Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Schools & waiting lists

Schools & waiting lists

Old May 16th 2005, 10:04 am
Just Joined

stevebrowne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools & waiting lists

We are looking to move to the Valencia region next Summer - summer 2006. I foolishly assumed that getting our 4 kids (3 of school age) into a british school wouldn't be a problem seeing as we are talking over a year form now.

But it looks like I was wrong... the two schools we have looked at so far - Caxton and Cambridge House have some spaces, but not so that all the kids could go to the same place.

Are the schools always so difficult to get into? What have other people done?
Old May 16th 2005, 1:58 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools & waiting lists

Originally Posted by stevebrowne
We are looking to move to the Valencia region next Summer - summer 2006. I foolishly assumed that getting our 4 kids (3 of school age) into a british school wouldn't be a problem seeing as we are talking over a year form now.

But it looks like I was wrong... the two schools we have looked at so far - Caxton and Cambridge House have some spaces, but not so that all the kids could go to the same place.

Are the schools always so difficult to get into? What have other people done?
Whats wrong with a Spanish school ????
Old May 16th 2005, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems we all make the same assumption!
Old May 16th 2005, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems we all make the same assumption! We live on the Costa del Sol where there just aren't enough schools to go around. The international schools have huge waiting lists and the local schools just can't cope with the influx of foreigners. A warning to everyone looking to come over: you may have to make a few trips backwards and forwards in order to sort schools out before you move. I might also mention that in order to get into a local Spanish school you need to be registered at the town hall in which you live in Spain and you will be issued with 'empadrionamiento'. This needs to be presented, along with birth certificated, rental contracts etc when making local, Spanish school applications.

Most International schools have quite high registration fees which need to be paid up front.
Old May 16th 2005, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Whats wrong with a Spanish school ????
Nothing wrong with them (is there?), and in fact we were thinking of our eldest two in a British school and our youngest two in a Spanish school, as the two youngest are likely to pick things up quicker.
Old May 16th 2005, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jaldridge
It seems we all make the same assumption! We live on the Costa del Sol where there just aren't enough schools to go around. The international schools have huge waiting lists and the local schools just can't cope with the influx of foreigners.
Looks like an excellent business opportunity for someone with deep pockets!

A warning to everyone looking to come over: you may have to make a few trips backwards and forwards in order to sort schools out before you move.
We're prepared to do that, and can even do so before the end of this term which I assume will be the back end of June.

I might also mention that in order to get into a local Spanish school you need to be registered at the town hall in which you live in Spain and you will be issued with 'empadrionamiento'. This needs to be presented, along with birth certificated, rental contracts etc when making local, Spanish school applications.
Hmmm.. At least with a British school it would be possible I guess to get it all sorted out before we move. One less thing to worry about at the time!

Most International schools have quite high registration fees which need to be paid up front.
The published prices I have seen don't seem too bad.
Old May 16th 2005, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Hello Steve,
I may have a site for you to look at It might be just what you are looking for then again maybe not take a look and see

Schooling in Spain, Information and addresses

Look around the site its full of useful info.
Good luck.
Old May 17th 2005, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by countryboy
Hello Steve,
Look around the site its full of useful info.
Good luck.
Thanks for that; a useful list of schools there for sure.