Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Second hand in Spain

Second hand in Spain

Old Jan 11th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second hand in Spain

Originally Posted by Rotor
Protectionism , thats part of the reason Spain is in such a mess , self employed business people right up to international companies are often blocked or deterred from making a living/investing in new ventures, the Spanish just dont understand how free markets work or that free competion is best as the deadwood falls by the wayside.
I can't help thinking that 'free market' is what has made us all dead wood while China thrives. Unfair competition is bad fair competition is good. The unfair competition in the previous post was from the local traders who had the ear of the town hall. A second hand market doesn't squash the new trade. It can add to it bringing out of towners who will look around the area as well as the market.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I can't help thinking that 'free market' is what has made us all dead wood while China thrives. Unfair competition is bad fair competition is good. The unfair competition in the previous post was from the local traders who had the ear of the town hall. A second hand market doesn't squash the new trade. It can add to it bringing out of towners who will look around the area as well as the market.
Sure - but that is a discussion to be had with the correct business associations and local authorities in your area - to make the case for why a second hand market is good

Also, what are the rules regarding tax and social security? I dont think that selling second hand goods is exempt from this in Spain. Never mind the need for retail vendor permits and consumer rights protection etc

All this about rules favouring those who are friends of the ayuntamiento is partly true, but it is also democratic. The point is that you need to go and talk to (and make friends) with the right people, then they will listen. That is how any kind of business is done, particularly in Southern Spain - it is a people-led model. Not one based on black and white rules

That's why many British people feel excluded, as they are not able to communicate effectively or even know who the right people to talk to are - then perhaps some are missing the charm to put their case across persuasively
Old Jan 11th 2013, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Sure - but that is a discussion to be had with the correct business associations and local authorities in your area - to make the case for why a second hand market is good

Also, what are the rules regarding tax and social security? I dont think that selling second hand goods is exempt from this in Spain. Never mind the need for retail vendor permits and consumer rights protection etc

All this about rules favouring those who are friends of the ayuntamiento is partly true, but it is also democratic. The point is that you need to go and talk to (and make friends) with the right people, then they will listen. That is how any kind of business is done, particularly in Southern Spain - it is a people-led model. Not one based on black and white rules

That's why many British people feel excluded, as they are not able to communicate effectively or even know who the right people to talk to are - then perhaps some are missing the charm to put their case across persuasively

This is the big problem , rules should be black and white and you should be able to disagree with anyone/everyone in the town hall on a point with out fear of underhand retribution , "people -led" systems end up being corrupt from day one .UK small business`s have it easy in so much as it`s very easy to understand the system and get started, if a property has the right planning in place you can open your new business the same day of receiving the keys ,not several months later , if you are lucky.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

Of course I don't know what happened in that particular case. And I'm sure rules are bent for friends in council planning meetings in England just as well as in Spain. But it's not 'Democratic' as you say cman. I'm lucky that I do have a reasonably persuasive 'way' and I do have friends in high-ish places. I do speak the language, and I did get help with a problem of my own. Fairly and totally legally, but I admit extra effort was made. But I don't think it's fair that people who don't maybe come across as friendly, don't get the same treatment. Everything should be fair and just and equal. And Idon't think anyone should ever pay a bung or do any favours for favours. In fact I'd make sure I didn't even give that person a cup of tea and a bun for their kind acts if they were in a position of power! Maybe that's the Englishwoman in me
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

.UK small business`s have it easy in so much as it`s very easy to understand the system and get started, if a property has the right planning in place you can open your new business the same day of receiving the keys ,not several months later , if you are lucky.
From another source, talking of Spain.
When the 12th largest economy in the world is ranked 136 for ease of starting a new business, behind Burundi, Afghanistan or Yemen?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:18 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

This is the big problem , rules should be black and white and you should be able to disagree with anyone/everyone in the town hall on a point with out fear of underhand retribution , "people -led" systems end up being corrupt from day one .UK small business`s have it easy in so much as it`s very easy to understand the system and get started, if a property has the right planning in place you can open your new business the same day of receiving the keys ,not several months later , if you are lucky.
I would want to make sure there is a working fire alarm system in place and insurances before opening

was on a course with a girl who described the palaver they had when they decided after being in a property for 18months to test the fire alarm. It didn't work. So they called an electrician (don't ask) who found that one of the smoke detectors wasn't working, the alarm sounders had been wired out and if there had been a fire no one would have known about it.
The business was a council approved day nursery for kiddies up to age 5
Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I would want to make sure there is a working fire alarm system in place and insurances before opening

was on a course with a girl who described the palaver they had when they decided after being in a property for 18months to test the fire alarm. It didn't work. So they called an electrician (don't ask) who found that one of the smoke detectors wasn't working, the alarm sounders had been wired out and if there had been a fire no one would have known about it.
The business was a council approved day nursery for kiddies up to age 5
My point is its very easy in the UK and unobstructed by red tape , fire alarms and public liability insurance are not a legal requirement in most cases and when required insurance can be bought online and fire alarms can be installed the same day as well .