Sierra Nevada

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sierra Nevada

Originally Posted by marchena
Hi,
Thanks for your hint. I do not have a budget as I have never been there and we have 2 kids 8 and 5 and we would like to go for a weekend and try skiing after 13 years spent in North Africa so we would like to show snow to our kids and even try do some skiing as my husband is a good in it. I guess skiing pass is exepnsive but we want to give a try¡
Someone told me you can go skiing in the Atlas mountains around Marrakech, is that true?

I've skied in the Sierra Nevada a number of times, it can get incredibly busy at the weekends, especially around Christmas and I dont feel you get your moneys worth. If it is a long trek for you, you may be better off going to somewhere like Andorra which has a lot better snow and facilities and can work out cheaper.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

marchena is a jewel in the roughmarchena is a jewel in the roughmarchena is a jewel in the roughmarchena is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cricketman
Someone told me you can go skiing in the Atlas mountains around Marrakech, is that true?

I've skied in the Sierra Nevada a number of times, it can get incredibly busy at the weekends, especially around Christmas and I dont feel you get your moneys worth. If it is a long trek for you, you may be better off going to somewhere like Andorra which has a lot better snow and facilities and can work out cheaper.
Yes you are right around Marrakech you can ski if you are like to have snow on the slopes and with the local equipement they have I will not dare to try. anyway we were thinking of going in January just for a try and it it seems it is just above 2 hours drive from where we are.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
So ..... anyone got any suggestions as NY is a little too far away
In the absence of personal recommendations, I often sift through the reports on tripadvisor, I've never really been disappointed that way. This one gets good reviews
There seem to be quite a lot recommended in Monachil.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

marchena is a jewel in the roughmarchena is a jewel in the roughmarchena is a jewel in the roughmarchena is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by agoreira
In the absence of personal recommendations, I often sift through the reports on tripadvisor, I've never really been disappointed that way. This one gets good reviews
There seem to be quite a lot recommended in Monachil.
Thanks a lot I will have a look.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

You could try :-

http://www.booking.com/searchresults...01;srpos=1#map

where you can specify the type of accommodation and facilities you would like.

I then use Tripadvisor for reports on the places I fancy.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
You could try :-

http://www.booking.com/searchresults...01;srpos=1#map

where you can specify the type of accommodation and facilities you would like.

I then use Tripadvisor for reports on the places I fancy.
Yes, booking.com is good for pricing, like you, I've used both in the past.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard mixed reports on Andorra - long way for a disappointment, expensive small nothingness, etc... but I've not been, only saying.

Re Sierra Nevada, given that the kids are 8 & 5, I can heartily recommend the activities area they've got. We went (I say we - it was me, 18yo daughter, 8yo son & a coachload of his schoolfriends)... and paid what I considered a small fortune for a pass to about 4 or five toboggan run/snow rollercoaster/snowscooter/ type things, and all THOROUGHLY enjoyed ourselves. ...I say WE enjoyed ourselves... the school trip was stymied by lack of snow & their snowshoe-trek came to nothing, unfortunately. We were alright, though! nb there's already snow visible there, pretty early by all accounts.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fionamw
I've heard mixed reports on Andorra - long way for a disappointment, expensive small nothingness, etc... but I've not been, only saying.

Re Sierra Nevada, given that the kids are 8 & 5, I can heartily recommend the activities area they've got. We went (I say we - it was me, 18yo daughter, 8yo son & a coachload of his schoolfriends)... and paid what I considered a small fortune for a pass to about 4 or five toboggan run/snow rollercoaster/snowscooter/ type things, and all THOROUGHLY enjoyed ourselves. ...I say WE enjoyed ourselves... the school trip was stymied by lack of snow & their snowshoe-trek came to nothing, unfortunately. We were alright, though! nb there's already snow visible there, pretty early by all accounts.
Great that sounds great I can not wait but before that we have to buy our REAL winter clothes as we are really missing real good winter stuff.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:22 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Comparing Sierra Nevada to other resorts I´ve been to, I have to say that I didn´t find the prices for skipasses and rentals of equipment very high. Plus it´s a beautifull area. Definetely go!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Indeed! We normally only pay around 48€ for a 1 day pass including ski hire and parking (go during the week).

Oh and it´s not normally that cold up there, on a blue sky day you will be sat in your ski trousers and a tshirt!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ShinyAndy
Indeed! We normally only pay around 48€ for a 1 day pass including ski hire and parking (go during the week).

Oh and it´s not normally that cold up there, on a blue sky day you will be sat in your ski trousers and a tshirt!
wow sounds cool
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

And (not that you would) don't forget your sunglasses... and don't fail to have chocolate & churros up there. Somehow seems less calorie-laden at altitude!
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fionamw
And (not that you would) don't forget your sunglasses... and don't fail to have chocolate & churros up there. Somehow seems less calorie-laden at altitude!
Of course sun glasses is a must but definitly not this week bad weather seems to be installed until the weekend