Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

school system and childcare

school system and childcare

Old May 2nd 2014, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Londonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud of
Default school system and childcare

Hello again
how is the school system there? (holiday wise and school times)
afterschool clubs?
and how about childcare? do you get child benefits?
are the nurseries free from what age? If not how much are they?
thanks
Old May 2nd 2014, 6:36 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school system and childcare

Originally Posted by Londonertogooz
Hello again
how is the school system there? (holiday wise and school times)
afterschool clubs?
and how about childcare? do you get child benefits?
are the nurseries free from what age? If not how much are they?
thanks
no child benefit as in the UK - but tax breaks if you work

infants starts at 2.5 years & is free wherever available - there are also private guarderías which take children from birth, more or less

obligatory primary starts at age 6 - free again, but you pay for all school books & supplies

hours vary in different areas & even towns - in my town most of the primary schools do 9am - 12:30 then 3pm - 4:30 - they can go home for lunch or stay - you pay for lunch of course . not sure how much now - my kids left primary years ago

secondary schools in my town do 8am til 2 or 3pm with one or two half hour breaks

holidays - no half terms

1.5 to 2 weeks off at Xmas & Easter & 12ish weeks off for the summer

some schools have after school & lunch time clubs - some don't
Old May 2nd 2014, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Londonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud ofLondonertogooz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynnxa
no child benefit as in the UK - but tax breaks if you work

infants starts at 2.5 years & is free wherever available - there are also private guarderías which take children from birth, more or less

obligatory primary starts at age 6 - free again, but you pay for all school books & supplies

hours vary in different areas & even towns - in my town most of the primary schools do 9am - 12:30 then 3pm - 4:30 - they can go home for lunch or stay - you pay for lunch of course . not sure how much now - my kids left primary years ago

secondary schools in my town do 8am til 2 or 3pm with one or two half hour breaks

holidays - no half terms

1.5 to 2 weeks off at Xmas & Easter & 12ish weeks off for the summer

some schools have after school & lunch time clubs - some don't
thank you!
so before infant only private childcare?
holiday system is like in italy then...i suppose cause of the hot weather
do you know if international schools are the same?
tx
Old May 2nd 2014, 6:47 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

thank you!
tx
the (British Curriculum) International schools near me seem to run on a cross between the Spanish state system & the UK timetable as far as holidays are concerned - they get a couple of half terms - all the fiesta days AND the long summer!

I couldn't say what age they start from - I think some have proper nurseries, for babies - but of course that would be fee paying anyway
Old May 3rd 2014, 8:33 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

I work in an International school and there is another 5 minutes from us. The holidays are different but basically 12 weeks in the summer, 2 weeks at christmas, a week in February (Andalucian holiday called Semana Blanca) and a week for Easter. We finish for summer on 25th June and do not go back until 8th isn September.

Our school runs the british curriculum with the opportunity for Spanish language qualification for entry to Spanish University.

Some international schools are much better than others, do if you choose that route, look at them all very carefully and ask LOTS of questions, do not be taken in by there charm and smiles and promises. Basically in my experience, the level of education is good, but not as good as the UK. I am speaking as a secondary teacher and as a parent of two in secondary school.

Having said all that, Spain is a great place to bring up kids as they stay young for longer here, no big rush to put on mini skirts and makeup.

Good luck.

N
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:14 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

thank you!
tx
In our part of the country school times are slightly different. As Lynnxa said, each town is different and even schools in the same town can be different.

Infant/primary/secondary - 9:00 - 1:00 and 3:30 - 5:30

Bachi - 8:00 - 3:30 or 9:00 - 1:00 and 3:30 - 5:30

In June and September, most schools stop at either 1 or 2 (due to heat etc.)

One big difference between here and UK that we found was that children are allowed to bring in a "sandwich" for breakfast but are NOT allowed packed lunches for dinner. They either go home or stay for school dinners (more than 7 euros per day per child where ours go).
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
I work in an International school and there is another 5 minutes from us. The holidays are different but basically 12 weeks in the summer, 2 weeks at christmas, a week in February (Andalucian holiday called Semana Blanca) and a week for Easter. We finish for summer on 25th June and do not go back until 8th isn September.

Our school runs the british curriculum with the opportunity for Spanish language qualification for entry to Spanish University.

Some international schools are much better than others, do if you choose that route, look at them all very carefully and ask LOTS of questions, do not be taken in by there charm and smiles and promises. Basically in my experience, the level of education is good, but not as good as the UK. I am speaking as a secondary teacher and as a parent of two in secondary school.

Having said all that, Spain is a great place to bring up kids as they stay young for longer here, no big rush to put on mini skirts and makeup.

Good luck.

N
thanks!!!in london depends on the area i think but yes is a bit daunting....
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snikpoh
In our part of the country school times are slightly different. As Lynnxa said, each town is different and even schools in the same town can be different.

