Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

satellite problems

satellite problems

Old Aug 18th 2010, 2:20 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: satellite problems

Interesting on-going case regarding the use of sky cards and reception of sky transmissions, which could have far reaching implications, if found in favour of the defendants who claim that EU free trade rules should take precedent over sky/prem restrictions.

http://www.euroviewsport.tv/legal-info.asp
Old Aug 18th 2010, 4:58 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

The EU must be careful on this - as it will have an effect on ALL EU broadcasters...some could go out of business as the more established players go for "European rights", which may be in contradicion to the EU "competition" policy...

And all broadcasters would have to renegiotiate (and pay more?) ALL their contracts for pan european coverage, as the card / contracts would only cover certain EU territories....thats the reason why cards and signals are restricted - its all down to contracts between the broadcasters and the programme makers...

And even if the outcome means a Sky card can be used outside the UK and ROI - does it say that Sky MUST provide a signal to that area.....

Its a minefield, and implications are, as you say, far reaching...

Last edited by The Guy; Aug 18th 2010 at 5:01 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:07 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
The EU must be careful on this - as it will have an effect on ALL EU broadcasters...some could go out of business as the more established players go for "European rights", which may be in contradicion to the EU "competition" policy...

And all broadcasters would have to renegiotiate (and pay more?) ALL their contracts for pan european coverage, as the card / contracts would only cover certain EU territories....thats the reason why cards and signals are restricted - its all down to contracts between the broadcasters and the programme makers...

And even if the outcome means a Sky card can be used outside the UK and ROI - does it say that Sky MUST provide a signal to that area.....

Its a minefield, and implications are, as you say, far reaching...
Doubt if the other EU broadcasters would pay the same extortionate fees as in the UK. They have competition to contend with over there and they also have plenty of other alternatives to Premier league football.
However Sky wouldn't want to lose their business.The income they get from other broadcasters both in Europe and Worldwide must be massive.

Don't think any ruling will say Sky have to provide a signal outside the UK.
However they already do that, as obviously there is a limit to how much they can narrow their beams and limit signals without seriously affecting reception within the UK.
Little doubt the case could carry on for years with Murdoch throwing money at it from every direction,slush money as well no doubt, however I don't think he'll have the same amount of clout with the EU courts as in the UK.
Interesting that Sky have meantime dropped their actions against the UK publicans who were receiving EU transmissions.
Most pubs in the UK can no longer can afford to pay Sky's extortionate fees which now come to many thousands of pound per annum, just to add to the depression in the pub trade.
Obviously Sky think that for every pub they help to put out of business, they will pick up a few hundred extra normal household subscriptions.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
However Sky wouldn't want to lose their business.The income they get from other broadcasters both in Europe and Worldwide must be massive.
What 'massive' income do Sky get from foreign broadcasters?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:56 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by derek500
What 'massive' income do Sky get from foreign broadcasters?
Should read Premier league.
However they both pee in the same pot and have jointly sewn up the rights to give themselves both maximum possible income from the market as a whole, and as I understand it are jointly fighting this case together.
Interesting to note that whilst there are restrictions on reception of foreign broadcasts from outside the EU without a special licence, the premier league clubs themselves have been using them for years in order to keep tabs on foreign players.
Do as we say, not as we do.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:08 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Doubt if the other EU broadcasters would pay the same extortionate fees as in the UK
Spanish PAY TV pay high prices for domestic Spanish rights for La Liga - huge problems re payments and TV blackout over the last few years
Italian TV channels pay per club extortional amounts for exclusivity in Italy for the big three or four teams
Lots of money for French Legaues also between the broadcasters
So it is not just in the UK...
But then the Uk is also one of the main areas of PAY TV, and so prices (like most things in the UK) are higher.

But the thing is everyone blames Sky... when this case is about the FA and its rights.....

IF the FA allocate rights ot a broadcaster for a territory then that broadcaster pays a premiums for those exclusive rights - for the UK it is Sky and ESPN, for Spain it is GOL and D+.

IF these boradcasters paid 2 billion GBP for 3 years, and the EU says its Ok for all broadcasters from all EU countires with rights for those countries to be made available in the UK, then Sky and ESPNS premium exclusivity rights would be worth a lot less - and so the FA would get less money....as they would not be able to expoit the exclusivity...

It may mean a subscription pay TV battle and good for customers, but then you may need several dishes fopr the various satellite that carry all the pay tv operators, and several subscription as, for example, LOST could be only on French Pay TV providers, Simpsons on German, Prem League on UK, Rugby on Spanish etc....
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:18 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
and several subscription as, for example, LOST could be only on French Pay TV providers, Simpsons on German, Prem League on UK, Rugby on Spanish etc....
Or all direct to your laptop via a suitable, cheap proxy service...
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:35 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jimenato
Or all direct to your laptop via a suitable, cheap proxy service...
I think thats the way more ppl. are going.
I cancelled my Sky sub for the Summer, but had no problem watching Man U v Newcastle free on the laptop on Mon night.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I think thats the way more ppl. are going.
I cancelled my Sky sub for the Summer, but had no problem watching Man U v Newcastle free on the laptop on Mon night.
I love my football and watch any match I want to on my laptop. Perfect stream every time and to hell with sky subscriptions. I used to pay £42 a month sky sub about five years ago when I lived in Garrucha,mainly for the football. Sky found out I lived in Spain and cancelled my card,but no refund.
Now I can watch what I want,or download it for later viewing. The tinterweb is the greatest invention of the 20th and 21st century,it has brought freedom to millions and frightened the crap out of petty tyrants abroad who like to keep their subjects in the dark.
viva la tinterweb...
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

stuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nice

Hi I have just returned and after leaving the Sky card in overnight it has indeed "Woken up" even though it was not the in box that it was orignally activated in. Thanks again Stuart.