Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A sad and sorry story - the highs and lows of living in Spain

A sad and sorry story - the highs and lows of living in Spain

Old Nov 27th 2009, 6:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default A sad and sorry story - the highs and lows of living in Spain

My neighbour is building a car parking area. We live on a mountain, so it involves building a tall wall, which he reinforced with steels, the proper way, according to architects plans. Over the last few days we have been helping him level out loads of rocks and stone that have been delivered by tipper truck, gently tipped into the chasm that was created by the wall structure.

Today the truck was due to come at 3 pm. By 4 it hadnt arrived so the wine came out and we sat on the wall drinking wine for 2 hours until it became clear the truck wasn't arriving. We had a laugh. We had a good time. It was fun to sit there for a few hours chatting with my French / Spanish / English neighbours who were all there to help.

At 7 I heard a truck outside and then a huge crash. The driver had arrived 4 hours late, clearly in a rush to get home. My neighbour told him to tip the load slowly and carefully. The driver however decided he wanted to get home quickly and let go of 8 tons of soil and rock in one go using the maximum tip angle of the truck.

My neighbour has spent two months building this wall and the lower terrace behind it. A lot of time and cost has gone into it.

All the walls and terracing have gone now, bulldozed down by 8 tons of fast moving earth and rubble that went through it like an avalanche

My neighbour .. from being so very happy some hours ago is now in floods of tears and he just cant accept what has happened. His wife was almost killed as she was standing at the bottom of the wall and just managed to throw herself into the underbuild before the wall collapsed.

He was trying very very hard to get his house in order before his daughter arrives for Christmas

What can you say to a man bought to edge by a Spaniard in a hurry to get home
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A sad and sorry story - the highs and lows of living in Spain

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
What can you say to a man bought to edge by a Spaniard in a hurry to get home
That sounds offending and racist....and I'm Spanish
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
And so is my neighbour, and those were his words
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Mitz I wish this post hadn't been posted but it was. Sure it could have been a truck driver of any nationality, but I don't think the label actually matters and nor does it matter very much that it was mentioned. What matters is what was foisted both literally and emotionally and financially upon the neighbour by an inconsiderate truck driver.

I wish I knew what anyone could say to your neighbour.... just being practical for a mo, is there the slightest chance of comeback against the delivery company? Photos? Anything? (how about the local paper??)
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:38 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by fionamw
Mitz I wish this post hadn't been posted but it was. Sure it could have been a truck driver of any nationality, but I don't think the label actually matters and nor does it matter very much that it was mentioned. What matters is what was foisted both literally and emotionally and financially upon the neighbour by an inconsiderate truck driver.

I wish I knew what anyone could say to your neighbour.... just being practical for a mo, is there the slightest chance of comeback against the delivery company? Photos? Anything? (how about the local paper??)
Thanks Fiona. I was extremely upset myself when I posted this message, you dont often see a grown man crying in front of you. Its indicitive of this forum nowadays unfortunately that rather than the poor mans terrible ordeal being the subject, the race card gets played.

I dont know what will happen. I took pictures before it happened luckily and in the morning I will take more of the damage in the light. The boss comes tomorrow to see what has happened, and hopefully he is insured. Its going to be a huge job to get everything back up the slope. About 20 tons of fill rubble, hundreds of breeze blocks .... just soul destroying
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:47 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Is Spanish a race?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:52 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter whether you're Spanish or not, it's still a stupid comment.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thanks Fiona. I was extremely upset myself when I posted this message, you dont often see a grown man crying in front of you. Its indicitive of this forum nowadays unfortunately that rather than the poor mans terrible ordeal being the subject, the race card gets played.

