Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

siesta time.....................

siesta time.....................

Old Aug 12th 2009, 3:06 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default siesta time.....................

no, not the sub forum..............

a discussion has arisen on the Ayamonte thread about rules & urbanisations

I believe that we should adopt the rules of of adopted country, whether we live here or are here on holiday

the discussion started about rubbish collection, but has become specifically about the 'siesta quiet time' rule most urabanisations have

I'm a firm believer in it - it's too hot to go out between 3-5 anyway - especially for kids & even more especially for kids not brought up here & not used to the heat/sun

there are some in the thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...64#post7836364 who feel that the rules are petty & that since they have bought their home for holidays they should be able to do pretty much what they want when they want

what do you think?
Old Aug 12th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: siesta time.....................

Originally Posted by lynnxa

I believe that we should adopt the rules of of adopted country, whether we live here or are here on holiday

the discussion started about rubbish collection, but has become specifically about the 'siesta quiet time' rule most urabanisations have

I'm a firm believer in it - it's too hot to go out between 3-5 anyway - especially for kids & even more especially for kids not brought up here & not used to the heat/sun

there are some in the thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...64#post7836364 who feel that the rules are petty & that since they have bought their home for holidays they should be able to do pretty much what they want when they want

what do you think?
When I lived in Valencia city the Grandmother of one of my daughters friends told me that"decent children" do not go out in siesta time.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

It's not an issue on our urbanisation as there isn't a siesta rule. Also, it is small and residential so no problems with rentals/holidaymakers.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

what do you think?
Last year, I brought to your attention the fact that a Spanish builder near us was breaking a national regulation that building work may not start before 8.00am in August (recognised holiday season)... and was castigated for possibly denying a builder an opportunity to work in the cooler hours of the morning ... even though it is the LAW!
Now you are complaining that I suggest local rules governing the use of pools during daylight hours are petty, when much of Spain's economy depends on tourism. People on holiday like to enjoy themselves ... end of story! I believe strongly that all noise should be kept to a minimum at night, from say 10.00pm onwards to allow adults and children to get a decent night's sleep. Have no objection to bin collection at night, as it is only a brief disturbance!
If you live in a small urbanisation of only local people/Spanish residents with a communal pool, you might be able to enforce your rule ... but perhaps you should have rented/bought an apartment which didn't overlook the pool area!
Old Aug 12th 2009, 5:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
Last year, I brought to your attention the fact that a Spanish builder near us was breaking a national regulation that building work may not start before 8.00am in August (recognised holiday season)... and was castigated for possibly denying a builder an opportunity to work in the cooler hours of the morning ... even though it is the LAW!
Now you are complaining that I suggest local rules governing the use of pools during daylight hours are petty, when much of Spain's economy depends on tourism. People on holiday like to enjoy themselves ... end of story! I believe strongly that all noise should be kept to a minimum at night, from say 10.00pm onwards to allow adults and children to get a decent night's sleep. Have no objection to bin collection at night, as it is only a brief disturbance!
If you live in a small urbanisation of only local people/Spanish residents with a communal pool, you might be able to enforce your rule ... but perhaps you should have rented/bought an apartment which didn't overlook the pool area!
22.00 is when most Spanish have probably finished work and are just going out for dinner or entertainment, children too.
It`s a different culture, live with it.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

What are you doing in bed at 10pm for goodness sake??? I thought you said people on holiday liked to enjoy themselves? That's a bit contradictory.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 5:45 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

castigated by me??

the 'noise & pool' rules in our urb are as follows

you can use the pool & make as much noise as you like between 10am & 11pm, except between 3pm & 5pm

that's 11 hours a day when it's pretty much a free-for -all

2 hours of peace in the midddle of the day surely isn't too much to ask

the majority of us here are resident and/or spanish, so it's not a problem

it can cause problems when holidaymakers aren't informed of the rules by the owners of the apartment - all the owners have the opportunity to vote on the rules, so should abide by them & ensure that any tenants - short or long term, paying or not - do too

I don't much care - they're here for a couple of weeks then we're back to normal

Last edited by lynnxa; Aug 12th 2009 at 5:53 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 5:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Personal non moderator opinion alert

To be honest I feel, apart from common sense, this is showing a total disrespect for everyone else. Not everyone over here is a holidaymaker. Some people have to work.

