Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Should a mother inform on her son?

Should a mother inform on her son?

Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should a mother inform on her son?

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Makes me wonder what some people have been up to to hate the Police so much. I haven't had problems in either country
Bit like me, been driving for around 40 years, only ever been stopped twice, once in Spain, and once in UK. Spain was years ago during the Ryder Cup, the Guardia were fine, very polite, and UK was when I was pulled over for driving way, way over the speed limit, and the nice lady police officer apologised as she gave me a speeding ticket. So no, absolutely no problems with the police whatsoever.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:09 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Great, isn't it? One of our right on women posters now wants to jail people on the basis of a facial expression?

Plus the tired old canard that prisons are too soft.

Trouble is that too many people are incapable of looking at the problem rationally. Prisons in the US are far worse than the UK ones, and they are currently banging up a bigger %of their population than we are.

Prison should primarily be a place where people should be put to keep them away from society, because they are a danger to society.

People who commit non violent crime should be made to repay their debt to society properly. At the moment we take someone who has comitted a crime, we don't make them reimburse their victims, we lock them up in an institution that costs more than the RItz per day, and at the end we have a person that is likely to be even more antisocial and criminalised than they were when they were caught.

Where precisely is the sense in that?

Last edited by bil; Jan 13th 2011 at 11:14 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:26 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
But then in five years time he gets out of jail & will be an even worse person, hardly proactive to society is it?
Who got 5 years?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:12 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Makes me wonder what some people have been up to to hate the Police so much. I haven't had problems in either country .
I've not had any problems with any police in any country.

What's that got to do with it? I don't hate the police per se. It's the bent ones that I hate.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:31 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Who got 5 years?
That's what I was thinking, and in jail? I don't think licinius lets the facts or the truth get in the way of his prejudices.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jimenato
That's what I was thinking, and in jail? I don't think licinius lets the facts or the truth get in the way of his prejudices.

Nor the fact that an appeal has yet to be heard.

Still it gives certain people here more opportunity to air their dirty washing and knock the majority of law abiding public.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:48 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I try and tip-toe through life now, it’s much easier. I was reminded of it only today, only a couple of hours ago.

A Spanish bar reopened recently, having been closed for five years. We went to sit on the terrace because it was the only one with a sun shade, some daft arsonist has been going around the area setting fire to the others.

The owner’s brother gave me a funny look when he served us and asked if I had been in the bar five years ago when a couple of men ejected a mad Russian customer who had been touching up women customers – and the bar owner had not yet been compensated for a broken window, a rather big window.

I shook my head vehemently but asked my wife to drink her coffee as quickly as she could. That window cost a thousand Euros to replace, and it was boarded up for years.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HBG

I shook my head vehemently but asked my wife to drink her coffee as quickly as she could. That window cost a thousand Euros to replace, and it was boarded up for years.

Should have had insurance.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:15 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Nor the fact that an appeal has yet to be heard.

Still it gives certain people here more opportunity to air their dirty washing and knock the majority of law abiding public.
and it gives the hard of thinking room to stand, unfortunately.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:40 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Should have had insurance.
They're Spanish.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:18 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
They're Spanish.
You must have thrown that guy pretty damn hard to get him thru the window....
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but if you wanted to hit somebody in a crowd from above then you would, dashing out of the way of a falling object however is an entirely different thing, gravity is quite fast you know.
Go and try it, it is possible provided you are alerted early enough.

Our jails are full but crime is still rising, does that not tell you that something is wrong with the current system?
Yes, we need to build more jails or model them on USA jails so they are less like holiday camps. Let's think, JSA is what, about £60 a week, out of which you have to pay rent utilities and feed yourself, jail is all inclusive and you get paid a nominal wage provided you do more than sit on your backside watching TV.

Originally Posted by jimenato
I'm sure you three would think differently if someone had been killed.
And you responded;
Not really, I totally agree with locking people away who are a danger/menace to society ……….
You're contradicting yourself, you say your view wouldn't be different if someone had been killed in this incident then say you agree with locking people away who are a danger/menace, or don't you consider killers to be a danger or menace?

