Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sending parcels from UK

Sending parcels from UK

Old Mar 7th 2021, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

softlad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sending parcels from UK

I've a place in Madrid and need to have some parcels of various different weights and sizes posting to me. Generally speaking which company is the cheapest to use for sending parcels from UK to Spain. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 8th 2021, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending parcels from UK

I´ve used a company called "ecoparcel" for years. Parcel Delivery & Courier Services | Send a Parcel | Cheap Delivery | Ecoparcel

I wouldn´t send anything "expensive" or "valuable" with them. It used to be hard to contact them but they are much better now.

I´m not affiliated, its just a recomendation.

(When brexit happened they stopped sending stuff uk to spain, but spain - uk is showing now. )

Old Mar 8th 2021, 7:38 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
I´ve used a company called "ecoparcel" for years. Parcel Delivery & Courier Services | Send a Parcel | Cheap Delivery | Ecoparcel

I wouldn´t send anything "expensive" or "valuable" with them. It used to be hard to contact them but they are much better now.

I´m not affiliated, its just a recomendation.

(When brexit happened they stopped sending stuff uk to spain, but spain - uk is showing now. )
I have also used them for several years. I just checked and Spain to UK is still coming up with unavailable.

Rosemary
Old Mar 8th 2021, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

There many problems with additional Duty charges being made
Old Mar 8th 2021, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guesswork
There many problems with additional Duty charges being made
Personally Ive given up getting stuff from the UK until everyone sorts themselves out.

I run a small business and have stopped shipping to the Uk for now.
It seems to be a very hit and miss thing as well. I was quoted anything from £10.00 to £40.00 extra by a couple of Uk shippers for a simple package, and they both then said I would be responsible for any import and customs charges.
Cant afford to take that much of a hit.

So to the OP, unless its of serious personal attachment to you. I would look to see if you can get the same goods supplied from EU or even US suppliers. I have found most of what I need from alternatives.
Anything I can't do without, well family will have to try and bring it out in their luggage when they are allowed to visit.

Old Mar 8th 2021, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Try using parcel2go.com. Input package size and weight they will then give you a whole host of companies and prices for you to choose from. Seem to quote for all the major couriers and different speed services.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 11:36 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

I have used DPD many times to post parcels up to 30kg from UK to Spain. I cannot remember the dimensions but the parcels were huge. It only cost 15 pounds. But Brexit has changed all that. I think DPD pulled their services in Jan as their was a pile of hassle with new customs checks/paperwork/VAT charges etc. Also you pay on the value of the parcel and the cost of transportation. just had a quick look on the parcel2go.com website and the next best option seems to be 'Parcelforce Worldwide - Euro Economy Drop Shop'. I ran a ebay business when I lived in the UK so was well versed with the postage options and which were most competitive. I still have lots of personal possessions in the UK that I had planned to post to myself in Spain, but the changes due to Brexit will mean I will have to pay something like 25% + of the value of the items I now post myself. Also I am now having to try to locate receipts or invoices for the items I want to post myself as the value has to be declared for each item.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

27th Feb I ordered some items from amazon UK. £75 for the items and £25 shipping. They arrived yesterday. No customs hassle or vat/duty to be paid. Pretty much the same as pre-brexit. Lucky i guess..
Old Mar 11th 2021, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

£25 shipping for £75 goods seems rather a lot.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mustard
£25 shipping for £75 goods seems rather a lot.
Not really as i was previously (pre brexit) paying over £16 to get a similar package sent by Parcelforce from my daughter.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 9:01 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Hold your horses!

That’s a 56% increase in cost of shipping.

Also, in terms of cost of postage versus value of goods, it has gone from 21% to 33%.

Did you daughter have to have to add a customs form to the package?

But good to hear everything went smoothly!

Last edited by agree_to_disagree; Mar 12th 2021 at 9:32 am.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Hold your horses!

Also, in terms of cost of postage versus value of goods, it has gone from 21% to 33%.

My son sold a trading card on eBay this week and sent it from the Uk to France signed and tracked international and the price was the same as things he sent before Christmas.
He put a customs form on but I don't know if the recipient will have to pay import and customs charges (my son had already said he was not responsible for these) as he had to items going to Canada and the States previously.
So for him nothing has changed.

I think its still a question of many people not knowing what they are supposed to do. (or even if there has been full instructions available)
I deal with a couple of import/export companies (very small ones) and neither are shipping to the EU at the moment and one said he is having paperwork issues with stuff to and from the US (I think the new VAT rules imposed by the Uk is worldwide not just a Brexit issue)
But I could be wrong and have not investigated this side yet.

Old Mar 12th 2021, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Hold your horses!

But good to hear everything went smoothly!
Increase, not necessarily. The items are still way way cheaper than buying in spain. This one didn't involve my daughter, ordered from amazon uk and shipped straight here.

However you can't directly compare the two postage charges as normally i ship with parcelforce, this one came via hermes. Possibly not a similar service. If you use parcel2go.com or similar you will see prices ranging from a tenner to over £50 for the same package uk to spain depending on service level, eg eco, 48hours, next day, drop off, collect etc.

Given all the horror stories of people's parcels getting stuck in customs I'm just pleased they arrived.

Old Mar 12th 2021, 12:22 pm
Banned

"Not really as i was previously (pre brexit) paying over £16 to get a similar package sent by Parcelforce from my daughter."

Bob, from you statement quoted above, it was fair to assume you were comparing apples with apples...

For the moment, I will avoid arranging to have any parcels sent from to Spain from the UK.

This week I bought some English ceramics online which were manufactured about 1840.

I had them shipped to a UK address.

Their value runs into a few hundred quid.

I am hoping to learn from other the best way to get items like these into Spain and avoid paying additional charges...
Old Mar 12th 2021, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

"Not really as i was previously (pre brexit) paying over £16 to get a similar package sent by Parcelforce from my daughter."

Bob, from you statement quoted above, it was fair to assume you were comparing apples with apples...

For the moment, I will avoid arranging to have any parcels sent from to Spain from the UK.

This week I bought some English ceramics online which were manufactured about 1840.

I had them shipped to a UK address.

Their value runs into a few hundred quid.

I am hoping to learn from other the best way to get items like these into Spain and avoid paying additional charges...
Certainly a reasonable assumption, but i don't know exactly which service amazon would use. So i couldn't say for sure whether it wss a faster service, more expensive company etc. I'd rather pay £16.😁. Ordering from amazon.uk delivery direct to spain was a bit of an exoeriment to see if parcels got through the broken system ok.

Shipping to spain from amazon uk for those products they will ship is expensive. Last yesr i bought a bag of 1000 yorkshire teabags from amazon uk. Postage then was £17, just checked and it still is for the same item. At the end of the day including postage it is still way cheaper than buying in Spain so I'm happy to swallow it.

Normally i would get them, and other stuff sent to my daughter postage free then get her to ship them over. In fact have a bunch waiting at her place, but i plan to hang back for a while until the situation normalises.

Last edited by bob_day; Mar 12th 2021 at 1:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.