Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

shipment of goods is it worth it.

shipment of goods is it worth it.

Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

the sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to all
Default shipment of goods is it worth it.

Hi,
I was looking at how much it cost's to ship items over, and was wondering if everyone has done that or just sold the lot in the UK and bought new.

My friend was telling me that she paid a lot to ship things over then we she got out there the cooker, fridge , and washing machine packed up if she knew that she would of just bought new there.

Do you think it is worth paying for stuff to be spent out or worth buying new.

To be fair apart from my t.vs and computer my furniture is not worth a great deal second hand.

Great to hear some input on this
Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:46 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipment of goods is it worth it.

Originally Posted by the sun is shining
Hi,
I was looking at how much it cost's to ship items over, and was wondering if everyone has done that or just sold the lot in the UK and bought new.

My friend was telling me that she paid a lot to ship things over then we she got out there the cooker, fridge , and washing machine packed up if she knew that she would of just bought new there.

Do you think it is worth paying for stuff to be spent out or worth buying new.

To be fair apart from my t.vs and computer my furniture is not worth a great deal second hand.

Great to hear some input on this
Thanks
The sound doesn't work properly on some TV's. I've heard it said that washing machine boards blow because of the voltage, but ours has been there for 2 years an its OK. My house keeper has had hers there for 6 years and no problem.

You can go onto the Costa Blanca News online and find people who will ship stuff over for you for about £90 per cubic meter.

Personally, we're just shipping our "personal" stuff and selling / getting rid of the rest. Don't think our english style furniture would look right in a spanish villa setting
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

T.v's, only if less than 5 years old, otherwise may not be compatible (if they have an international language set up routine, then you may be ok), otherwise the sound is unlikely to work. Furniture, depends on the age. You have to weigh up the cost of shipping against the value(ie 10 year old beds or sofas). New stuff is cheap here compared to the UK. Shipping, find someone who does part loads. You should be able to rent crates on a lorry that measure 9foot by 9 by 9 for about £500 door to door. Amazing what you can fit into that, probably half a house!
Hope this helps
Regards
Tim
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

the sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The sound doesn't work properly on some TV's. I've heard it said that washing machine boards blow because of the voltage, but ours has been there for 2 years an its OK. My house keeper has had hers there for 6 years and no problem.

You can go onto the Costa Blanca News online and find people who will ship stuff over for you for about £90 per cubic meter.

Personally, we're just shipping our "personal" stuff and selling / getting rid of the rest. Don't think our english style furniture would look right in a spanish villa setting
Hi,
Thats what we thought and to be fair it's an excuse to get rid of years of rubbish and tat, and to buy new stuff.

We have just bought a new t.v thats why i dont really want to get rid of it, and my pc is only a few months old but the rest is not old but i dont think i can spend loads on shipping it over when i can buy it new
Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:27 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the sun is shining
Hi,
Thats what we thought and to be fair it's an excuse to get rid of years of rubbish and tat, and to buy new stuff.

We have just bought a new t.v thats why i dont really want to get rid of it, and my pc is only a few months old but the rest is not old but i dont think i can spend loads on shipping it over when i can buy it new
We paid just under 2500 pounds to have our stuff shipped over. Most of it was personal effects, but a few non electrical items of furniture too. I think it is a waste of time bringing fridge, washing machine, cooker, microwave, etc. And if you're not too in love with your furniture forget that too. But we found we had too many personal effects to be able to avoid shipping stuff over so we had to pay. I sold my PC and bought a new one in Spain - of course it is all in Spanish which you may not like.