Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Second hand in Spain

Second hand in Spain

Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Second hand in Spain

I'm curious. I was trying to explain ebay and car boot sales to my student. Why is it that the Spanish don't buy and sell second hand goods (as a rule)? Is it because things are usually passed down or shared out in families, and there's always a house in need of furniture. Not much seems to be thrown away either so it must be being recycled in some way.
Maybe some of our Spanish/half Spanish members can explain it. Do you think this will change? Do Spaniards come to car boot sales and second hand markets in the coastal areas.
I'd also be interested to know if Spanish people are happy to accept gifts of second hand goods, hand me down clothing etc. or would this only happen within the family too?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second hand in Spain

Most things are passed on in the family or given to charities. The town hall here collects unwanted furniture and gives it to people in need. There is also Caritas (a Catholic charity) and a secular organisation called Madre Coraje which collects old clothes, blankets, tools etc and recycles them or distributes them to where they are needed.

My instinct is that people would feel uncomfortable about being given stuff directly, unless you know them well. It's better to give it via a charity.

I think online selling is catching on, ebay and segundomano are getting more popular, but the price of postage here is a big deterrent!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I'm curious. I was trying to explain ebay and car boot sales to my student. Why is it that the Spanish don't buy and sell second hand goods (as a rule)? Is it because things are usually passed down or shared out in families, and there's always a house in need of furniture. Not much seems to be thrown away either so it must be being recycled in some way.
Maybe some of our Spanish/half Spanish members can explain it. Do you think this will change? Do Spaniards come to car boot sales and second hand markets in the coastal areas.
I'd also be interested to know if Spanish people are happy to accept gifts of second hand goods, hand me down clothing etc. or would this only happen within the family too?
I have given two sofas to one family who live close by, and a gas cooker to another. I made the offer along the lines of "I've got xxx that I don't need any more, it's in good condition and I don't want to throw it away. Do you know anybody who might be able to make use of it?". Both of them snapped up the stuff straight away. They were astonished that I didn't want any money for them.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:59 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish people do go to car boots around here.

A friend runs a very successful second hand shop (mostly furniture) in our village.

Leave anything of value (including bags of clothes) near the basura and it disappears very quickly.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Spanish people do go to car boots around here.

A friend runs a very successful second hand shop (mostly furniture) in our village.

Leave anything of value (including bags of clothes) near the basura and it disappears very quickly.
There are the odd "flea markets, rastros" & even the odd charity shop in the area, but nothing like the amount in the UK.
Many people here do not seem to know the value of 2nd hand goods either & seem to price them at ridiculous amounts.
I put it down to the sense of pride & show that Spanish people tend to portray.

It is surprising there aren't more, given the economic situation.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
There are the odd "flea markets, rastros" & even the odd charity shop in the area, but nothing like the amount in the UK.
Many people here do not seem to know the value of 2nd hand goods either & seem to price them at ridiculous amounts.
I put it down to the sense of pride & show that Spanish people tend to portray.

It is surprising there aren't more, given the economic situation.

Very true , the same with used cars.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Segundamano.es is one of the most popular websites in Spain. We've sold loads of stuff on there

Before the crisis though second hand was very rare. We have been given loads of children's clothing that has been passed down through the family. But the idea is that we then pass this on to the next child born in the extended family. That's probably why children's clothing in Spain is expensive and of good quality, because it gets a lot of use! The kids around here are all dressed in 100-200 euro coats (not brand names, but good quality Spanish made) that I'm sure have done the rounds

My mother in law was bemused when we said we'd made money selling our things on segundamano, she hinted that we should have given them away to people who needed them, not made money from it

Last edited by cricketman; Jan 10th 2013 at 1:36 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:37 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
There are the odd "flea markets, rastros" & even the odd charity shop in the area, but nothing like the amount in the UK. It is surprising there aren't more, given the economic situation.
I guess it depends where you live there are loads near us.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 3:33 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Loads near us when we lived in Spain, but then the local town hall closed the vast majority down, think it was at the request of Spanish market traders. They didn't buy too much at the auctions, but plenty at the car boot sales.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

There's a huge rastro in Seville, C/ Feria on Thursday mornings. There's a big one in Fuengirola too, on Saturdays I think, I've never been but I've heard it's good.

Not sure how you go about selling your own stuff, but they are great for browsing.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 3:53 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

There's a huge rastro with loads of secondhand stuff at Sabinillas every Sunday morning.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
There's a huge rastro in Seville, C/ Feria on Thursday mornings. There's a big one in Fuengirola too, on Saturdays I think, I've never been but I've heard it's good.

Not sure how you go about selling your own stuff, but they are great for browsing.
Interesting. I hope OH will be up for a look one day. I did go to one in Barcelona which was really interesting. Maybe the prices are a bit high compared with the UK. But if something is just what you want...And you're on a budget, it's still a good idea. We're self building and often buy tools rather than hire a man to do a job. It still works out cheaper and then we have tools left over. As we get towards the end of the job I'm going to have a rastro's worth of tools I will never use again!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:35 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

A Rastro started in one of my local villages a short while back and took off way beyond the wildest expectations in no time at all.

Lots of tools ancient and modern that people no longer seem to have a use for, maybe partly due to the recession.
Lots of second hand clothes with brand new price tags on them.
I wonder how many people they fool or if it makes them feel better believing they are new ?

I look mainly for works of art myself.
Not found any masterpieces yet, but lots of interesting stuff as cheap as chips just to hang on the walls.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 7:17 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

We have 2 carboot sales every Saturday and Sunday and you have to buy a license from the town hall to sell on it. its was free ,,untill the town found out..The biggest one is the Sunday one with 200 places ..
Old Jan 11th 2013, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Loads near us when we lived in Spain, but then the local town hall closed the vast majority down, think it was at the request of Spanish market traders. They didn't buy too much at the auctions, but plenty at the car boot sales.
Protectionism , thats part of the reason Spain is in such a mess , self employed business people right up to international companies are often blocked or deterred from making a living/investing in new ventures, the Spanish just dont understand how free markets work or that free competion is best as the deadwood falls by the wayside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.