Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Shared Ownership schemes

Shared Ownership schemes

Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:04 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shared Ownership schemes

I know this is probably a bit high brow for you lot, but has anyone got any knowledge of these for property purchase, i.e. are they a good thing or do you eventually get screwed over by the housing company.

My daughters flat mate has decided to do a bunk, so I have to find somewhere for her to live as she cant afford the rent on her own
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:07 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shared Ownership schemes

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I know this is probably a bit high brow for you lot,
and if you think you are getting an easy run today after that comment think again!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Like most things in the housing market, all is fine unless or until the market goes mammaries vertical as happened in the early 90's. I know of people who were in these schemes, then the market crashed, and they were unable to sell unless they repaid the whole of the outstanding debt, including that of the housing association.
The small print really needs to be studied very thoroughly.
Regards
Tim
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:28 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Like most things in the housing market, all is fine unless or until the market goes mammaries vertical as happened in the early 90's. I know of people who were in these schemes, then the market crashed, and they were unable to sell unless they repaid the whole of the outstanding debt, including that of the housing association.
Regards
Tim
There wouldn't be an outstanding debt from our side as no mortgage involved ...... what do you mean though, paying the outstanding debt of the housing association? That would be their responsibility surely as a separate entity.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:31 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is probably a bit high brow for you lot, but has anyone got any knowledge of these for property purchase, i.e. are they a good thing or do you eventually get screwed over by the housing company.

My daughters flat mate has decided to do a bunk, so I have to find somewhere for her to live as she cant afford the rent on her own
I'm not sure if there are 'private' shared ownership schemes but I remember talking to a friend about it a couple of years ago as he has been on the waiting list for FOUR years and still not been offered anything suitable.

Apparently if you arn't considered a 'key worker' then you go right to the bottom of the pile and also need to earn(income) of about 25k a year and no more to be able to get on the lists, at least in London you did.

Typical UK really, the only property he got offered in that four year period was a tiny massively overpriced flat right next to Tooting Broadway station and his share would have cost him 75k!!!

OUTRAGEOUS Tell the daughter to move to Spain as I shudder to think what the country will be like in another 20 years time!

Last edited by zel; Mar 25th 2008 at 9:38 am.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:33 am
zel

There wouldn't be an outstanding debt from our side as no mortgage involved ...... what do you mean though, paying the outstanding debt of the housing association? That would be their responsibility surely as a separate entity.
Correct 'you' would only be liable for your share of the property (normally starts at 25%)

So if the property originally cost £200,000 and 25% would be £50,000 if in five years the property was worth £100,000 then your share would be worth only £25,000.

etc!

Last edited by zel; Mar 25th 2008 at 9:35 am.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:48 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Im suprised your up so early with all the hard work you did last night
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:49 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Tim
Morning chick - how are you???
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:51 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Morning chick - how are you???
You will be in trouble again for hijacking this thread
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Correct 'you' would only be liable for your share of the property (normally starts at 25%)

So if the property originally cost £200,000 and 25% would be £50,000 if in five years the property was worth £100,000 then your share would be worth only £25,000.

etc!
I know of two people who were in this situation, at the time that they wanted "out" as it were, the properties were worth less than the mortgages and the original value.
In both cases, they had to shoulder not only their own loss but that of the housing association as well before they were allowed to either sell on their share or sell it back to the housing association.
The reason this sticks in my mind so vividly is that at the time I was trying to sell a property that had been bought with my then partner, who had subsequently "done a bunk" leaving me to bear the mortgage costs. The property was worth less than the outstanding mortgage (to the tune of 50% less!), and I assumed that had there been a profit instead of a loss, it would have to be shared, the same would be true of a loss. i was clobbered for the lot, and was surprised to find it was the same with my friends in the joint ownership schemes.
Maybe things have changed now?
Regards
Tim
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:53 am
Happy in my bubble

Originally Posted by Same Difference
You will be in trouble again for hijacking this thread
No im being good today
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:17 am
zel

No idea mate, tho I do know there are penalties if you want/need to sell within a time frame (3 or 5 years from memory)

Maybe that was the case? Seems outrageous that one would have to pay the fall in value of the shared ownership scheme too...

I've just remembered who the person my friend used was "The Notting Hill Trust" they cover a vast area of England, not just Notting Hill

I know of two people who were in this situation, at the time that they wanted "out" as it were, the properties were worth less than the mortgages and the original value.
In both cases, they had to shoulder not only their own loss but that of the housing association as well before they were allowed to either sell on their share or sell it back to the housing association.
The reason this sticks in my mind so vividly is that at the time I was trying to sell a property that had been bought with my then partner, who had subsequently "done a bunk" leaving me to bear the mortgage costs. The property was worth less than the outstanding mortgage (to the tune of 50% less!), and I assumed that had there been a profit instead of a loss, it would have to be shared, the same would be true of a loss. i was clobbered for the lot, and was surprised to find it was the same with my friends in the joint ownership schemes.
Maybe things have changed now?
Regards
Tim
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:36 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

We have been looking at this scheme for our daughter as well, but decided against it in the end the main reason for this was on top of the mortgage repayment of £525 per month, for a two bedroom apartment there was an added rent of £275 per month plus £99.00 per month maintanence charge, then there was the yearly payment for ground rates another £90. Thought this was a lot to pay out every month before living costs were added, and at the end of the day she would only own between 25-35% of the property.

My daughter being under 30 years of age had managed to secure a mortgage over 35 years which meant she could borrow a greater amount, which now means she can look at something that she will own 100%.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:27 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by crispy
We have been looking at this scheme for our daughter as well, but decided against it in the end the main reason for this was on top of the mortgage repayment of £525 per month, for a two bedroom apartment there was an added rent of £275 per month plus £99.00 per month maintanence charge, then there was the yearly payment for ground rates another £90. Thought this was a lot to pay out every month before living costs were added, and at the end of the day she would only own between 25-35% of the property.

My daughter being under 30 years of age had managed to secure a mortgage over 35 years which meant she could borrow a greater amount, which now means she can look at something that she will own 100%.
Thanks Crispy
This is £220 a month inc maintenance & ground rent with no mortgage, option to buy after 2 years
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:33 pm
Senior Moment

Great, we thought we were going to get some notice .... but she has now decided she is leaving on Friday which drops us well and truly in it ...... I suspect I'm going back to the UK for a while

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.