Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Seguridad social & Higher level... what are the benefits?

Seguridad social & Higher level... what are the benefits?

Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seguridad social & Higher level... what are the benefits?

I've been paying my social security as an 'Autonomo' for about 8 months now at the rate of 270 a month. I've just collected my temporary Tarjeta de salud and now I get 60% off my medicines. I know I can also get a tooth pulled free but have to pay for any other dental treatment.
Can anyone tell me what else I'm covered for at this level...and what would happen if I got ill. I'm worried because my husband is unemployed at present and we're struggling a bit. Hopefully I'll stay fit and well and able to work forever! But a recent bout of Arthritis has worried me. If I had a sudden serious illness Would everything come tumbling down around us? or is there sickness benefit to ease the immediate problems? And would I be fully covered for hospital visits/stays?
I also know that there is a higher level of payments.
What would that be/cover for? Seeing as things are tight already I don't think I can find more but I am worrying.
I know I could trawl the internet for this information but if anyone can short-cut my search for me I'd be grateful.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seguridad social & Higher level... what are the benefits?

As autonomo you are entitled to free Spanish health treatment - just like for the UK NHS.

You can also get maternity benefit and you will be contributing to your Spanish pension month on month.

You are not entitled to unemployment benefits and as far as I know you wont get sickness benefit either.

Just to mention the autonomo social security payment isnt optional, you have to pay it as long as you are self-employed and working. You can pay at higher levels if you want a higher pension when you retire.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

As autonoma you are entitled to precious little.

Certainly not enough to see you through a crisis.

You and your husband are covered for health care.

The higher amounts only give you a larger state pension.

Take a look at the social security website........ a lot of it is now in English www.seg-social.es
Old Nov 19th 2010, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
As autonoma you are entitled to precious little.

Certainly not enough to see you through a crisis.

You and your husband are covered for health care.

The higher amounts only give you a larger state pension.

Take a look at the social security website........ a lot of it is now in English www.seg-social.es
Yes, That's as I feared. Thanks for the information anyway:-)
Just have to brace, stay well and keep working won't I?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:32 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

gOOD NEWS FOR THE SELF EMPLOYED

http://revista.consumer.es/web/es/20...tica/67868.php

Nice one eh?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JLFS
gOOD NEWS FOR THE SELF EMPLOYED

http://revista.consumer.es/web/es/20...tica/67868.php

Nice one eh?
Thanks for this.
Sounds like a step in the right direction.
Still not sure I understand it. I do read and understand standard Spanish... But as son as you get onto 'base', and 'cotizacion' and anything to do with maths.... I'm lost!
And what is this thing about opting in ...but only after waiting 3 years???
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all

You would also be entitled to sickness benefit but you must declare work you've done in the UK.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DWPinSpain
You would also be entitled to sickness benefit but you must declare work you've done in the UK.
Thanks for the information. Do I take it from your user name that you are the Department of Work and Pensions?
It was good to see you guys at one of the 'place in the sun' exhibitions giving good advice to people with stars (or the sun) in their eyes!
BTW does attending an exhibition showing my work (made in Spain) in England, count as work in England?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:57 am
Just Joined

robinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

HI
Im also self employed and have been for 7 years now. I spoke with My gestor the other day with regards the new Ley del autonomos but it appears it isnt all it cracks up to be.
It isnt coming directly from segurdiad social but more like a form of insurance. with regards the unemployment benefit, you have to pay in for 12 months before you get any entitlement, and then they will only pay out for two months. The extra cost is about 50 euros a month. I guess if you become unemployed after the 12 month sis up you will be ok, but if not it could cost a lot of money.
Also that would mean paying a total of 300 euros per month for the pleasure of being self employed, OUCH......
Rob
Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robinspain
HI
Im also self employed and have been for 7 years now. I spoke with My gestor the other day with regards the new Ley del autonomos but it appears it isnt all it cracks up to be.
It isnt coming directly from segurdiad social but more like a form of insurance. with regards the unemployment benefit, you have to pay in for 12 months before you get any entitlement, and then they will only pay out for two months. The extra cost is about 50 euros a month. I guess if you become unemployed after the 12 month sis up you will be ok, but if not it could cost a lot of money.
Also that would mean paying a total of 300 euros per month for the pleasure of being self employed, OUCH......
Rob
Yes. When I signed up they made me pick an affiliate company from a list. I had no idea who was who and what they did so I just plonked my finger of Fremap because I have a Mapfre in my village and supposed them to be a pensions/insurance branch of the same company.
That extra 50 euros sounds tough. That would be 321 for me!
So, an extra 50 euros a month adds up to 600 euros in a year. If they then would only pay out a maximum of 2 months in any one year, you're better off putting the money (if you have any) in your bank and paying yourself the unemployment benefit. After 2 years you can afford to pay yourself 600 a month for 2 months. or if well, save yourself 1200. Not to be sniffed at! If you stay in business, that is. It's more likely that if you find yourself without work for 2 or 3 months you'd be out of business anyway! I'd just go and work somewhere else or teach English. I was more interested finding out about sickness/disability rights. With sickness and/or disability you haven't the option of 'getting on your bike' and looking for a different source of income.

Maybe DWPinspain will get back to us for a clearer picture.