Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

scrap yards - car breakers

scrap yards - car breakers

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

zx6rBarry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default scrap yards - car breakers

Can you have a UK plated car scrapped in Spain and if so do they pay a small fee for the car?
After reading several threads on this site there are a couple of points that I am not too sure on.
1) When taking a UK car to Spain do you have to convert to Spanish plates within 1 month or after 6 months?
2) Six months ownership of the car - is this 6 months in the UK or six months prior to application for Spanish plates?

Last edited by zx6rBarry; Sep 22nd 2006 at 2:24 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: scrap yards - car breakers

Originally Posted by zx6rBarry
Can you have a UK plated car scrapped in Spain and if so do they pay a small fee for the car?
After reading several threads on this site there are a couple of points that I am not too sure on.
1) When taking a UK car to Spain do you have to convert to Spanish plates within 1 month or after 6 months?
2) Six months ownership of the car - is this 6 months in the UK or six months prior to application for Spanish plates?
Can anyone offer any advice on this?
Please
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about UK plated but I was told Spanish ones have to have road tax paid up to date and paperwork.
That is why so many are dumped in the streets.
You have to import car and change to Spanish plates within 6 months.
I assume it is ownership of car regardless of where.

Wait for zel to reply he is the motor guru
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:28 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zx6rBarry
Right it depends on what the vehicle is and it's age; worse case scenario a smallish fee to 'scrap' it or if it's a popular model you might be able to sell it to a recycling yard who will take it apart and sell any useable parts.

If you're scraping or getting Spanish registration, remember to fill in the appropriate section on your UK V5 document (perm export or scrapped) otherwise if you ever come back to you UK you could find yourself with a mountain of fines.

Next :

1> Once you have started the ball rolling concerning your residencia you then have upto six months to then register the vehicle in Spain.

2> It's six months of ownership on your V5 uk reg document before the date you submit the request to register it within Spain.

Either way your UK registered vehicle can not stay in Spain for longer than six months (residencia or not) without either leaving or registering it in Spain. Also remember to keep in your vehicle as much info as possible to prove when you left the UK just incase you get stopped by the Spanish Police.

So for example if you did not start the ball rolling for residencia after 2 months of being in Spain with your car, you then have 4 months to register it in Spain, unless you take it back to the UK and then bring it back, then you have your full six months to register it.

It's worth noting that if you can store the vehicle off the road after the six months are up and the registration process is going through or close, that's fine.

It's a very grey area with taking the vehicle over the border to France/Portugal then driving back over the Spanish border; the general rule is (to be on the safe side) it has to go back to its original country then back to Spain.

Last edited by zel; Sep 22nd 2006 at 9:44 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 7:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Right it depends on what the vehicle is and it's age; worse case scenario a smallish fee to 'scrap' it or if it's a popular model you might be able to sell it to a recycling yard who will take it apart and sell any useable parts.

If you're scraping or getting Spanish registration, remember to fill in the appropriate section on your UK V5 document (perm export or scrapped) otherwise if you ever come back to you UK you could find yourself with a mountain of fines.

Next :

1> Once you have started the ball rolling concerning your residencia you then have upto six months to then register the vehicle in Spain.

2> It's six months of ownership on your V5 uk reg document before the date you submit the request to register it within Spain.

Either way your UK registered vehicle can not stay in Spain for longer than six months (residencia or not) without either leaving or registering it in Spain. Also remember to keep in your vehicle as much info as possible to prove when you left the UK just incase you get stopped by the Spanish Police.

So for example if you did not start the ball rolling for residencia after 2 months of being in Spain with your car, you then have 4 months to register it in Spain, unless you take it back to the UK and then bring it back, then you have your full six months to register it.

It's worth noting that if you can store the vehicle off the road after the six months are up and the registration process is going through or close, that's fine.

It's a very grey area with taking the vehicle over the border to France/Portugal then driving back over the Spanish border; the general rule is (to be on the safe side) it has to go back to its original country then back to Spain.
Zel, points 1 and the second and third paragraph of point 2 seem to contradict themselves in some way, in point one you are saying you have 6 months ONCE YOU HAVE APPLIED FOR RESIDENCIA, in point 2, you state that THE 6 MONTHS START FROM WHEN THE CAR ENTERS THE COUNTRY. As far as I understand it the point 2 is the correct one, and the timing clock starts the day it enters the country. In fact application for residencia doesn't come into it as there are many people who NEVER apply for residencia, although the British Embassy advises people should.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 7:55 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Zel, points 1 and the second and third paragraph of point 2 seem to contradict themselves in some way, in point one you are saying you have 6 months ONCE YOU HAVE APPLIED FOR RESIDENCIA, in point 2, you state that THE 6 MONTHS START FROM WHEN THE CAR ENTERS THE COUNTRY. As far as I understand it the point 2 is the correct one, and the timing clock starts the day it enters the country. In fact application for residencia doesn't come into it as there are many people who NEVER apply for residencia, although the British Embassy advises people should.
I'm Sorry you're unable to understand the original message, I've just re-read it and I can understand what i'm saying, but i'll try again and hopefully this time it will be more clear, don't know what else to say?

If you are going for residencia and your vehicle has already been in the country for a few months; then you have the option to take it out of the country to 'roll over' the timescale. Ie as my previous example it would then give you another two months leway to register it.

The two laws are different but the same in terms of length and yes residenica and 'tourist visiting' contradict themselves, but the above is a way of giving you some more time for say IF you have not owned the vehicle in the UK for longer than six months and you want to play the waiting game until then.

But generaly people who do go for residencia do it within days/weeks of being in Spain and this is nothing to worry about, I was mearly saying there is a way around the problem if you don't.

The VAST majority of people who have their residencia have had their car in Spain for longer than six months before it's Spanish registered and get away with it, but it's entirely upto 'you' how you want to play it.

As far as never needing to have residencia to register your personal import (without paying import duties) then I'm unaware of this, I'm just quoting what the UK and Spanish official bodies tell us, which you have to assume are the people in the know. This is the route that the vast majority of clients we've had have taken (when they've been told themselves the same advice by the official bodies) You can either do things properly or you not.. Purely a personal choice, but personaly and as a company we do everything the way the gov(s) and/or officials say.

Last edited by zel; Sep 23rd 2006 at 8:23 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zel
I'm Sorry you're unable to understand the original message, I've just re-read it and I can understand what i'm saying, but i'll try again and hopefully this time it will be more clear, don't know what else to say?

If you are going for residencia and your vehicle has already been in the country for a few months; then you have the option to take it out of the country to 'roll over' the timescale. Ie as my previous example it would then give you another two months leway to register it.

The two laws are different but the same in terms of length and yes residenica and 'tourist visiting' contradict themselves, but the above is a way of giving you some more time for say IF you have not owned the vehicle in the UK for longer than six months and you want to play the waiting game until then.

But generaly people who do go for residencia do it within days/weeks of being in Spain and this is nothing to worry about, I was mearly saying there is a way around the problem if you don't.

The VAST majority of people who have their residencia have had their car in Spain for longer than six months before it's Spanish registered and get away with it, but it's entirely upto 'you' how you want to play it.

As far as never needing to have residencia to register your personal import (without paying import duties) then I'm unaware of this, I'm just quoting what the UK and Spanish official bodies tell us, which you have to assume are the people in the know. This is the route that the vast majority of clients we've had have taken (when they've been told themselves the same advice by the official bodies) You can either do things properly or you not.. Purely a personal choice, but personaly and as a company we do everything the way the gov(s) and/or officials say.
Thanks for the replys.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zel

Another question. Is it the same price to convert a motorbike to spanish plates as the car price?