Infant/primary/secondary - 9:00 - 1:00 and 3:30 - 5:30

Bachi - 8:00 - 3:30 or 9:00 - 1:00 and 3:30 - 5:30

In June and September, most schools stop at either 1 or 2 (due to heat etc.)

One big difference between here and UK that we found was that children are allowed to bring in a "sandwich" for breakfast but are NOT allowed packed lunches for dinner. They either go home or stay for school dinners (more than 7 euros per day per child where ours go).
so they go back the afternoon?
thanks
Old May 3rd 2014, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

In our town the schools are

primary 9 to 2 finish at 1300 in september and june with no after school activities, no afternoon return to school just loads of homework!

and secondary 830 to 14230 no afternoon sessions for any age group.

There is fee paying breakfast club at primary. No school meals, they have one break when they have the sandwich and drink they bring in from home. After school fee paying activities are run by the parents association from 4 to 5 but it is fee paying and not after school care. As far as I am aware there are no after school clubs in our town. There is a summer school in July and August 1000 to 1400 this is fee paying and only very limited places in the August session.
Old May 3rd 2014, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Factor in hundreds of pounds a year for school books, trip etc. The others here will tell you more about that, but I have read here of some quite large figures quoted, especially if you have a couple of kids.
Old May 3rd 2014, 1:49 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

so they go back the afternoon?
thanks
Oh yes! Plus lots of homework.

We have three children (currently 15, 15 and 17). Books last year cost us about 1500€

Plus lots of trips, material for special projects etc.

Even though all 3 children go to the same school, they are in three different years (daughter was held back one year), they all come out of school at different times! Sometimes 12:55 and other times 1:45. Eldest in Bach goes in at 8 some times etc. etc. All of this leads to us being in the car most of the day, or so it seems!
Old May 4th 2014, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

In Madrid city state schools tend to run from 9am to between 4pm, with a 2 hour break. Outside the city schools tend to run from 9am to about 2pm with a 20 min break. You then have the option of collecting your child or you can leave them there for lunch and probably some extra activities that you have to pay for. Most schools make sure some extra activity is available each day until 5 or 6 to give working parents a chance of picking them up, and of course to give the school some extra income. Most kids start state primary schools in the year they are 3.

Nurseries are available from 6 months (I think it's illegal for parents to leave babies much younger than that - although some try it on) and while there are a few state run nurseries, most kids go to private ones that are only between €300 and €400/month, and the council gives you €100/month to help pay.

I can't really compare it to the UK but I'm happy with what I have seen of Spanish primary education so far. My main advice in general is do lots of research and don't assume private education is better than state education. Younger teachers with good qualifications and fresh ideas tend to go to state schools, while private schools can end up with dead wood that has been there for over 20 years, teaching exactly the same way. Also don't assume that words like "Montesorri" in the school's name means that the school follows that method, and bear in mind that international schools can't exactly pick and choose their teachers - British teachers I know who are qualified to teach the UK curriculum tend to walk into jobs (the school being so desperate to have someone with the qualification) that they don't seem to assess their abilitie that much. This isn't the case with the top international schools like the British Council for example, but it seems to be the case for some of the others.
Old May 4th 2014, 9:59 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera
In Madrid city state schools tend to run from 9am to between 4pm, with a 2 hour break. Outside the city schools tend to run from 9am to about 2pm with a 20 min break. You then have the option of collecting your child or you can leave them there for lunch and probably some extra activities that you have to pay for. Most schools make sure some extra activity is available each day until 5 or 6 to give working parents a chance of picking them up, and of course to give the school some extra income. Most kids start state primary schools in the year they are 3.

Nurseries are available from 6 months (I think it's illegal for parents to leave babies much younger than that - although some try it on) and while there are a few state run nurseries, most kids go to private ones that are only between €300 and €400/month, and the council gives you €100/month to help pay.

I can't really compare it to the UK but I'm happy with what I have seen of Spanish primary education so far. My main advice in general is do lots of research and don't assume private education is better than state education. Younger teachers with good qualifications and fresh ideas tend to go to state schools, while private schools can end up with dead wood that has been there for over 20 years, teaching exactly the same way. Also don't assume that words like "Montesorri" in the school's name means that the school follows that method, and bear in mind that international schools can't exactly pick and choose their teachers - British teachers I know who are qualified to teach the UK curriculum tend to walk into jobs (the school being so desperate to have someone with the qualification) that they don't seem to assess their abilitie that much. This isn't the case with the top international schools like the British Council for example, but it seems to be the case for some of the others.
I find your comments very offensive. As a teacher in the British system, I work very long hours planning and marking and displaying student work. I also make myself available to my A level students 24 hours via email. Please be careful not to comment on areas you clearly know nothing about. Oh and BTW, there were 6 applicants for my job so go figure
Old May 4th 2014, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chopera

I suppose Barcelona 's system would be the same ?
I just want the kids to be speaking english mainly or have that as first language so they can come to uk for university if the want to ....
Old May 4th 2014, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Barcelona and barcelona international schools? thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.