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:13 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
But do you honestly think that holidaymakers will stop coming to Spain just because they have to be a little quiet in the hottest few hours of the summer days
of course they wouldn't!

and they've got to have lunch sometime, so why not just a bit later?

& sometimes it's just that they know no better

the thing is it just about always seems to be the Brits who have the 'I'm on holiday & I'll do what I like' attitude

you know I used to live on a much bigger urb that I do now - & we had holidaymakers there from all over Europe

you could almost always guarantee that it would be the Brits ignoring the rules

of course there was that group of French one year who ...................

best left unsaid

Last edited by lynnxa; Aug 12th 2009 at 7:15 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
did it work?

that might be a useful ploy.........................
She was a spanish abuela - who took to my daughter like one of her own.

She talked to me and taught me loads.

They sometimes say it is difficult to get into a spanish family for real.
Ive been very lucky.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
She was a spanish abuela - who took to my daughter like one of her own.

She talked to me and taught me loads.

They sometimes say it is difficult to get into a spanish family for real.
Ive been very lucky.
once they accept you they are like family

more so - because they chose to have you in their family
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

If you had a property in Spain to rent out with the economy as it is right now you would realise it is hard enough to get people to come, let alone give them a huge list of rules they must follow when they arrive. We have been renting our place for six years now and these last two have certainly shown how competitive the market is!
Its not only petty rules ... there is the credit crunch which is causing people to lose their jobs (some of the big UK travel companies now offer free redundancy insurance, on top of heavily discounted holidays), increased cost of flights, the strength of the euro v pound, the terrorism threat in Spain at the moment ... etc etc.
The odds are stacked against travel abroad ... am just hoping the awful weather in UK this summer will show people that a 'staycation' is not the best option ... we have been inundated with enquiries for July, August and September, which fortunately we had already sold!
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lynnxa
of course they wouldn't!

and they've got to have lunch sometime, so why not just a bit later?

& sometimes it's just that they know no better

the thing is it just about always seems to be the Brits who have the 'I'm on holiday & I'll do what I like' attitude

you know I used to live on a much bigger urb that I do now - & we had holidaymakers there from all over Europe

you could almost always guarantee that it would be the Brits ignoring the rules

of course there was that group of French one year who ...................

best left unsaid
Over six years of renting, both us, and our keyholders (who also look after several other villas), would disagree with you ... it is definitely Scandinavians who leave their inhibitions and manners at home!
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Aww come one, you know the Brits like to be out in the midday sun.

It's psychological really. We all want to do what is forbidden.

Fortunately, in our urbanisation nobody gives a rat's arse what time of day it is, they use the pool freely.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
If you had a property in Spain to rent out with the economy as it is right now you would realise it is hard enough to get people to come, let alone give them a huge list of rules they must follow when they arrive. We have been renting our place for six years now and these last two have certainly shown how competitive the market is!
Its not only petty rules ... there is the credit crunch which is causing people to lose their jobs (some of the big UK travel companies now offer free redundancy insurance, on top of heavily discounted holidays), increased cost of flights, the strength of the euro v pound, the terrorism threat in Spain at the moment ... etc etc.
The odds are stacked against travel abroad ... am just hoping the awful weather in UK this summer will show people that a 'staycation' is not the best option ... we have been inundated with enquiries for July, August and September, which fortunately we had already sold!
Yeah I take your point
But I have rented property in Spain
You dont need a long list of rules.
Respect your neighbours and their siesta time is what applies here, simple enough . Its not a petty rule, its simply a reasonable request, and I know from experience it isnt going to stop reasonable people from renting a property
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah I take your point
But I have rented property in Spain
You dont need a long list of rules.
Respect your neighbours and their siesta time is what applies here, simple enough . Its not a petty rule, its simply a reasonable request, and I know from experience it isnt going to stop reasonable people from renting a property
But if you are based in the UK it isn't possible to control their behaviour ... fortunately the vast majority of our guests tend to be elderly, or with very young children and realise that the 'heat of the midday sun' is not good for them ... and that there is plenty of sunshine all day!
I can't really ask our keyholders to go over and say 'keep the noise down please because those that live here like to sleep at lunchtime', can I?
All I can do is ask them to respect the property and the neighbours in the information pack which I send (which I am sure they do not bother to read based on problems they have had), and they either choose to accept or not, depending on what type of person they are. One set of guests hated being out of town and spent their whole holiday driving 30 minutes to McDonalds in Denia for lunch each day because that was what they liked, rather than try the local restaurants on the mountain ... needless to say they didn't rent our place again!
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Me I can't wait for them to go back from their holidays. We are in a small complex where both swimming pools (indoors and out) are open from 8 until 22. Obviously tourists cannot read in any language because they take great delight in using the indoor pool (in which everything echos at night) at all hours. The times we are woke during the night during August and September are unbelievable and it is no fun knowing you have to get up for work the following morning. When anything is said to them the general reply is " I am paying umpteen euros a week and it's my holiday and I will do what I want when I want"
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
Me I can't wait for them to go back from their holidays. We are in a small complex where both swimming pools (indoors and out) are open from 8 until 22. Obviously tourists cannot read in any language because they take great delight in using the indoor pool (in which everything echos at night) at all hours. The times we are woke during the night during August and September are unbelievable and it is no fun knowing you have to get up for work the following morning. When anything is said to them the general reply is " I am paying umpteen euros a week and it's my holiday and I will do what I want when I want"
We shut ours at 22.00 due to health and safety (no lights in garden) and no insurance cover. ;-) ;-)

Also if the pool is 2 mtrs deep then it should only be open if a lifeguard is on duty.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Ummmm!!!!!!!!!!
Spanish culture

v

English culture.

or a mixture of both!!!!!!!!!

They dont seem to quite coagulate(think i spelt that right) all the time.

Do your best and respect the culture.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
We shut ours at 22.00 due to health and safety (no lights in garden) and no insurance cover. ;-) ;-)

Also if the pool is 2 mtrs deep then it should only be open if a lifeguard is on duty.
We don't have a lifeguard at all so must not be 2 mtrs(??) we also have a jacuzzi (that' s real favourite with the cans and fags) during the night and we also have no lights - they go out at 11
Old Aug 12th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
they don't come to Spain to respect the customs .. most of them don't go to bullfights (unlike most Spanish),

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.