Septic Tanks

Old Sep 21st 2005, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Septic Tanks

Hello All,
I am trying to find out about the care of waste products and septic tanks, I have heard so many stories about the care and upkeep of these and I would like to know how to take care of mine. I dont have a clue as to the care and upkeep of them.

My Septic Tank is about 10 years old it was here when I came and my friend next door tells me it is made from Breeze Blocks, and not to put Olive Oil, toilet paper, or detergents down it, as this will block the leaching of it,and other stuff that will kill the biophere life or something like that.

I have been told that a product called Fossit sepcita (I think) should be put down the toilet at least once a month, So I know that some of you more experianced in these matters will tell me what and how these work, or even a really good web site (I have tried looking on the net for information about them but with no luck) at least.

Thank you all.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Default Re: Septic Tanks

Hi there!
I posted some time ago regarding septic tanks.....and was told about the product you mentioned. I did ask at my local fereteria but they didn't stock anything. I have since found a site that is quite helpful:
www.sepclean.co.uk

Our septic tank is huge, above the ground level but on a lower terrace to the house, made of concrete like a big bunker.... and smelly! The smell was coming back to the kitchen and I am quite (worryingly) obsessed with its workings......Last time we were over there I was convinced we had a blockage in the pipes leading to the tank as the waste has to travel so far to the tank. (There is a massive vine outside the kithen and I'm certain the roots may have damaged the pipework.) I spent ages flushing water and running down the garden to the tank waiting for it to appear (how sad is that?)....ours has a lift off lid and a sluice gate. I assume the sluice opening is to enable it to be emptied if need be and not for the contents to be allowed to run down the irrigatrion channels next to it???????? I really think the best thing we can do is to have a modern one sunk nearer the house (but not too near) and have the pipes relaid when we have work done on the house. I thought about buying the product Sepclean and giving it a go to see if it improved matters. I have also been more careful with other products for the bath room and cleaning, and now only use septic tank friendly stuff. We don't use loads of toilet paper and only use white easily degradeable paper.
Sorry I'm not much help.......but I feel reasurred that I'm not alone with a dodgy sepic tank,
Mary
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Hi Again,
Well I have found a product called "WC Net" "Fosas Septicas" which I have bought from Carrefore it cost about 7:50 euros. It says to put one bag complete in the toilet and is enough for three months.

WC NET Fosas Septicas

The WC NET product that is an expert in septic tanks! Used regularly, it improves the performance of your septic tank - ensuring that there will be no bad odours and making the need for mechanical pumping out a far less frequent occurrence.

WWC NET Septic Tanks is a powder bio-formulation which comes packed in convenient single-dose bags.

It calls on the enzymes being produced through the metabolism of its main active ingredients - strains of selectively adapted bacteria. Together with specific adjuvant minerals, these scientifically developed bacteria promote waste decomposition and the liquefaction process taking place in the septic tank. And it is this combined process - waste decomposition and the liquefaction of solid compounds - that enables sewerage effluents to be purified in your septic tank.

Bags are made out of water-soluble material. They have been specially developed so that the selectively adapted bacteria in WC NET Septic Tanks can reach your septic tank intact. They then find themselves in ideal conditions to fulfil their purpose.

WC NET Septic Tanks is by far the most appropriate - and the cheapest - solution to all those unpleasant and annoying problems that can beset you with a malfunctioning septic tank.

At a moderate cost, and without any effort on your part, a great many advantages are yours:
No unpleasant odours emanating from your septic tank or drains.
Your septic tank lasts longer.
You no longer have the expense of pumping out at such frequent intervals.
You avoid the disaster of sewage leaks that could occur in the case of a clogged septic tank - including all the additional expense of land reclamation.

This product comes in convenient single-dose ready-to-use bags. These are contained in a 12-piece box, specially streamlined to save space. One box is sufficient for three months' treatment.

You need have no worries on the grounds of health or about the dangers of clogged pipes. These bags are made out of water-soluble non-toxic material. It is a product with biological ingredients and does not threaten the environment.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 10:00 am
Just Joined

SOUXIE101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by countryboy
Hello All,
I am trying to find out about the care of waste products and septic tanks, I have heard so many stories about the care and upkeep of these and I would like to know how to take care of mine. I dont have a clue as to the care and upkeep of them.

My Septic Tank is about 10 years old it was here when I came and my friend next door tells me it is made from Breeze Blocks, and not to put Olive Oil, toilet paper, or detergents down it, as this will block the leaching of it,and other stuff that will kill the biophere life or something like that.

