Scam Warning

Old Dec 14th 2010, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Neil29649 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scam Warning

Had an email from somebody a couple of weeks ago asking if I could complete some I.T Work for them as they were busy in Ireland.
They wanted 9 laptops cleaning and reinstalling etc and would ship them to me along with a cheque for the amount I quoted.
I asked them where the laptops were and they said Barcelona. This raised my suspicions as I'm in the Costa del Sol, and also paying by cheque, so I read through the emails again and noticed slight mistakes in the language used.
I then Googled the email address that the email was from [email protected] and found they had been trying rental scams as well.
Apparently they send you a cheque for an amount over what was agreed which you then bank and send them the overpayment back but the cheque they sent you then bounces.

Just thought I'd let people know especially if they have their own business.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 1:39 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scam Warning

That is a new variation on a very old scam technique.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 7:16 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
That is a new variation on a very old scam technique.

True. I've got a "mistery shopper" (their spelling not mine) outfit who keep e-mailing me wanting my postal address so they can send "my" payment. I'm tempting to give it to them and see what happens. I'm aware its a scam, but part of me wants to play the game - altho I wont be losing any of my money!!?? [email protected] is their e-mail address for the record!

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Dec 15th 2010 at 7:18 am.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

I think the golden rule is to ignore anything involving payments via cheques, they invariably bounce, then you're left with loss of money AND police charges for fraud.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

I received that loads of times, I can't believe anyone falls for it to be honest.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Every now and then you hear someone falls for it. Always keep in mind, too good to be true...

A while ago a cheque was cashed by my account and wasn't mine! I went straight to the bank because I was terrorised it would bounce, it turned out it was a genuine mistake of the bank cashier. Still, it pays to be vigilant.