Sand Flies..

Old Aug 18th 2007, 8:06 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sand Flies..

Just wondering what anyone with dogs in Spain are using for Sand flies, I am planning to use Advantix, but I'm not sure how available it is out there and if I will have to get it sent over.

So what do you use and how effective has it been?
Old Aug 18th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sand Flies..

You will have no problem buying advantix, the vets/pet shops here stock it , and it was recommended to us as better than wearing the collars, and it is a lot cheaper than in the UK.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

a lot cheaper than in the UK
Isn't everything?
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Matt,

I intended replying to this on the weekend, but:

a) I couldn't for the life of me remember what the name of the collar was that we use!

b) My PC decided to have a little 5 day siesta, and only decided to reincarnate today!

Anyway, we use a Scalibor collar.
It acts against both sand flies and ticks.

Our UK Vet recommended it before we moved over, and it cost about £13 I think.
We bought another one here this year, and it was nearly 22 Euros - so comparable.
I was initially very disappointed with the collar this time round, as Shiloh had 5 ticks within as many days!
However, she hasn't had any trouble since.

I don't really like the idea of dropping chemicals onto my dog, hence I prefer to use a collar. My logic is, that if she has an adverse reaction, then I can whip it off quickly - whereas when the stuff's already been dropped onto her skin, it's not so easily removed.

That might be a load of rubbish, but it makes me feel better!

I did loads of research on the Internet, as to what chemicals protected against what combinations of pests.
For me, sand flies and ticks were the ones I wanted to protect against most.

Sam x
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Advantix protects against ticks, sandflies and fleas and our vet recommended it as much better than using the escalibor collars, we use it on both of our dogs and we have never had any problems, we have great faith in our spanish vet far superior to the vet we had in england.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:13 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone here has any worries and concerns about any drugs they are using on their animals then I hope this site can help.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Compendium/Overview/

It is the website that the vets use and they publish a book every year, if you suspect the name is different due to the language then simply search for the drug name, as these will always be the same or the company as so will they.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reassurance jo-ann

We feel exactly the same as you about our Spanish Vet...........he's fab!

I may well be brave, and try Advantix sometime.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the website info Matt

Have put it into favourites, and will have a good read soon.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:21 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sand Flies..

Originally Posted by jo-ann
Advantix protects against ticks, sandflies and fleas and our vet recommended it as much better than using the escalibor collars, we use it on both of our dogs and we have never had any problems, we have great faith in our spanish vet far superior to the vet we had in england.
Hi Jo ann, that's comforting to know that you are confident with your Spanish vet. I do know where Sam is coming from with reference to the collar as preference, as there had been some horrendous reports about these type of drugs causing cats and dogs to convulse and in some cases even causing death. I should add, that none of the reports were recent and maybe they have changed or reduced certain chemicals which caused the severe reactions. Either way, you have to do something to protect against sand flies and ticks so choices have to be made. Not to put the frighteners on anyone, I think when flea collars came out years ago they weren't very nice either, so hopefully time and further research has improved this type of product all round.