I travel back n forth every month & keep getting stopped by old bill as I'm leaving the UK …...
We know you’ve never made a secret of your belief that all old bill are corrupt (as 50% of your posts are about this), but it’s a bit off accusing them of something that didn’t happen. The UK borders are manned by the UK Border Agency and HMRC, albeit I grant you the police do have a presence at the control for those ENTERING the UK except when they are present to stop a known criminal leaving the country to escape justice.

Consider for a moment football hooliganism during the 70's/80's. It was impossible then for a young lad not to get caught up in it. It was an act carried out by literally thousands week in/week out. Until a clamp down. For years the police had arrested absolutely anybody they could, but hooliganism not only continued.......... it thrived.
What rubbish, anyone with half a brain can avoid trouble. There were thousands of students protesting and it was only a small percentage that acted like football hooligans.

Then a decision was made to take out the ring leaders, big prison terms were handed out to them & those that had followed 'the crowd' gave up scrapping & went back to just watching football, alas hooliganism ended.
Either you don’t understand the meaning of the word alas or are you actually saying you miss the hooliganism?

How many seconds does it take for an object to hit the ground? How many floors up was it? What is the speed of gravity? What you are suggesting is physically impossible, try watching the video clip again in real time. It's slowed down because it all happened so fast and if it wasn't slowed down......... you wouldn't see it!
You keep saying people can’t get out of the way of a falling object despite evidence to the contrary and hint that the speed of a falling object is too great but haven’t quoted a speed to substantiate your belief. For your info a falling object travels at 32 feet per second squared. In case you lack the capacity to understand what that means, it means at the end of the first second it is travelling at 32FPS, and the end of the second second it is travelling at 64FPS, the third 128FPS ad infinitum until wind resistance stops it accelerating any further and it has reached its terminal velocity. Others have posted that it was an 8 storey building so it would have been falling for around 3 seconds. Scientific tests have established that the average person has a reaction time of 0.7 seconds, I would hope that police officers would have reaction times faster than average because of the nature of their employment.

The biggest difference in Spain is the police won't interfere with you if you're minding your own business.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, you’ve said that before. Try telling that to those who have had a beating from the Spanish police and especially to the poor sod who got beaten up by them a couple of months ago, an incident that was witnessed by one of the forum members who posted about it on here, you were conspicuous by your absence on that thread. But then again you’ve never allowed the truth to interfere with your belief.

Prison only serves one purpose, & that is to securely detain people who are a danger to society. Murderers, rapists, serial criminals etc need to be locked up to protect the public.
Prisons are there to house that portion of the population who refuse to abide by the laws of the land whether their crime involves violence/danger or not. If someone does not want to comply with the laws of society they have no right to live among society, that is the purpose of prison, to remove that person from society.

Last edited by Bomber Harris; Jan 14th 2011 at 5:21 am.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:29 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
Yes, we need to build more jails or model them on USA jails so they are less like holiday camps. Let's think, JSA is what, about £60 a week, out of which you have to pay rent utilities and feed yourself, jail is all inclusive and you get paid a nominal wage provided you do more than sit on your backside watching TV.

Prisons are there to house that portion of the population who refuse to abide by the laws of the land whether their crime involves violence/danger or not. If someone does not want to comply with the laws of society they have no right to live among society, that is the purpose of prison, to remove that person from society.

So we should ignore the fact that the harsher prison sentances and treatment in the US has resulted in them locking up even more of their people than we do?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some kind of bleeding heart liberal.

For persistant criminals who won't conform, as far as I am concerned, you can render them down for soup, or use them for spare parts.

I just disagree with locking up nonviolents at a horrific cost to us all, which mostly doesn't reform them, but makes them worse.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HBG
They're Spanish.

so what?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:37 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Right at this time, the police are trying to identify people involved in the student riots by publishing lots of photographs, including a person running down the street with a container on fire (I think it’s a woman) and some clown kicking that ancient Rolls Royce containing Prince Charles and his new wife.

If those people are identified, they will be given exemplary sentences to stop the next student riots. I don’t see much wrong in that, out of control riots should not happen in a civilised society.

But, as the initial title of this thread implies, I worry about those idiots being grassed up by their mothers. The subject may have been nearly flogged to death, but it’s an important one, in my view.

We all have mothers and most of us adore them, and even if we don’t, they’re all we’ve got.

There should be a law to stop mothers grassing up their children.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.