I have been told that a product called Fossit sepcita (I think) should be put down the toilet at least once a month, So I know that some of you more experianced in these matters will tell me what and how these work, or even a really good web site (I have tried looking on the net for information about them but with no luck) at least.

Thank you all.
You need to try and find out if the tank is split up into sections inside. Ours is split and we have a separate section for the waste water that comes from the washing machine as the deterdents used for washing ie soap powder would stop the natural breakdown of the other matter ! Also does the waste water go to ground inside the pit or is the pit lined at the bottom with metal as some of the older ones are. We also have one like that - it is split into 3 sections, there are 3 separate drain covers that you can inspect, but the bottom is metal and so every so often we have to get it sucked out - YUK
WC NET is about the best to put down - you just stick it down the loo and it does help with the breakdown of materials etc. But dont use bleach etc. When they start a cess pit off the Spanish use a dead animal to set off the process ie a cat, or bird. How could they? It sounds as though you may need to put another pit in somewhere if you can. Hope this is of some help
Old Nov 11th 2005, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

http://www.biodigester.com.es

I found this site in our local free newsletter last month:
Here is the quote I recieved.

Biodigester T6 1 2.619€

Biodigester T12 1 3.273

Prices quoted exclude vat
Please note the following
The price quoted is for the standard inlet drain depth of 600mm
The price quoted includes all equipment necessary for the operation of the plant.
Payment terms: 1.000 Euros per deposit with order (bank transfer)
balance on delivery (bank transfer)

Bank: Barclays, Pº Bonanova, 94, of. 9, 08017 Barcelona

c.c. 0065-0127-83-0001021770
Warranty: 2 years
Validity: 30days
Prices do not include the cost of delivery.
Prices do not include the cost of offloading on site, installation and related building works.
Prices do not include the cost of commissioning.
It is the responsibility of the purchaser to obtain the appropriate regulatory permissions
Delivery is normally within 4 weeks of order. This may vary dependant on stock and workload.
Extras available
Effluent pumping stations Integrated 750€ for T6 / T12 / T18 Biodigesters
external 875€ upwards

Where gravity drainage is not possible or there is a high water table, it may be necessary to incorporate a pumping station with the system. These can be integrated or provided externally. External pumping systems will require further information and will be quoted accordingly.

'It is the responsibility of the purchaser to obtain the appropriate regulatory permissions'

What does this mean? We are on the outskirts of the town and and have no mains sewerage connection.....is this going to be a nerve racking half hour at the local ayuntamiento trying to make my very basic Spanish understood?

Last edited by maryg; Nov 11th 2005 at 11:27 am.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

SOUXIE101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maryg
http://www.biodigester.com.es

I found this site in our local free newsletter last month:
Here is the quote I recieved.

Biodigester T6 1 2.619€

Biodigester T12 1 3.273

Prices quoted exclude vat
Please note the following
The price quoted is for the standard inlet drain depth of 600mm
The price quoted includes all equipment necessary for the operation of the plant.
Payment terms: 1.000 Euros per deposit with order (bank transfer)
balance on delivery (bank transfer)

Bank: Barclays, Pº Bonanova, 94, of. 9, 08017 Barcelona

c.c. 0065-0127-83-0001021770
Warranty: 2 years
Validity: 30days
Prices do not include the cost of delivery.
Prices do not include the cost of offloading on site, installation and related building works.
Prices do not include the cost of commissioning.
It is the responsibility of the purchaser to obtain the appropriate regulatory permissions
Delivery is normally within 4 weeks of order. This may vary dependant on stock and workload.
Extras available
Effluent pumping stations Integrated 750€ for T6 / T12 / T18 Biodigesters
external 875€ upwards

Where gravity drainage is not possible or there is a high water table, it may be necessary to incorporate a pumping station with the system. These can be integrated or provided externally. External pumping systems will require further information and will be quoted accordingly.

'It is the responsibility of the purchaser to obtain the appropriate regulatory permissions'

What does this mean? We are on the outskirts of the town and and have no mains sewerage connection.....is this going to be a nerve racking half hour at the local ayuntamiento trying to make my very basic Spanish understood?
Send me an email and let me know where you live, do you have problems with the water table etc ?
Personally speaking I would find someone else to do the installation, a local builder that you can TRUST,and someone that you can understand and talk to. Its telling you that you must get building permission for the pit, in which case I would go to a Solicitor and ask advice, which we did, and she did all the neccesary work and it didnt cost a fortune. Email me anyway
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Here is a post that I did after some research it is on these fourms

Default All you wanted to know about Septic Tanks

In the end I built my own Septic Tank with a little help from my friends.