Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A sad and sorry story - the highs and lows of living in Spain

A sad and sorry story - the highs and lows of living in Spain

Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:11 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A sad and sorry story - the highs and lows of living in Spain

The people from the North of Spain complain about the Andalucian logic. Would that be regional racism
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
The people from the North of Spain complain about the Andalucian logic. Would that be regional racism
And the Catalans still refer to Andalucians that came there to work as charnegos. It refers to outsiders in general, but at the time, it was mainly andaluces.
1. m. y f. despect. Cat. Inmigrante de una región española de habla no catalana.
Anyway, I don't mind being a guiri.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:22 pm
MONA LISA

coultrm will become famous soon enough

I'm an idiot, well let me quote what you wrote:

'What can you say to a man bought to (the) edge by a Spaniard in a hurry to get home'

I doubt very much that you would have said if you or your neighbour had been 'bought to (the) edge by either an English,Welsh or Scottish man had you lived in the UK.
Why mention a Spaniard, when a MAN would suffice?
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coultrm

'What can you say to a man bought to (the) edge by a Spaniard in a hurry to get home'

I doubt very much that you would have said if you or your neighbour had been 'bought to (the) edge by either an English,Welsh or Scottish man had you lived in the UK.
Yes, you would.... quite often you would hear someone saying "Bloody Welsh, Bloody Irish, Bloody Scots." Just like the Scots would say, "Bloody English". I am sure a lot of Spanish also say, "Bloody English" too. It is not being racist it is just venting some anger. I have often said, "Why don´t the Spanish learn to drive" when I am cut up on a roundabout. I am not racist against the Spanish. It is just generalisation in the way we speak.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:35 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know why there is a problem with complaining about the Spanish guy being in a hurry to get home, and making a big cock up.

I dont know why people get offended on behalf of the Spanish, I am not in the least bit offended by the remark.

If the guy was was Welsh, he probably would have called him a dozy taffy ba**ard.

There would not be half as many problems in the world, if folks did not get offended on other peoples behalf.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:36 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Yes, you would.... quite often you would hear someone saying "Bloody Welsh, Bloody Irish, Bloody Scots." Just like the Scots would say, "Bloody English". I am sure a lot of Spanish also say, "Bloody English" too. It is not being racist it is just venting some anger. I have often said, "Why don´t the Spanish learn to drive" when I am cut up on a roundabout. I am not racist against the Spanish. It is just generalisation in the way we speak.
So you must be the one that keeps getting in my way on the roundabouts, bloody women.......................
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by chulo
It tends to be a fact of life in Spain.

I`ve never lived there, but I deal with some Spanish businesses and my business partner, friend who I have referred to on here is Spanish so I kinda no the mentality behind the nationality.

He deals the Spanish side and frankly I finish at 3pm, he is still shouting at 8pm for work that is usually late.

I`m sure its not typical of Spain blah blah blah, but in my experience, plans, commonsense and ability is something of a rarity in Spain.

I`m glad to hear that nobody was injured, 8 tons of anything must make one hell of a mess.

On another note, Spaniards I work with and friends all take the p888 out of Spanish inability, its something of a national past time and not offensive unless you mean offense, so for all those british Expats who feel the need to defend their new adoptive country I say one thing, learn bloody spanish and watch there tv, cos there constantly doin it.

What about the English in the UK, shouldnt they be learning English.?????????
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

There would not be half as many problems in the world, if folks did not get offended on other peoples behalf.
Agree. Should we hide the fact the guy was Spanish? It's a total nonsense. In these type of forums, from what I have read Brit builders seem to come in for more stick than anyone else, nobody has any problems "naming and shaming" them. And why not? Tell it like it is, instead of pussyfooting around, afraid of upsetting the PC nutters.

What about the English in the UK, shouldn't they be learning English.?????????
Indeed they should, this is not much of a shop window for the UK education system!
Old Nov 28th 2009, 1:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
That sounds offending and racist....and I'm Spanish
In an case, what are you doing, policing the Spain forum? Mitzy is a moderator, and I'm certain wouldn't deliberately say anything racist, he was quoting the Spanish owner of the property, which gives him the right to report what was said. I kniw if it had been me, I wouldn't have been very happy, and probably used far worse language than that, and probably brought the mans race, and legitimacy into the comment as well.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 1:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mikelincs
In an case, what are you doing, policing the Spain forum? Mitzy is a moderator, and I'm certain wouldn't deliberately say anything racist, he was quoting the Spanish owner of the property, which gives him the right to report what was said. I kniw if it had been me, I wouldn't have been very happy, and probably used far worse language than that, and probably brought the mans race, and legitimacy into the comment as well.

Quite right, I would have called him all the names under the sun too. They seem to forget that Spainish is not a race, it is a nationality, same as Italian or German.

There is an ad on British TV for Dolmio sauce, and it features is an Italian cartoon family.
They write a question on the screen which says "whensa your dolmio day"

They are basically taking the P out of the Italian accent when speaking English.
Can you imagine, the outcry there would be if they took the P out of the Indian or Chinese accent. There would be cries of racism from all quarters.

So can we take it that Spanish as well as Italian is a nationality, and not a race, so all the bleeding hearts should not lose too much sleep over a few imagined insults. We can take it on the chin, we dont need folks fighting our battles for us. The plonker with the truck was Spanish, why hide the fact.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 1:28 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but I just don't think I'm on the same track that this thread seems to be going on.............

A Spanish man spent considerable time and money building a wall on his property. FACT!

Another Spanish man arrived late and and in his haste to unload his truck , the whole lot came tumbling down. FACT!

All these people live in Spain. This was posted in the Spanish forum. FACT!

I just don't get all this racist stuff being banded about.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 1:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I just don't get all this racist stuff being banded about.
Stop being sensible, Lorna. It doesn't fit with most of the thread.

Your poor neighbor. I feel for him. Just glad no one was injured.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 1:42 pm
Banned

Oh my God, they have brought the BIG GUNS in.

A mod and a supermod.................

Lets see if you can knock some sense into the "deeply offended on behalf of the Spanish" mob.

Old Nov 28th 2009, 1:54 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

to sum up about the calls about those who think there are racist tones

or

Mitzy, glad to see that the company are going to do something about this, as sometimes customer services in Spain is well below par of other EU countries. That is not racist just a fact of Spanish life.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coultrm

would it have caused you any less of an insult if he had not used the word spanish and actually said what the driver really was ...an imbecile.

what was meant was it was a local driver and I seriously doubt racism was the intention of calling the man Spanish. Personally I would call him too stupid to driving a truck

Really, people with an over developed sense of political correctness are a more annoying pain than heamaroids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.