Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

School hours: how do you manage it?

School hours: how do you manage it?

Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Worried mummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School hours: how do you manage it?

Hello,
Hope you can help me. We will be moving to La Linea next month and we have a major concern: finding a school for our 5 year old. I have found some schools both Spanish and international but there is something that worries me, school hours... Most school I enquire end by 3.30 pm. As both me and my husband will be working until 6 p.m., how can we manage it? Is there any after school programs? Can you please share your experience?
Thank you
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:34 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School hours: how do you manage it?

Originally Posted by Worried mummy
Hello,
Hope you can help me. We will be moving to La Linea next month and we have a major concern: finding a school for our 5 year old. I have found some schools both Spanish and international but there is something that worries me, school hours... Most school I enquire end by 3.30 pm. As both me and my husband will be working until 6 p.m., how can we manage it? Is there any after school programs? Can you please share your experience?
Thank you
... and then theres the long summer holidays - mid June til September!!! IME. some schools offer afterschool type activities, but I dont think they're on til 6pm. you need to ask the schools in question

Jo xxx
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:37 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
... and then theres the long summer holidays!!! IME. some schools offer afterschool type activities, but I dont think they're on til 6pm. you need to ask the schools in question

Jo xxx
yes, some do - the International schools here do, but not the state schools

most parents have grandma pick the kids up or if that's not possible they take the kids to work with them until they finish

the summer will be the bigggest challenge - our local ayuntamiento does run 'summer school' - but not for the entire 12/13 weeks, and only til 2pm I think
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:14 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
Thank you
'round here the schools finish at 5:30. It's only the much younger children (under 5) who leave at 3:30.

As said before, this is where the extended family comes in - welcome to Spain.

PS: Actually, don't schools finish at 3:30 in UK as well?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Worried mummy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Thank you for your replies.
We live in Portugal right now. The school my daughter goes to runs until 7 pm. We will not have any relative with us so I'm thinking we will have to hire some help for a few hours.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Thank you for your replies.
We live in Portugal right now. The school my daughter goes to runs until 7 pm. We will not have any relative with us so I'm thinking we will have to hire some help for a few hours.
At the age of 5, our local primaria only goes to 2pm. There are after school activities (plus comedor to fill in the bit between) but I haven't the foggiest how anyone copes with working hours apart from - as others have said - family. Our international school finishes at 4 and there are afterschool things which might to go 5 if you're lucky. Certainly no later.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:55 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
'round here the schools finish at 5:30. It's only the much younger children (under 5) who leave at 3:30.

As said before, this is where the extended family comes in - welcome to Spain.

PS: Actually, don't schools finish at 3:30 in UK as well?
so they do iirc!!

around here (just down the road from you) the infant & primary schools finish at 4:30 with a 2.5 hour break for comedor - although of course the kids can stay at school for that time

a lot of kids in the infants only do the morning session & finish at 12:30