Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

school system and childcare

school system and childcare

Old May 4th 2014, 12:12 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school system and childcare

Originally Posted by Londonertogooz
I suppose Barcelona 's system would be the same ?
I just want the kids to be speaking english mainly or have that as first language so they can come to uk for university if the want to ....
Why not Spanish Universities? My eldest starts at Valencia University in September - no problem, excellent Uni.
Old May 4th 2014, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
I find your comments very offensive. As a teacher in the British system, I work very long hours planning and marking and displaying student work. I also make myself available to my A level students 24 hours via email. Please be careful not to comment on areas you clearly know nothing about. Oh and BTW, there were 6 applicants for my job so go figure
What exactly is offensive about my comment?
Old May 4th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonertogooz
I suppose Barcelona 's system would be the same ?
I just want the kids to be speaking english mainly or have that as first language so they can come to uk for university if the want to ....
I'm assuming your children are very young, in which case they'll develop native English skills at home anyway (provided you put a bit of effort in). They'll be bilingual in English and Catalan. Language shouldn't be a problem, however as they get older you may wish to switch them to an international school so they get some experience at being taught in English, as well as being exposed to a bit more British culture in the classroom.

It's something I think about as well - our oldest is 4 and I'm happy for him to go to Spanish primary school, and his English is fine, but I'd like him to eventually go to a UK university as well and I'm not sure whether I should switch him to an international school when he starts secondary school or when he starts sixth form. I'm hoping I'll have a clearer idea when the time comes to make the decision.
Old May 4th 2014, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why not Spanish Universities? My eldest starts at Valencia University in September - no problem, excellent Uni.
For me it's not so much the standard of education. When my kids reach that age they'll probably have spent their entire lives in Spain, so the chance to attend university in a different country would be a broadening experience for them. Also if now is anything to go by, there'll be a lot more opportunities availble to people graduating from a UK university than a Spanish one. Of course the decision will ultimately be made by my kids anyway, but I really want that door to be open to them.
Old May 4th 2014, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera
For me it's not so much the standard of education. When my kids reach that age they'll probably have spent their entire lives in Spain, so the chance to attend university in a different country would be a broadening experience for them. Also if now is anything to go by, there'll be a lot more opportunities availble to people graduating from a UK university than a Spanish one. Of course the decision will ultimately be made by my kids anyway, but I really want that door to be open to them.
If Erasmus is still going on then this is a good compromise

My wife spent 3 years at a good Spanish uni and the final 2 years at a very good UK one - the best of both worlds
Old May 5th 2014, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cricketman
If Erasmus is still going on then this is a good compromise

My wife spent 3 years at a good Spanish uni and the final 2 years at a very good UK one - the best of both worlds
Yes that's another option - and a lot cheaper as well. I'm also hoping that when the time comes there'll be even more opportunities to study in different countries, e.g. more joint degrees between universities.