Schooling in Spain/Gibraltar

Schooling in Spain/Gibraltar

Old Aug 28th 2010, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

synthie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling in Spain/Gibraltar

Hello everyone,
first post and already a question.

I've looked through the forums but couldn't find an answer so far so I thought I'd ask here. I know that if we were to move to Gibraltar that the school there would be free, however it's likely that we can't afford the rent there (buying is out of the question).

We're thinking of moving to either Gibraltar or the Costa del Sol. I applied for a job in Gibraltar but if that's not working out, Malaga might be another option, there seem to be jobs there (QA/Test Manager).

What we're interested in is finding out about private school costs in the area. We looked at a couple of the schools websites but they all had "Contact us" in there - a bit early, maybe. I'm looking for a ballpark figure to see if that's an option or if we would have to send our son (6 years, nearly 7, P3) to a spanish school. English is already his second language in which he's a bit behind (he started with German but forgot most about it already) so we'd like to take it easy on that front.

I've got more questions around IT jobs, etc, is it seen to be more polite to put several questions into one thread or one question/thread?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:41 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling in Spain/Gibraltar

Originally Posted by synthie
Hello everyone,

I've looked through the forums but couldn't find an answer so far so I thought I'd ask here. I know that if we were to move to Gibraltar that the school there would be free, however it's likely that we can't afford the rent there (buying is out of the question).

We're thinking of moving to either Gibraltar or the Costa del Sol. I applied for a job in Gibraltar but if that's not working out, Malaga might be another option, there seem to be jobs there (QA/Test Manager).

What we're interested in is finding out about private school costs in the area. We looked at a couple of the schools websites but they all had "Contact us" in there - a bit early, maybe. I'm looking for a ballpark figure to see if that's an option or if we would have to send our son (6 years, nearly 7, P3) to a spanish school. English is already his second language in which he's a bit behind (he started with German but forgot most about it already) so we'd like to take it easy on that front.

I've got more questions around IT jobs, etc, is it seen to be more polite to put several questions into one thread or one question/thread?

you'd need to be living in Spain to send your son to Spanish state school - do you mean he's aged 6?

if so that's the route I'd take

International schools - a ball-park figure would be 3000-4000 a year for primary
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you'd need to be living in Spain to send your son to Spanish state school - do you mean he's aged 6?

if so that's the route I'd take

International schools - a ball-park figure would be 3000-4000 a year for primary

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, our son is 6 years old but will turn 7 in two months time.

Thanks for the information about the primary school costs. Do you know if that changes dramatically for secondary or is that about the same?

Cheers!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

I know that if we were to move to Gibraltar that the school there would be free, however it's likely that we can't afford the rent there (buying is out of the question).

What we're interested in is finding out about private school costs in the area.
If you subtract the cost of private schooling in Spain from the rents in Gibraltar I would think the figures would start to make sense.

http://www.marbellaschool.com/fees.php
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:09 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, our son is 6 years old but will turn 7 in two months time.

Thanks for the information about the primary school costs. Do you know if that changes dramatically for secondary or is that about the same?

Cheers!
they go up pretty dramatically as far as I know!

mine are in Spanish state school - but there are some here who have their kids in International secondary school - I'm sure they'll answer you later
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:23 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Most of the international schools in the Málaga province area are around 600-700€ a month! Primary being the cheaper end!! TOP TIP: You must choose a school that is affiliated with NABSS http://www.nabss.org/en/schools.php As they oversee and make sure that the schools are using qualified staff and are fit for purpose (trust me on this, not all international schools in the Malaga area are!!!!)

There is also a new school on the Technology park thats just about to open, the fees are less - around 300-400€ a month (apparently there are also discounts if you work on the technology park) and its creating a lot of interested locally, a couple of friends of mine are taking their children out of their international schools and sending them there! Its new, so there are no tables of success to be had yet, but it might be worth a look, especially if you're looking at work on the technology park???? http://www.colegiomit.com/en

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Aug 29th 2010 at 9:25 am.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:34 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

...... by the way, unless you live in Gibraltar, the schools cost 1000€ a term I think??? But they do speak english and work on the english curriculum! Some folk "use" a friends/colleagues Gibraltar addresses eventho they may not live there - if you get caught tho and they do check - you'll be eligible for back payments!!!!

Jo xx
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:38 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Most of the international schools in the Málaga province area are around 600-700€ a month! Primary being the cheaper end!! TOP TIP: You must choose a school that is affiliated with NABSS http://www.nabss.org/en/schools.php As they oversee and make sure that the schools are using qualified staff and are fit for purpose (trust me on this, not all international schools in the Malaga area are!!!!)