A typical Spanish day will end up with people working until late in the evening and then eating late at night to avoid the heat. Therefore siesta time in some instances is essential. This is Spanish life. The country you have chosen to visit /live in. A place where life goes on, and necessary traditions should be respected as much as possible. I live on what could loosely be called an urb and I would never consider getting my electric drill out or doing work on my house between 2 and 4ish. There are no rules here. But I wouldnt think of doing it out of respect for others.

Respect of course is a word that has lost its meaning over the years, I realise
Old Aug 12th 2009, 5:53 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jdr
22.00 is when most Spanish have probably finished work and are just going out for dinner or entertainment, children too.
It`s a different culture, live with it.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 5:57 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

To be honest I feel, apart from common sense, this is showing a total disrespect for everyone else. Not everyone over here is a holidaymaker. Some people have to work.

A typical Spanish day will end up with people working until late in the evening and then eating late at night to avoid the heat. Therefore siesta time in some instances is essential. This is Spanish life. The country you have chosen to visit /live in. A place where life goes on, and necessary traditions should be respected as much as possible. I live on what could loosely be called an urb and I would never consider getting my electric drill out or doing work on my house between 2 and 4ish. There are no rules here. But I wouldnt think of doing it out of respect for others.

you wouldn't need written rules if only everyone showed a bit of respect

I wonder if there was a need for them at all before us foreigners invaded

I suspect not...................
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:02 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by paintermujer
When I lived in Valencia city the Grandmother of one of my daughters friends told me that"decent children" do not go out in siesta time.
did it work?

that might be a useful ploy.........................

Last edited by lynnxa; Aug 12th 2009 at 6:04 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

I absolutely agree that you should respect others, and I always do so ... I personally am never in bed before midnight, often 2.00am at weekends, but try to keep the noise down after dark out of respect for people have small children who need to be in bed to start school at 8.00am ... or babies who sleep naturally during the hours of darkness (as human beings are designed to do ... hence the phrase 'jet lag' when crossing time zones!
What I was trying to say, is that holidaymakers need to enjoy their holiday, and at this time of year, most of us live in an area frequented by holidaymakers, who are essential to the local economy... Six months of the year the locals rule!
As for working on my house between 2 and 4ish ... well I don't have to do much work on my house in Spain fortunately, but in UK we do no DIY at weekends before 10.00am or after 6.00pm ....
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

you wouldn't need written rules if only everyone showed a bit of respect

I wonder if there was a need for them at all before us foreigners invaded

I suspect not...................
I agree ... if everyone thought of others the world would be a much nicer place ... when I used to take my kids to the beach when they were little, I would tell them not to play ball/build sandcastles close to other people, for fear of spoiling their enjoyment of the beach. Equally well, I keep my dog on a lead in the park, as I know not everyone is a fan of muddy dogs running up to them etc etc (although there are no laws in my park saying dogs must be kept on leads)
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

I absolutely agree that you should respect others, and I always do so ... I personally am never in bed before midnight, often 2.00am at weekends, but try to keep the noise down after dark out of respect for people have small children who need to be in bed to start school at 8.00am ... or babies who sleep naturally during the hours of darkness (as human beings are designed to do ... hence the phrase 'jet lag' when crossing time zones!
What I was trying to say, is that holidaymakers need to enjoy their holiday, and at this time of year, most of us live in an area frequented by holidaymakers, who are essential to the local economy... Six months of the year the locals rule!
As for working on my house between 2 and 4ish ... well I don't have to do much work on my house in Spain fortunately, but in UK we do no DIY at weekends before 10.00am or after 6.00pm ....
OK so you respect your neighbours in the UK, and would expect others to do the same, but don't expect holidaymakers to respect their neighbours in Spain

I'm not saying that you personally don't respect them - but that for some reason you don't expect others to
Old Aug 12th 2009, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Did you know that humans are "designed" to sleep twice day? Do you not feel your body wanting to naturally shut down and have a sleep after lunchtime?

If we all listened to what our bodies wanted and had no commitments, such as work or looking after kids, we'd all be having siestas.

So I don't think it is just the darkness hours that need respecting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.