Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

S1 Changes? Anyone heard of this?

S1 Changes? Anyone heard of this?

Old Oct 11th 2013, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default S1 Changes? Anyone heard of this?

I have just posted on the France Forum that S1 cover is to be withdrawn in April next year and have received the following link which seems to substantiate that.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...nsultation.pdf

Page 48.

Anyone got any more information?
Old Oct 11th 2013, 12:07 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S1 Changes? Anyone heard of this?

This has been confirmed on other forums.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
I have just posted on the France Forum that S1 cover is to be withdrawn in April next year and have received the following link which seems to substantiate that.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...nsultation.pdf

Page 48.

Anyone got any more information?
Thats not the correct consultation. This is the correct onehttps://www.gov.uk/government/consul...use-of-the-nhs

The consultation responses are still being reviewed, but i wouldn't hold your breath that the proposal will change. Just to be clear, it only affects S1 forms that are issued when people leave the UK, based on the National Insurance contributions. It normally entitles you to health cover in the EU country you move to, for upto 2 years. It does NOT affect S1 forms issued to pensioners or other claimants.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Capn Billy, I find it unclear.
Do you find it clear on what happens to those who have already left the UK,, are in receipt of an S1 because of past contributions, but are not quite yet of pensionable age?
In other words me. In theory my S1 should have last till my wife qualifies for her state pension. So are they retrospective changes I suppose is the question.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have just asked DWP, and they say it will only be for NEW claimants. So as I am already in receipt of an S1 it will continue

Huge sigh of relief
Old Oct 11th 2013, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Capn Billy, I find it unclear.
Do you find it clear on what happens to those who have already left the UK,, are in receipt of an S1 because of past contributions, but are not quite yet of pensionable age?
In other words me. In theory my S1 should have last till my wife qualifies for her state pension. So are they retrospective changes I suppose is the question.
S1s are normally issued based on your NI contributions for previous years ( From memory think its 3). It will last for a period of upto 2.5 years, depending upon your contibutions, although most people seem to get 18 months. When it ends, thats it, you don't get another S1. An S1 issued before April 2014 will still be valid AFAIAA
Old Oct 11th 2013, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

mogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud of

I have just phoned DWP to apply for ours. They will no longer issue S1 forms after March 31st 2014. After that date all existing certs will continue as before.
If you move to a EU country after that date it will be private health cover only

We apply for ours in January and they have confirmed that we will be covered until January 2016. You can only apply 4 weeks before you leave and must have a Spanish address
Old Oct 11th 2013, 2:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see anything in the documentation that suggests that it would apply to pensioners who want cover when they have moved.

It seems more connected with the situation where residents of one country wish to go for treatment in another country and have the costs covered by their country of residence.

Last edited by Fred James; Oct 11th 2013 at 2:53 pm.