Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

shocking statistics

shocking statistics

Old Jan 7th 2020, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

breakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shocking statistics

I think it's all relative.

I am a Service Desk Manager and earn 5,500 a month working remotely in Murcia.

I think it's just an issue of blue collar workers vs white collar vs white collar. Nothing new or shocking to be honest, the article is a bit blown out of proportion I feel.

If you're a junior you won't really get anything explosive, unless you're in a needed core profession, law, IT, health, banking.

We had a 16 year old join us on a 23,500E salary with a basic IT CCENT qualification, after 6 months of experience and completing the other half of the CCNA qualification, he is now on 30,650E, and it's only set to rise every qualification he gets on top of that.

Last edited by breakfasttea; Jan 7th 2020 at 8:26 am.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breakfasttea
I think it's all relative.

I am a Service Desk Manager and earn 5,500 a month working remotely in Murcia.

I think it's just an issue of blue collar workers vs white collar vs white collar. Nothing new or shocking to be honest, the article is a bit blown out of proportion I feel.

If you're a junior you won't really get anything explosive, unless you're in a needed core profession, law, IT, health, banking.

We had a 16 year old join us on a 20,000E with a basic IT CCENT qualification, after 6 months of experience and completing the other half of the CCNA qualification, he is now on 26,000E, and it's only set to rise every qualification he gets on top of that.
That is very rare though and the reality is very different. If you're earning 5,500 a month as a Service Desk Manager, so 100K a year you belong to the top wealthiest percentage in Spain, or even in Europe. Even doctors & IT professionals in other European countries don't earn what you earn.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Am I missing something, €5,500 a month is €66,00 a year not 100K
Old Jan 10th 2020, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Am I missing something, €5,500 a month is €66,00 a year not 100K
If taking home €5,500 a month, it's 100K Gross.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 10th 2020 at 6:48 am.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 9:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
That is very rare though and the reality is very different. If you're earning 5,500 a month as a Service Desk Manager, so 100K a year you belong to the top wealthiest percentage in Spain, or even in Europe. Even doctors & IT professionals in other European countries don't earn what you earn.
As he is a autónomo (early 2019 post) , he must have a very impressive customer base ;-) or perhaps he could just be exaggerating a bit
From his posts he is one of the people that think Spain is perfect and all Spaniards are super nice
Old Jan 10th 2020, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Opinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond repute

Why would someone exaggerate on a forum? Having a six figure income isn't that crazy if you're smart and/or willing to work hard. I paid myself £107k last year and this year will be closer to £120k.

It does kill me when people earning £18k a year working in Paperchase think they can up sticks and move to another country for a better life. Madness, but this forum is full of them.
​​​
Old Jan 11th 2020, 8:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Opinion
Why would someone exaggerate on a forum? Having a six figure income isn't that crazy if you're smart and/or willing to work hard. I paid myself £107k last year and this year will be closer to £120k.

It does kill me when people earning £18k a year working in Paperchase think they can up sticks and move to another country for a better life. Madness, but this forum is full of them.
​​​
I actually can't believe that you typed the words I've bolded, anyone who boasts of their salary on the web, in my opinion they are lying or exaggerating, to sum up I think you're telling porkies.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mfh
I actually can't believe that you typed the words I've bolded, anyone who boasts of their salary on the web, in my opinion they are lying or exaggerating, to sum up I think you're telling porkies.
Yes and it is very selfish to say something like that. A lot of people in Spain and other countries work hard and will never earn these amounts and to say they are not smart is horrible. The poster with 5,500€ was on 32k after overtime in London 2 years ago, so should know how it is and maybe also forgot to pay tax in Spain, or is extremely lucky.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 11:47 am
Account Closed

so the guy supposedly taking home over 5,500 € a month in Murcia posted this exactly one year ago (January 2019)!
​​​​​​'I am a British citizen born and bred. I earn over £30,000 per annum (not including annual bonuses).'

I really don't understand why people exaggerate their salaries on public forums, do they think it makes them look MORE important than
the average worker
I'm not gonna comment at all on the 'Born and Bred' bit
Old Jan 11th 2020, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

I wish i earned 5500 a month.. I'd even take the 32k.. Come to think of it, i would take half! I would be happy with 16k !!!

Ive worked 9 years in the same company, and never had a pay rise. This year, my hourly rate actually went down...

Last edited by bfg69bug; Jan 11th 2020 at 3:15 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Opinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
I wish i earned 5500 a month.. I'd even take the 32k.. Come to think of it, i would take half! I would be happy with 16k !!!

Ive worked 9 years in the same company, and never had a pay rise. This year, my hourly rate actually went down...
You haven't had a pay rise in 9 years? Not even in line with inflation? That's crazy. Why haven't you pushed for a pay rise / promotion or jumped ship?

I don't mean to sound rude but how do you survive earning less than €16k a year?
Old Jan 11th 2020, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mfh
​​​Sorry, I should have clarified that- why would anyone exaggerate their income on an expat forum? It's not a business forum, not a car enthusiast forum etc. where it can sometimes become a big **** contest.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

breakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Yes and it is very selfish to say something like that. A lot of people in Spain and other countries work hard and will never earn these amounts and to say they are not smart is horrible. The poster with 5,500€ was on 32k after overtime in London 2 years ago, so should know how it is and maybe also forgot to pay tax in Spain, or is extremely lucky.
My company is one of the leading global Managed Service Providers, and I’ve been fortunate to have pay rises and bonuses without fail every year for the last 6 years. <snip>

How am I in spain? My wife is battling cancer and due to these reasons I had to leave London to support her in Spain during her treatment. My company did not wish to let me go, so allowed me to work remotely. My then boss found his dream job and having worked alongside him for the last 6 years, and my company winning business in Spain with BBVA, I was in a good position to take his role and lead the support and refresh project in person. I think it’s as much luck to be right person in right place as it is who you know rather than what.

Along with bonuses and management incentives, thanks to Brexit and my now accountant my take home is €5500 a month.

im 40 years old and doing quite well in my career, if you want to professionally LinkIn with me just message.

London is quite unique in its salary offerings, my younger brother is a NEID (non exec independent director) for a private American legal firm in Mayfair and with overtime he takes home £15,000 a month. I still think this article is relative to what you do and where you do it. I’ve always pushed for pay rises and got them. If it’s not working for the article subject she should look further afield in my honest opinion.

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 12th 2020 at 7:23 am. Reason: advert aspect removed