Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Seeking Sorbas School Information

Seeking Sorbas School Information

Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

carole y phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seeking Sorbas School Information

Hi, we are a large family (with 4 children) looking to move to Spain later this year. We would love to hear from anyone that has experience of the high school in Sorbas, Almeria. It's called 'Rio Aguas' and we believe it takes children from 12 - 18 years.
We love the area around there but obviously knowing that the children would have good support as they settle into spanish school is very important to us, and something we'd like to hear about before we commit to buying a house in the area.
Any comments, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Carole & Phil.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:06 pm
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice
Default Re: Seeking Sorbas School Information

hi there we are in la mela not far from sorbas our children are all grown up know but we know familys who children go there. what ages are the children the younger they are they will settle better. our freinds say the schoolis very good have spoken to them they say it would be best to arrange a visit to the school and have a look around .
Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for getting in touch. The children are 12 (boy), 12 (boy), 14 (girl) & 16 (boy). Our 16 year old has just finished his GCSE's, one of which was spanish. Not the same as being there I know but it will be a start.
We did visit the school in April without the children and the staff were very friendly and said the joining wouldn't be a problem. We weren't offered a look around but it was the middle of the school day. They did say that there are other english children there and that everything will be fine but we know it is a massive part of their lives and want to be as sure as we can that they'll be happy. I guess we just want to hear the views of anybody who has experience of the school.
Do you think we could get some comments from your friends somehow - email or this forum perhaps?
Thanks again!
Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:34 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carole y phil
Thanks for getting in touch. The children are 12 (boy), 12 (boy), 14 (girl) & 16 (boy). Our 16 year old has just finished his GCSE's, one of which was spanish. Not the same as being there I know but it will be a start.
We did visit the school in April without the children and the staff were very friendly and said the joining wouldn't be a problem. We weren't offered a look around but it was the middle of the school day. They did say that there are other english children there and that everything will be fine but we know it is a massive part of their lives and want to be as sure as we can that they'll be happy. I guess we just want to hear the views of anybody who has experience of the school.
Do you think we could get some comments from your friends somehow - email or this forum perhaps?
Thanks again!
I assume you're not thinking that the 16 year old will be able to go to school?

it will be very hard for the 12 & 14 year olds - not impossible - but very hard

it is generally not recommended (by those with experience) to put children over the age of about 10 into the spanish system
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

hi,

its very difficult for children of that age to get on in school and settle if they dont already speak spanish.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

We appreciate that it can be difficult for children of a certain age to settle in this situation which is exactly why we are researching. Part of how they will get on will be down to the school and another part down to the child, as they are all different.
We are definately not rushing into it. Last year we were able to meet with a a head teacher in a school in Montefrio. At this particlur school he explained to us that each english child receives 1-1 spanish lessons until they know enough to participate well in lessons. Something which was backed up by one of the english parents we spoke with. This does sound rather exceptional and I'm sure it's not something many spanish schools offer. Naturally we wondered if this particular school in Sorbas ran any kind of program to accomodate new kids coming in with limited knowldge of spanish.
It would great to speak to somebody with children at this school as this experience will be invaluable.

To answer Lynnxa - well yes, we have been told that this school takes children/young adults from the age of 12 to 18. Do you know otherwise?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

We appreciate that it can be difficult for children of a certain age to settle in this situation which is exactly why we are researching. Part of how they will get on will be down to the school and another part down to the child, as they are all different.
We are definately not rushing into it. Last year we were able to meet with a a head teacher in a school in Montefrio. At this particlur school he explained to us that each english child receives 1-1 spanish lessons until they know enough to participate well in lessons. Something which was backed up by one of the english parents we spoke with. This does sound rather exceptional and I'm sure it's not something many spanish schools offer. Naturally we wondered if this particular school in Sorbas ran any kind of program to accomodate new kids coming in with limited knowldge of spanish.
It would great to speak to somebody with children at this school as this experience will be invaluable.

To answer Lynnxa - well yes, we have been told that this school takes children/young adults from the age of 12 to 18. Do you know otherwise?
As someone else said it will be very difficult for your kids to go to Spanish school at their age. The Spanish equivalent of GSCEs are at age 16 and A-levels at 17-18. Without having 100% fluent Spanish it will be almost impossible for your kids to pass these exams. Your 12 year old may be OK, but the 14-16 year olds imo will find it very hard going. Also, in Spain you have to pass each year or you get held back, this can be difficult emotionally.

It will take 1-2 years for someone to learn Spanish good to enough to understand the teacher and more for them to be fluent enough to even think about taking an exam. GCSE Spanish is an extrememly low level.

Another thing worth knowing is you cant even get a job as a shop assistent in Spain unless you have passed the equivalent of the Spanish GCSEs

Sorry not being able to give you a more positive answer!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
As someone else said it will be very difficult for your kids to go to Spanish school at their age. The Spanish equivalent of GSCEs are at age 16 and A-levels at 17-18. Without having 100% fluent Spanish it will be almost impossible for your kids to pass these exams. Your 12 year old may be OK, but the 14-16 year olds imo will find it very hard going. Also, in Spain you have to pass each year or you get held back, this can be difficult emotionally.

It will take 1-2 years for someone to learn Spanish good to enough to understand the teacher and more for them to be fluent enough to even think about taking an exam. GCSE Spanish is an extrememly low level.

Another thing worth knowing is you cant even get a job as a shop assistent in Spain unless you have passed the equivalent of the Spanish GCSEs

Sorry not being able to give you a more positive answer!
As cricketman says, although they take kids up to the age of 18, from 16 onwards they do bachillerato which more or less is the equivalent of A levels - some say it is of a higher level

I teach english, maths & spanish. I have this year been preparing a 16 year old for his GCSE maths & spanish. Cricketman is right - GCSE spanish is not a high level. I tried the mock paper out on my 9 year old - she would have achieved a good pass!

I have also been helping another 16 year old who was at spanish school with maths for her 'graduado' (graduation at 16). The level of maths is certainly more advanced in spanish schools than was required for the GCSE.

Last year I worked with a 16 year old spanish lad for his 'graduado' in english. The level of understanding of english grammar required was very high - from what I have heard, much higher than in the UK!

I can't comment on other subjects - but I'm sure you get my point.

Not all spanish kids reach the required level of grades to be accepted into bachi, much the same as not all british kids do in the UK for A levels, so, as cricketman says, it is unlikely that your 16 year old will reach a high enough level of spanish to be able to do this

Sorry it's not what you want to hear - perhaps your eldest would be better going to an International school for A levels, or maybe stay in the UK with family until he has finished - a lot do that.

For the younger ones it will be tough - but like I said before, not totally impossible. I do know some kids who have gone into the spanish system at 12 to 14 & coped, but I know many more who haven't, and their parents have either had to scrape the money together somehow for International school, or they've all packed up & gone back.

Worse than that, I know kids who have just been left to get on with it, been held back year after year & left at 16 with no qualifications at all - sometimes not even being able to speak spanish!

There is similar support at our instituto - special lessons in spanish until they can understand the teacher & participate in lessons - but understanding the teacher is a very long way from being able to pass exams!