Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Seeking gestor in Seville

Seeking gestor in Seville

Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

MikeQuigley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seeking gestor in Seville

My partner and I recently moved to Seville. We'll be here for a year and want to register our UK car on Spanish plates so as to be totally legal. Advice on various threads is to hire a gestor to guide us through the process. Other advice says, be careful, there are gestors who will fleece you. Has anyone got experience of a reliable gestor in Seville, with reasonable charges ?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of
Default Re: Seeking gestor in Seville

If you are intending to be in Spain for no more than one year, I just am wondering if it is all worth the hassle. I mean firstly you have to get the headlights changed and this is not cheap. (I assume), Then you need to go through all the hassle of having the car checked and passed through the iTV people. Well not a hassle but ....and there is more besides.
Understandable if you are going to stay in Spain for a long time but ...

If a short term stay and you can live with the public transport system and other transport plus the occasional hiring of a car, I just wonder.

It will be most interesting to read all the advice given on this forum.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

MikeQuigley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Nigel

In the past there has been much discussion in this forum on this topic, and I know that your line of argument has been advanced before. And it may well be that one can spend a year here and not get caught over registration. But it seems to me that a serious consideration is insurance. If you have an accident and the insurance company finds that you are in breach of Spanish law, they may be entitled to refuse your claim - and that is not a risk that I want to take !
Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Naturally the car must be insured and must have correct papers such as MOT if registered in UK. As I understand it (and I am NO expert) if you 'export' your car then you tell the UK Licensing people in Swansea about it and they pass details on to Spain. But in your case they will treat it as a Temporary Export as I assume that it is under 12 months.

Quote from http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022582

Taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months (temporary export)

If a UK registered vehicle is taken abroad temporarily, it remains subject to UK law. This means that you as the keeper, must by law make sure that the vehicle stays taxed while it’s overseas. Providing the vehicle has a current MOT certificate and insurance, you’ll be able to tax the vehicle.

Unquote

The UK Government state categorically that your car remains subject to UK Law so if you have to renew your MOT (assuming it needs an MOT) then this would need to be done by a Test in UK not Spain.

As for Insurance, I believe there are insurers who willingly provide cover for 12 months for European travel and not just for short trips.

Anyway, I am interested in the entire process involved for a temporary Export of a UK car to Spain for under 12 months.