I dont know what will happen. I took pictures before it happened luckily and in the morning I will take more of the damage in the light. The boss comes tomorrow to see what has happened, and hopefully he is insured. Its going to be a huge job to get everything back up the slope. About 20 tons of fill rubble, hundreds of breeze blocks .... just soul destroying

Good job you got pictures, very good job. As to what it must feel like for the poor chap, Let's hope they don't try to say the retaining structure was weak or something, though if quite a lot had already been put in successfully (which presumably would show on your pics) that shouldn't be an issue.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope they don't try to say the retaining structure was weak
Sorry to have to disagree Fiona, but my first instinct would be that the retaining wall simply wasn't built strong enough to hold back another 8 tonnes of material. Putting aside the situation of his wife nearly getting in the way, it may simply be that once all the rocks had been put in place any rain that came along would have washed it away, anyhow (water is quite heavy!) Even worse, he might have had his car on the parking area when it happened.
Maybe best not to apportion too much blame to the delivery guy

Last edited by pete_l; Nov 27th 2009 at 8:44 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:55 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
Isn't it possible that the retaining wall simply wasn't built strong enough to hold back another 8 tonnes of material? Putting aside the situation of his wife nearly getting in the way, it may simply be that once all the rocks had been put in place any rain that came along would have washed it away, anyhow (water is quite heavy!) Even worse, he might have had his car on the parking area when it happened.
Maybe best not to apportion too much blame to the delivery guy
No doubt the trucker was a very silly trucker.
However I agree that questions have to be asked about the tall steel reinforced architect designed wall.
Such collapses are commonplace in Spain because the lateral forces plus the force of gravity are often underestimated in such situations.
Is it not possible that when completely filled with rubble plus the weight of a hard topsurface plus vehicles on top that the same result could have occured and been even more costly?
Would be interested to know the construction of the wall.
I would presume it would be at least double large block thickness possibly hollows filled with concrete and even then on a steep bankside it would likely need to be buttressed or else stepped back into the hillside with more blocks and concrete to reduce the side stress and take the weight.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

moores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant future

To the OP - that's an unfortunate story, particularly sorry for your neighbour after all his hard work.

To all the people claiming racism - honestly, get a grip! The nationality of the driver isn't particularly relevant however the OP's comment was not racist and yes, Spanish is a race, like any other population is a race...
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:54 pm
Senior Moment

I really dont believe this!

Suddenly people are an expert on a wall they have never seen, nor know the professional way it was built to architects stipulations. The wall was reinforced with steel bars throughout it and it was pinned to two existing walls. The foundations were built on a very thick concrete base, set on bedrock. The blocks were filled with concrete. They had drainage holes to let any water out

100 metres away is a similar wall and parking area, namely mine, which has been standing there for some 5 years ago and was built in exactly the same method. In fact of all the similar houses and structures built around here, none have collapsed.

Then there are several pools, also built in to the side of the mountain and have resided there quite happily for more than 5 years.

Build a wall. Then subject it to the force of 8 tons straight into it when a driver had been asked to tip slowly, but decided to just dump everything sideways straight into it. Not many walls will cope with that.

I dont really believe I'm having this discussion ... I only posted here to illustrate the highs and lows of living in Spain and the difference in a couple of hours

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Nov 27th 2009 at 9:58 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:57 pm
Click my Signature

sjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moores2525
To the OP - that's an unfortunate story, particularly sorry for your neighbour after all his hard work.

To all the people claiming racism - honestly, get a grip! The nationality of the driver isn't particularly relevant however the OP's comment was not racist and yes, Spanish is a race, like any other population is a race...
Seconded.
Remember PC is an English thing, not Spanish. It's little wonder so many brits want to escape.
I feel very sorry for the neighbour. Do Spanish firms give guarantees and insurances?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:17 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moores2525

I am not sure Spanish is a race - more a Nationality. Spanish people will come from many races, predominantly white/caucasian but with the usual mix of black, asian etc.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:19 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough Mitzy,.....I only asked....

Love to be a fly on the wall,....or whats left of it,..... manyana, just to hear whatever excuses the company come up with,.. or if they even accept responsibility......

Be interesting to hear the outcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.