Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Santander Ferry

Santander Ferry

Old Mar 1st 2012, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Santander Ferry

Hi Everyone,
I have done a search through the forum topics but not found what I really need.

Basically, I have driven down from Calais to CDS, but would like to travel back via Santander.

Has anyone any tips on this journey.

ie

What sailing to take
How long to get there
cabin to hire

or anything else you think may be relavant

Regards
Al
Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:53 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Santander Ferry

I would think most of the info you need is on the Brittany web site.
Which destination and sailing you choose will be mainly dependant on your UK destination.
Take care not to arrive in the UK during a bank holiday if you have far to drive. Made that mistake myself once and ended up having to make an overnight stop on the way back to the N.E.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
Hi Everyone,
I have done a search through the forum topics but not found what I really need.

Basically, I have driven down from Calais to CDS, but would like to travel back via Santander.

Has anyone any tips on this journey.

ie

What sailing to take
How long to get there
cabin to hire

or anything else you think may be relavant

Regards
Al
It's pretty expensive I've always thought. Just check they are sailing, because in winter they have stopped in the past.
You can choose sailings from Santander or Bilbao landing either at Plymouth or Portsmouth.
Last time I looked (Sept) there weren't any reclining seats on the Bilbao crossing, so you HAD to take a cabin, which jacked up the price enormously.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, been a few years since I did the trip from half hour west of Sevilla to Santander to Plymouth and Portsmouth on different trips on a motor bike and by car.

By car can be done under 8 hrs by bike 10 but we prefered to do an overnight about Burgos. There is choice of hotels and prices around there plus a lovely short trip to ferry. We stayed off toll roads and throughly enjoyed the trip.

We always took an inside cabin for four ( only two of us but my husband was over 6ft) last trip we upgraded to outside cabin which we did enjoy.
As my husband did all the driving he was glad of any little extra comfort.

We also prefered the Paradors for big beds and baths but not for the food which is normally expensive and not worth the money. They do welcome bikers which is good. He had done trips up through France also but much prefered the Santander trip.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 9:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
It's pretty expensive I've always thought. Just check they are sailing, because in winter they have stopped in the past.
You can choose sailings from Santander or Bilbao landing either at Plymouth or Portsmouth.
Last time I looked (Sept) there weren't any reclining seats on the Bilbao crossing, so you HAD to take a cabin, which jacked up the price enormously.
If you work out the cost against driving all the way through France for two days with tolls and a hotel as well as the ferry then you will find it's not that expensive by comparison

I used to go through France, but now I only go via Santander
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing you need to take into account is the the length of drive you have on the UK side as well. The 24/26 hrs on the ferry can be a very welcome break from driving. The buffet was always the best food, don't have them cook you anything, we were always disappointened, more than enough choice to make a good meal.

I would not consider booking a reclining seat I prefer a half decent bed and not to be where others are if anyone is seasick.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

We used to drive to France, but weighing up the costs it works about the same to do the long crossing. It takes us about 8 hours to drive up from the Sevilla area. We always take a cabin, so that we can arrive refreshed. The food on board is not the best, we always take some snacks with us. We also take a travel kettle so that we can make tea in our cabins. We had the fortune of having a club class cabin once, this had tea making facilities and a TV with English channels.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
If you work out the cost against driving all the way through France for two days with tolls and a hotel as well as the ferry then you will find it's not that expensive by comparison

I used to go through France, but now I only go via Santander
What you say is true, but for us, we were driving towards Irun, on the western side of France, for which there was no real need for Motorways until the short stretch from Bayonne to the frontier.
We also used to sleep on the floor in preference to a reclining seat, which is the worst thing to sleep in, but you had to buy a seat even if you didn't sleep in it!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 7:04 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
The other thing you need to take into account is the the length of drive you have on the UK side as well. .
Thats what used to do me in, because on the second day you do a full days drive and then arrive at the ferry early / mid evening. Then you're in the tunnel / on the ferry and you arrive in the UK and still have a 4 hour drive to make when, frankly, you are knackered.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
We used to drive to France, but weighing up the costs it works about the same to do the long crossing. It takes us about 8 hours to drive up from the Sevilla area. We always take a cabin, so that we can arrive refreshed. The food on board is not the best, we always take some snacks with us. We also take a travel kettle so that we can make tea in our cabins. We had the fortune of having a club class cabin once, this had tea making facilities and a TV with English channels.
We always take microwave food and use the microwaves which are situated either side of the main bar. There is a tesco about 10 mins from Portsmouth and we usually stop there for our return journey and buy some microwave food.

And if you have an early return crossing from Portsmouth just along from Tesco's is Mother Kelly and they do a wonderful full English.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 1:40 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked Via Michelin as to cost/mileage from Valencia to Calais

261.31 EUR
Peaje 83.60 EUR | Carburante 177.71 EUR | Impuesto EUR
Tiempo15h41 14h59 por vías rápidas
Distancia1673 km 1643 km por vías rápidas
Need to add an overnight, say 50eu
Need to add P+O ferry, listed as 35eu
Need to add additional food/refreshment stops, say 50eu

Total of 400eu
.................................................. .....
Just checked to Santander

Coste104.48 EUR
Peaje 26.55 EUR | Carburante 77.93 EUR | Impuesto EUR
Tiempo07h10 06h48 por vías rápidas
Distancia711 km 700 km por vías rápidas

Need to add ferry to Portsmouth at 557eu
Need to add food/refreshments on board, say 40eu ?

Total 700eu

So to Calais its going to save about 300eu, but driving another 900K's or so.
BTW this is all ish!
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Brittany Ferries -Pont Aven - Santander to Plymouth , nice cabins , very good restaurant, a relaxed journey.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 3:27 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by playamonte
Just checked Via Michelin as to cost/mileage from Valencia to Calais

261.31 EUR
Peaje 83.60 EUR | Carburante 177.71 EUR | Impuesto EUR
Tiempo15h41 14h59 por vías rápidas
Distancia1673 km 1643 km por vías rápidas
Need to add an overnight, say 50eu
Need to add P+O ferry, listed as 35eu
Need to add additional food/refreshment stops, say 50eu

Total of 400eu
.................................................. .....
Just checked to Santander

Coste104.48 EUR
Peaje 26.55 EUR | Carburante 77.93 EUR | Impuesto EUR
Tiempo07h10 06h48 por vías rápidas
Distancia711 km 700 km por vías rápidas

Need to add ferry to Portsmouth at 557eu
Need to add food/refreshments on board, say 40eu ?

Total 700eu

So to Calais its going to save about 300eu, but driving another 900K's or so.
BTW this is all ish!
I'm not sure where you are getting your figures from .... Santander Ferry has been around €260 one way, the €557 is roughly what we pay return. Of course it depends on the time of year. That would make the Santander trip under or around €400
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm not sure where you are getting your figures from .... Santander Ferry has been around €260 one way, the €557 is roughly what we pay return. Of course it depends on the time of year. That would make the Santander trip under or around €400
3 X Foot passengers RTN , Aug `12, best part of £700 with a cabin!!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 3:34 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Rotor
3 X Foot passengers RTN , Aug `12, best part of £700 with a cabin!!!!
If I booked now for an immediate sailing with a car and with a cabin for 2 people its just over £300 one way before discount and you can get a discount by joining the holiday club. Iirc the sailings from Bilbao have been slightly cheaper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.