There is also a new school on the Technology park thats just about to open, the fees are less - around 300-400€ a month (apparently there are also discounts if you work on the technology park) and its creating a lot of interested locally, a couple of friends of mine are taking their children out of their international schools and sending them there! Its new, so there are no tables of success to be had yet, but it might be worth a look, especially if you're looking at work on the technology park???? http://www.colegiomit.com/en

Jo xxx
see I knew you'd be along soon!

600-700 a month - is that over 12 months or just Sept - June?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:45 am
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by lynnxa
see I knew you'd be along soon!

600-700 a month - is that over 12 months or just Sept - June?
Sept - June!!! So yes, you dont pay it during the summer holidays, unless you do the summer school/activities. I should have pointed that out. Thats just how I always work it in my head!!! That also doesnt include the uniform, books, stationary etc..

Jo xxx
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Interestingly my school on the Costa has, I believe, recently come out of NABSS because the quality of inspections has been so poor.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:05 am
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram
Interestingly my school on the Costa has, I believe, recently come out of NABSS because the quality of inspections has been so poor.
Not the same school as yours I know, but I know of a school who has been claiming to be a member of NABSS eventho they failed the inspection - they had to be threatened with legal action before they'd remove the NABSS logo from their website. I've been looking at all this fairly deeply in the last few months. All the good schools, with quality teaching staff and facilities are with NABSS!

I guess there maybe schools out there that are good that dont affiliate, but without a governing body, albeit voluntary, how on earth do you know what you're getting!!?? Any fool with a building and some desks can start an international school in Spain!

Jo xxx
Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

Don´t get me wrong, I am totally in agreement with inspections and having qualified as a teacher in the age of planning and lesson observations, accept that this is a vital tool in driving the quality of teaching and teachers upwards.

However to say that the only schools worth bothering about are those registered with Nabss is a fallacy There are many schools not on the nabss list that I am sure parents would rave about, and have done on this forum.

Honestly, the quality of our last Nabss inspection was so poor (not the quality of teaching i hasten to add) that it wasn´t worth the paper it was written on, let alone the exorbitant cost involved to the school.

"Any fool with a building and some desks can start an international school in Spain!"

I agree, but you may be able to fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people, all of the time. Parents are not stupid and if a school wasn´t doing what it was supposed to, it would quickly get found out and close, which some have.

Last edited by Zaragozaram; Aug 29th 2010 at 10:26 am. Reason: Originally wrote your list, not Nabss list. Didn´t want to accuse you of working for Nabss.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Wow, lots of fantastic information here!

I'll check out the links and meditate on that a bit. It all depends on how much I'll earn once I get a job, but to know what to look out for in advance is quite reassuring, thanks.

Spanish for our son would be his third language so a bi-lingual school is something that I'd prefer, if possible at all.

I can see where the comments about poor inspections are coming from. At the end of the day I don't care about a certificate, that might help or not, but about the quality of education.

I might be back nearer the time to ask about specific schools to get a feeling which schools are better avoided and which are good!

Great discussion, thanks.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:35 am
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram
Don´t get me wrong, I am totally in agreement with inspections and having qualified as a teacher in the age of planning and lesson observations, accept that this is a vital tool in driving the quality of teaching and teachers upwards.

However to say that the only schools worth bothering about are those registered with Nabss is a fallacy There are many schools not on your list that I am sure parents would rave about, and have done on this forum.

Honestly, the quality of our last Nabss inspection was so poor (not the quality of teaching i hasten to add) that it wasn´t worth the paper it was written on, let alone the exorbitant cost involved to the school.

"Any fool with a building and some desks can start an international school in Spain!"

I agree, but you may be able to fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people, all of the time. Parents are not stupid and if a school wasn´t doing what it was supposed to, it would quickly get found out and close, which some have.
I would imagine that the costs involved in belonging to NABSS is an issue especially as there are not so many people coming over from the UK as have done in the past! But as a parent, when you're in the UK, doing your research on schools and you're mind is boggled by which one, whats the best, whats the nearest, nicest looking, has the best teachers, best results, best facilities - you cant ask anyone, cos you're not there.................. I know, I've been there and done it and its not easy to recognise failure when its being hidden behind deceit and misinformation. It can take a couple of years before the penny drops!!!!!!!!

Jo xxx
Old Aug 29th 2010, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Best School? The one that has the best teachers? Me then, right?
In all seriousness of all the schools that I know and have been to (including my own) on the Costa, none are perfect. Some have some bad teachers, some poor facility, some poor location and some are too expensive/elitist. However I am sure that in all the schools there are excellent teachers doing an excellent job adding value to the education of students along the costa.

Anyway I think we are arguing different sides of the same coin and getting away from what the OP wanted to know but thanks for the intelligent discussion.

Right going to go back to planning my lessons for next weeks start, it´s not fair I have only had 10 weeks holiday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.