Septic Tanks

Old Sep 11th 2006, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

VALANN is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Septic Tanks

Hi, Can anybody help me!

We bought a property in Hozanejos (Chiclana) 18 months ago and apart from the usual problems with electricity and water we have had a major problem with our septic tank. Apparently our property in situated in an area with a low water table. The tank fills up within a week and we have to have it gulped out at a cost of 100 euros each time! Luckily we are only using it as a holiday home at the moment. We have been told the only way to solve the problem is to get a plastic tank. Our builder has been out over 5 times to see if he could rectify the problem but this only resulted in half the garden being dug up and no solution. We would like to get a qualified person - surveyor or engineer? to have a look and tell us exactly what we need. Does anyone know of a reputable person? or any details about plastic tanks. I have scoured the internet but am getting nowhere.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 3:56 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all
Default Re: Septic Tanks

Hi
I used to live just down the road from a large septic tank manufacturer, have a look at: Klargester
You may find some useful info on their website.

I have seen plastic tanks for sale in Higinio, they also have recently employed an English speaking lady who can help with anything they sell. She is in the Higinio by the blue bridge.

Yvonne
Old Sep 11th 2006, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by YMF
Hi
I used to live just down the road from a large septic tank manufacturer, have a look at: Klargester
You may find some useful info on their website.

I have seen plastic tanks for sale in Higinio, they also have recently employed an English speaking lady who can help with anything they sell. She is in the Higinio by the blue bridge.

Yvonne
Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2006, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VALANN
Hi, Can anybody help me!

We bought a property in Hozanejos (Chiclana) 18 months ago and apart from the usual problems with electricity and water we have had a major problem with our septic tank. Apparently our property in situated in an area with a low water table. The tank fills up within a week and we have to have it gulped out at a cost of 100 euros each time! Luckily we are only using it as a holiday home at the moment. We have been told the only way to solve the problem is to get a plastic tank. Our builder has been out over 5 times to see if he could rectify the problem but this only resulted in half the garden being dug up and no solution. We would like to get a qualified person - surveyor or engineer? to have a look and tell us exactly what we need. Does anyone know of a reputable person? or any details about plastic tanks. I have scoured the internet but am getting nowhere.
Where is Hozanejos? Why weren´t you warned by your estate agent that there could be a problem? This is an horrendous situation. Do you have a problem with your well water?
Old Sep 11th 2006, 6:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The problem might be that the water table is higher than the outlet on the septic tank, and is filling the tank in a week.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 7:09 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I had friends who lived in Pledgden Green near Stansted airport who had an electric septic tank. It spun very slowly, the solids turning to dust and the liquid filtering into the gulley in the field next door. Have you tried talking to CDL Caretaking...he can be a mine of information.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by glynis
Where is Hozanejos? Why weren´t you warned by your estate agent that there could be a problem? This is an horrendous situation. Do you have a problem with your well water?

Hi, No one said anything and we did not realise we had a problem until water seeped out all over the patio and we had to dig it up only to find that the septic tank had been sealed with a huge concrete block. Once this was removed we thought we would be ok but no luck and the water just keeps filling up from the bottom of the tank. We have been assured that there is no leak but I am not convinced. Hozanejos is between Pago De Lumo and Colorado.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why it was encased in a concrete block?
I've heard (this isn't gospel) that if the water table is high, an empty septic tank could easily collapse under the pressure of the water outside. Hence, better to empty it during a dry spell...Perhaps your tank has had it's capacity reduced? Get advice from the experts (they are advertising below this thread...)
Old Sep 13th 2006, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=VALANN]Hi, Can anybody help me!

Hi ValAnn. Sounds like you have a pozo negro, like most of us in the campo. (A very crude cesspit).

Take a look at my post in "Chiclana Dream" of 26.2.06, No. 74, page 5. Right at the end I mention these. In a subsequent page I wrote about what we did to remedy the situation, as there were no septic tanks available in this area when we arrived.

Now they are in nearly all the builders' merchants, so time, space and money permitting you could replace this antiquated system.

Good luck with that.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

TedSmith1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VALANN
Hi, Can anybody help me!

You should look at www.johnstonsmith.co.uk and they are profesional consultants who can help you
Old Sep 25th 2006, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

conil-alex is an unknown quantity at this point

Valann

We moved from Hozanejos (I assume you mean Bajo not Alto) just over a month ago to Conil and we had similar problems when we moved in some time ago. Hoz is in an area which has a high water table - not a low one. Basically water from the land leaks into your cesspit and fills up the pit - leaving very little room for anything else - the cheapest solution is a plastic pit which quite simple put acts as a big giant tank which you then need to get pumped out at less regular intervals - bigger the tank - longer the intervals. I would suggest you go and talk in the first instance to Dayra or Barmagua as both companies can get access to plastic pits but you may need a construction company to put them in or go back to your builder and demand he obtains and fits a plastic tank - if no luck there - then go and talk to Daniel Mitteran at El Colorado he is very good and highly trustworthy.

On the subject of trust "YMF" in this thread talks about the english speaking lady in Higinio I have dealt with her on two and found her incredibly pushy and very arrogant and will push you towards something she wants to sell - not what you want to buy I now avoid her and try to speak broken spanish to others - its better. Friends recently bought a kitchen from her and had some problems with fittings which she did absolutly nothing to help them after the sale - buy now, repent later seems to be her motto