Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Should a mother inform on her son?

Should a mother inform on her son?

Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:55 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should a mother inform on her son?

I’m referring to the 18-year old student jailed for 2 years and 8 months for throwing a fire extinguisher from the roof of Millbank Tower during the tuition fee riots. When he got home, he confessed to his mother and she drove him to the police station and grassed him up. She is photographed holding his hand as she goes into court with him, where the young man breaks down when the judge sends him down.

Was the mother right?

As a father, if my 18-year old son confessed to me what he had done in a moment of madness, I would not have informed on him, and nor would my wife.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:07 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should a mother inform on her son?

Originally Posted by HBG
I’m referring to the 18-year old student jailed for 2 years and 8 months for throwing a fire extinguisher from the roof of Millbank Tower during the tuition fee riots. When he got home, he confessed to his mother and she drove him to the police station and grassed him up. She is photographed holding his hand as she goes into court with him, where the young man breaks down when the judge sends him down.

Was the mother right?

As a father, if my 18-year old son confessed to me what he had done in a moment of madness, I would not have informed on him, and nor would my wife.
Nope. Me neither.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

No chance of me informing on my boys.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:19 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Son or no son.

It was obvious it was only a matter of time before they caught him anyway and it was a despicable thing to do, it would be like harboring a murderer.

What he did should have been classed as at the very least attempted murder, if that fire extinguisher had hit anyone below on the head with its bottom edge, it would not have been serious injury like the judge said, it would have been certain death.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Yes, Son or no son.

It was obvious it was only a matter of time before they caught him anyway and it was a despicable thing to do, it would be like harboring a murderer.

What he did should have been classed as at the very least attempted murder, if that fire extinguisher had hit anyone below on the head with its bottom edge, it would not have been serious injury like the judge said, it would have been certain death.
It was wrong and I would be furious if one of my sons had been so stupid but I would not under any circumstances report them to the police.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Yes, Son or no son.

Have to agree with you on this, it goes far beyond what is acceptable behavior son or not, and age most certainly doesn't let him off the hook as he is legally an adult.
This young man needs to accept responsibility for his actions which could have caused the death of someone else's father son or husband!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Have to agree with you on this, it goes far beyond what is acceptable behavior son or not, and age most certainly doesn't let him off the hook as he is legally an adult.
This young man needs to accept responsibility for his actions which could have caused the death of someone else's father son or husband!
in the circumstances as they happened - no, I wouldn't have

however if someone had been killed ................ I just don't know tbh
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:26 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve often wondered at those stories where a mother informs on her own children, perhaps in the belief that they are helping them in some way.

By having your own flesh and blood sent to prison? That young boy in question, an A level student from a respectable background, will have his entire life ****ed up by going to prison. He will never recover from such an ordeal at such a young age.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

I would have no problem encouraging my child to do the right thing and if he was not able to make the right decision, I would do my job as a parent and make sure he did the right thing and turn himself in. He was lucky that nobody was killed due to his thoughtless and reckless actions, I am proud of his Mother as she is setting an example as painful as it might be for the entire family.
There is no excuse for what this young man did. I bet the same people who say they would not turn their kid in, would feel very different if one of their precious kids or spouse got killed by such a senseless action.
Some people amaze me ..
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
By having your own flesh and blood sent to prison? That young boy in question, an A level student from a respectable background, will have his entire life ****ed up by going to prison. He will never recover from such an ordeal at such a young age.
That "young boy" is 18, that legally makes him a man, at his age soldier's are fighting and dying in Afghanistan, let's not try and make him out to be "young boy". He's more than old enough to be responsible for his own stupid actions. If he fancies himself as a bit of a "warrior", he can join up when he gets out.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:58 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

Same here.

Originally Posted by HBG
I’ve often wondered at those stories where a mother informs on her own children, perhaps in the belief that they are helping them in some way.

Sad and very true.

I know what he did could have had dire consequenses, but when he threw the extinguisher off the rof, I dont think he menat to hurt anyone, he got carried away by the moment.

I feel so sorry for them as a family......can they ever be the same.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:04 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

It's a very tough decision, and like Lynnxa I suspect it would depend on exactly what had happened. I suspect that I wouldn't know for sure what I'd do if someone close to me was guilty of a major crime.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:23 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Purely and simply it was a stupid act carried out in the heat of the moment without thinking.

I think that some of those here who would be so fast to turn him in were he their son haven't thought it thru.

His life now has a criminal record hanging over it, and that will cause him problems for the rest of his life.

I know that the righteous here will say that he deserves it, but then there are always those who are very fast to claim the moral high ground, sometimes without having much right to be there.

No-one was injured. Do people on here really say that they would be happy to see their son in Jail for over a year. He's a pretty boy, and I'm sure he will be considered an asset in the showers, where he will have a chance of coming home with AIDs as a souvenir of his parents' high moral standing.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I dont think he menat to hurt anyone, he got carried away by the moment.
But of course that could be applied to so many crimes, do we excuse them all by saying "they got carried away". So many murders, rapes etc, are not planned, they just get "carried away". I'm sure a lot that have been done for rape would have loved to have used that excuse, "Sorry your worship, but I got a bit carried a way". "Send him down!" He's old enough, and supposedly intelligent enough, to know that throwing an extinguiser off the top of a building into a crowd of people could have had fatal results. If it had killed someone, should we let him off by saying "he got carried away".
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by agoreira
That "young boy" is 18, that legally makes him a man, at his age soldier's are fighting and dying in Afghanistan, let's not try and make him out to be "young boy". He's more than old enough to be responsible for his own stupid actions. If he fancies himself as a bit of a "warrior", he can join up when he gets out.
Contrary to popular belief, you don't just show up at the Armed Forces Careers Office and get accepted.

This person will never be able to join the forces. Not that he would have had the balls to do so in the first place, the cowardly pr1ck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.